Contributor - Level 3

Looking for vocal FX help (female lead)

I’m looking for FX advice or even a set of presets I can use for a female lead vocal. She has perfect pitch (ear and voice), but but not much power or richness to her voice - pure but young sounding. Is there a “3 packs a day” effect? Lol.

Any ideas are appreciated.

-E
EllisLampman Contributor - Level 3 2018-10-17

2018-10-17

Looking for vocal FX help (female lead)

I’m looking for FX advice or even a set of presets I can use for a female lead vocal. She has perfect pitch (ear and voice), but but not much power or richness to her voice - pure but young sounding. Is there a “3 packs a day” effect? Lol.

Any ideas are appreciated.

-E

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Looking for vocal FX help (female lead)

Hey guys,
Maybe this is a “figure it out fir yourself” kind of thing, which I get, but I was just hoping for a tip on an effects send that I could work with.

I tried spending some time playing with effects with the vocalist, but doesn’t last long...

-E
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Ellis,

Not sure what will work. But have you tried the various presets here? I particularly like the 36-BBM Female Vox.efx in the Vintage Reverb folder. The other one I frequently use is the Vocal Plate 2.efx in the Plate Reverb folder.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks Paul, I’ve just tried some plate reverb, delay and stereo chorus, but am a noob at vocal fx. Thanks for the help, I’ll try that parameter.

-E
Contributor - Level 2

I put a reverb in FX1 and a delay in FX2. I change delay times and feedback for each song but my goto delay is between 180ms-200ms and 12% feedback. The delay can fatten her vocals, the parametric equalizer(PEQ) on the channel strip can do a lot too. Add both reverb and delay until you get the desired FX and then maybe back off just a hair.

Be careful not to put FX on your FX. It's easy to do on the xair and the results are really horrible.
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks Kevin,
Not sure what you mean about the last sentence “ Fx on Fx”?
Contributor - Level 2

On the xair you have FX sends on your FX buses. It's very easy to accidently put reverb on your reverb or delay on your delay creating sort of an endless loop of fx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHF2k91dDuw
I think at about the 3 minute mark in the video I show how to check if you have made this mistake and how to fix it.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

I’ll check that out. It sounds like a thing to know about, just in case...