Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

M32c > x32core > Midas board m32

Contributor - Level 2
We currently use a x32 core for in ear monitors and we just bought an m32c to expand in-ear monitor use. So we can have two groups of 10 each using m32-q connected to each of the. Core units via their respective IP address.

My question is when daisy chaining in the new m32c does it matter the order in which the signal flow runs? Example x32core> m32c> Midas board

Thanks
11 REPLIES

Re: M32c > x32core > Midas board m32

Contributor - Level 3
You can set it up pretty much any way you like, as long as:
Only one console is clock master.
The other consoles are set to slave correctly.
You set up the routing correctly.

How are you getting signals out of the core(s) to feed monitors? If you have other stageboxes there you haven't mentioned, that could change things.

Contributor - Level 2
thank you for your response - currently we use the outs on two DL-16 stage boxes to send to wireless units. so we have been using linked mix busses on the X32 core.

Contributor - Level 2
so we are able to get signals to the m32 board x32core and m32c. I CAN control the mix of in-ears using m32-Q on the x32core when logged in to its IP address. when I log into the m32C using the m32-Q app using the IP address of the m32C I can see a signal on the main fader of the m32-Q app but see no signals for each instrument channel and cannot control volumes per channel
here is our routing

x32 core - set as master
M32 board - input AES50 A
M32C rack - input AES50B from M32 Board AES50B

any thoughts

routing for x32 core , m32C and Midas M32 board

Contributor - Level 2
we have tried various routing -

stage boxes Aes50 into X32 core as master to Midas board as AES50A
from Midas board AES50B to AES50A of M32C

problem encountered is that we can connect the M32-Q app to either rack device via their respective IP address but can only control the mix for the X32 Core - I assume because the stage boxes go to it directly.

Is there a way to use each rack device separately as in ear monitor rack. with just one feed from stage.

Our wireless boxes are connected to the stage boxes outs.

is it possible to do what I am thinking or do I need additional equipment?

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Craig, if you could please review my other posts....I am stuck on this issue. 

in short we want to use to rack devices M32C and x32 core as in-ear devices.

We have 3 stage boxes (DL-16) and use the outs on those to feed sennheiser wireless in-ear devices. 

We have been using the x32 core for in-ears and that worked fine but want to expand to be able to use another m32C to allow for 10 more in-ear users.

Problem is we can connect to each rack device via its IP address using the m32-Q app but only one (the master set to INT) is mixable with the phone app.

It seems we may be missing a peice of gear in here somewhere to allow us to use both rack devices as in ear monitors.

thanks in advance

Bryan Baker

Volunteer Moderator
Can you post your scenes for review?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2

Contributor - Level 3

Briefly glanced at the scenes.  There are only 2 there.  The third file is a channel preset.

The problem with using multiple monitor consoles for the same inputs (assuming you want monitor channel processing different to FOH channel processing) is keeping the channel processing consistent between the two monitor consoles.  You don't want a lead vocalist eq'd one way in one bunch of monitors, and eq'd differently in a different bunch of monitors; someone will end up off pitch.

If alternatively you're happy with having the same channel processing in monitors as is in FOH, and you're just using multiple monitor consoles purely for the extra buses, this becomes a lot easier.

Assuming you *do* want different channel processing in monitors compared with FOH, I think I have a routing solution (though it has some caveats) which can work, but need to confirm a few details first.

In one post you write that you have 2 DL16s, in another you write that you have 3.  How many do you actually have?

(Assuming 3 DL16s and 32 mics) are all the mics connected to the first 2x DL16s? (ie the 3rd DL16 is purely for output; its preamps are unused.)

Do FOH outputs need to come out of the DL16s, or do they need to come out of the FOH console's own XLR outputs?

It looks like you've got some other outputs from the FOH console (some wedges, a HA etc.)  Do these need to come out of the DL16s, or the FOH console's own local XLR outs?  Keep in mind if you've got 3x DL16s and want 20x monitor mixes (10 per Core,) that only leaves 4x outputs available on the DL16s to fit the rest of the FOH mixes.

I can understand each musician using their own tablet\phone to control their own monitor mix, but how (who) controls the actual channel processing for individual channels in those monitor mixes?

Do any signals connected directly to the FOH console (eg the card in (click) other aux ins, talkback) need to make it to the monitor consoles?  I presume the click + TB would, but are there any others?

Is the computer you're using for the Click running Windows?  If so, there's an app that can keep processing between 2 consoles the same, which would help.

Are you using the AuxIO for any inserts?  I notice there is CR+HA outputs staged there.  Do they have to be on TRS or can they move to XLR?

You mention have 10 people on each Core, but the one Core scene you did upload shows 14 buses (7 stereo) in use.  A single Core can't accommodate 10x stereo mixes.  At most you could have 9x (if you don't use FX and you use the Core's LR bus.)  How do you plan to fit 20x stereo mixes across 2 Cores, and fit 40 outputs onto 3 DL16s.  I'm not meaning to be facetious there, I just need the right info to help find the right solution, and ensure you're not misled and don't feel disappointed afterward when you find out the gear isn't equipped to do what you thought it would do.

Contributor - Level 2

thank you very much for the detailed reply , let me clarify a few things. we have 3 DL16s. we added the third one to use the outs to feed three addtl sennheiser wireless in-ear boxes. Our x32 core we use the 7 stereo linked buses for in-ear feed and two buses for fx for the vocals. the original intent was to add the second rack m32c to put the vocalists on it so they don't have to share a reverb. right now we use one bus for the lead vocalist that the lead vox can control with m32Q app and any additional vocalist share a reverb and this causes us many issues when vocalists are trying to hear themselves but turn down another vocalist that is sharing the same reverb the person they turn down in the mix get washed out and sound far away due to the shared reverb. There are no inputs being used on the 3rd DL-16 only outs. FOH outs come from the midas m32 FOH console xlrs I think but will confirm. also we wouldn't necessarily want 20 people using the in-ear system in stereo at this time ( i was being to general in my comment there). So right now we wouldn't have more than 7 stereo in-ear mixes but need a solution for the reverbs for vocals and that is our main concern. I will work on getting answers to your other questions

Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudo Given
  • Contributors