Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

M32 + M32C controllin via switch or router

Contributor - Level 2
Benny Augustyniak here, new to the forum and with questions.
First, this is a great forum!!!!

In the studio I sometimes visit they have now a M32 + M32C+DL32 but not setup yet.
What is the best way to control the both at the same time on a PC with M32 edit, a network switch or a router?
At this time they will not use a wireless pad or so.

Haven't looked at the back of the M32 but have seen pictures with also a USB to control the M32.
The M32C has only a Ethernet connection so combining the 2 is it best both on Ethernet to not interfere with other USB devices?
Is Ethernet faster or more reliable than USB?
Thanks!!!!
Benny
3 REPLIES 3

Re: M32 + M32C controllin via switch or router

Contributor - Level 3
A switch will be fine, as long as you set up the computers and consoles correctly. A wifi router with a built in switch would make things easier if the network ever needed to be expanded, and they’re not that much more expensive. I’d just get a wifi router and be done with it.

Both consoles will have their own ip addresses. Assuming the consoles and computer are all on the same network, you can run multiple instances of Edit on the one computer, each instance pointed at the relevant console’s unique IP address.

The USB connection is the 32x32 expansion card. It’s just audio transport, it doesn’t really do control (except for a bit of midi.) Just use the Ethernet ports.

Thanks for answer / M32 + M32C controlling via switch or router

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Craig Fowler,
thanks for the fast answer.

Maybe I am wrong but have seen pictures of a M32 with in the remote block a USB connection.
Still will recommend them a router as the M32C has no USB.

Greetings Benny.

Craig Fowler;152228 wrote:
A switch will be fine, as long as you set up the computers and consoles correctly. A wifi router with a built in switch would make things easier if the network ever needed to be expanded, and they’re not that much more expensive. I’d just get a wifi router and be done with it.

Both consoles will have their own ip addresses. Assuming the consoles and computer are all on the same network, you can run multiple instances of Edit on the one computer, each instance pointed at the relevant console’s unique IP address.

The USB connection is the 32x32 expansion card. It’s just audio transport, it doesn’t really do control (except for a bit of midi.) Just use the Ethernet ports.

Re: M32 + M32C controllin via switch or router

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Benny,

Welcome to the forum. I believe the very first model of the X32 did in fact have that USB port. But it was never implemented. As far as I know all current X32/M32 models do not have this port. External control is done via ethernet only.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors