Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Looking for advice on my Live-Streaming Audio set-up.

Hello, id like to start off by saying i have practically no experience with audio equipment and a lot of the terms will go straight over my head, i know just barely enough to use my audio mixer for the purposes i have been using it.

I am currently in the process of upgrading my Live streaming set-up and am getting a bit confused as to how to handle my audio set-up with my mixer due to some changes in equipment.

for those not aware of the live streaming scene; i basically review an discuss live game-play of video games on a variety of platforms, think radio but with video..

To make things easier i am going to give a rough idea of how my set-up used to be:

I have an se2200a ii condenser mic wired up to my Behringer Xenyx QX1204USB. i use the Audio mixer to manage the volume levels of my microphone pc game-play, console game audio and music individual while i am streaming. i also had my Aux sends 1 hooked up to my speakers, so i can send just my game audio.. or game audio + Skype chat (if i'm streaming with a friend) to my speakers for me to hear. my Aux sends 2 was leading back into the computers microphone port so i can send just my voice from the mic to Skype.
When combined with all my console video cables etc this becomes a mess of wires that is difficult to keep track of.

The problem i am now having is that i have got my hands on a 7.1 Surround sound speaker system for gaming and a 7.1 sound card for my pc. this connects to the speakers using 5-6 3.5mm jacks for left right front and back speakers + sub-woofer. To further confuse myself my pc has been moved to a different room with extension cables running through a hole i drilled in the wall( this was so that my microphone would no longer pick up vibrations from my pcs cooling system, allowing me to stream games with the graphics at max), so i am also concerned about the loss of sound quality over the longer 2m-5m extension cables i am using.

What i want to do is preserve the surround sound so that while playing games i hear enemy's and events behind me from the rear speakers, things in front of me from the front speakers etc, but i also need to output all my audio to the mixer so that my stream will still hear it.
As the mixer is not a 7.1 multichannel 'whatever' type of sound, my old set-up (using aux sends to output game audio to the speakers) no longer works for this.

In addition 90% of my Games consoles output their surround sound audio in the format of a Digital optical cable, which the speaker system does not accept. they need to send sound both to the speakers and to my mixer for the live stream to pick-up. in the past i had been using independently powered conversion boxes to turn my optical out to a stereo audio and then into my mixer. as this compresses all the different speaker directions into one audio channel this is no longer viable with a 7.1 speaker set-up.

In short i am completely lost,
I appreciate any help or advice on this issue as the sooner i work out what i need the sooner i can get back to my live streaming schedule.

Lina Greyfall
LinaGreyfall Contributor - Level 1 2016-01-29

2016-01-29

Looking for advice on my Live-Streaming Audio set-up.

Hello, id like to start off by saying i have practically no experience with audio equipment and a lot of the terms will go straight over my head, i know just barely enough to use my audio mixer for the purposes i have been using it.

I am currently in the process of upgrading my Live streaming set-up and am getting a bit confused as to how to handle my audio set-up with my mixer due to some changes in equipment.

for those not aware of the live streaming scene; i basically review an discuss live game-play of video games on a variety of platforms, think radio but with video..

To make things easier i am going to give a rough idea of how my set-up used to be:

I have an se2200a ii condenser mic wired up to my Behringer Xenyx QX1204USB. i use the Audio mixer to manage the volume levels of my microphone pc game-play, console game audio and music individual while i am streaming. i also had my Aux sends 1 hooked up to my speakers, so i can send just my game audio.. or game audio + Skype chat (if i'm streaming with a friend) to my speakers for me to hear. my Aux sends 2 was leading back into the computers microphone port so i can send just my voice from the mic to Skype.
When combined with all my console video cables etc this becomes a mess of wires that is difficult to keep track of.

The problem i am now having is that i have got my hands on a 7.1 Surround sound speaker system for gaming and a 7.1 sound card for my pc. this connects to the speakers using 5-6 3.5mm jacks for left right front and back speakers + sub-woofer. To further confuse myself my pc has been moved to a different room with extension cables running through a hole i drilled in the wall( this was so that my microphone would no longer pick up vibrations from my pcs cooling system, allowing me to stream games with the graphics at max), so i am also concerned about the loss of sound quality over the longer 2m-5m extension cables i am using.

What i want to do is preserve the surround sound so that while playing games i hear enemy's and events behind me from the rear speakers, things in front of me from the front speakers etc, but i also need to output all my audio to the mixer so that my stream will still hear it.
As the mixer is not a 7.1 multichannel 'whatever' type of sound, my old set-up (using aux sends to output game audio to the speakers) no longer works for this.

In addition 90% of my Games consoles output their surround sound audio in the format of a Digital optical cable, which the speaker system does not accept. they need to send sound both to the speakers and to my mixer for the live stream to pick-up. in the past i had been using independently powered conversion boxes to turn my optical out to a stereo audio and then into my mixer. as this compresses all the different speaker directions into one audio channel this is no longer viable with a 7.1 speaker set-up.

In short i am completely lost,
I appreciate any help or advice on this issue as the sooner i work out what i need the sooner i can get back to my live streaming schedule.

Lina Greyfall

Contributor - Level 2

Re: Looking for advice on my Live-Streaming Audio set-up.

If you are fine with 5.1 you could use a XR18 + Teufel Decoderstation 5.
This will give you the full flexibility of routing, recording and mixing.
With some tricks you could even generate a ProLogic Surround compatible stereo mix for the stream.