tannermw Contributor - Level 2 a month ago

a month ago

M32r Insert Post EQ/Comp, Pre-Fader

I'm setting up an M32r for student use at a community college. My ideal routing would include a channel insert post eq/compression, but pre-fader. The graphic in the configuration screen seems to verify that the secondary insert position is between the eq/comp and the channel fader, but when I send the Direct Outs to pro tools Pre-Fader+M, the insert is not heard, as if it were set post-fader. It works fine in the first position pre-eq/comp, but I want to give students the option if it's available. Am I missing something or is the signal chain graphic misleading?

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies

Accepted Solutions

Re: M32r Insert Post EQ/Comp, Pre-Fader

Super Contributor - Level 2

@tannermw 

Hi Tanner, welcome to the community.

The Pre Fader signal tap is before the Post insert point. See the X32 Block Diagram for help with this.

@tannermw 

Hi Tanner, welcome to the community.

The Pre Fader signal tap is before the Post insert point. See the X32 Block Diagram for help with this.

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to see. Is this a typical layout for this kind of signal chain or is it just Midas that does it this way? It seems unnecessarily limiting, but I am new to this.

Volunteer Moderator

Hi Tanner,

Welcome to the forum. You can change the insert point to pre or post processing (on the channel home, config screen).

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2

Also, it seems that the the order goes eq/comp - Pre-fader tap - Post Insert - Mute - Channel Fader.
If the direct out is set to Pre-Fader+M, shouldn't that include the insert since the mute point is afterwards? Or does the Mute in the direct out not correlate to the Mute directly before the fader?

@tannermw wrote:

Also, it seems that the the order goes eq/comp - Pre-fader tap - Post Insert - Mute - Channel Fader.
If the direct out is set to Pre-Fader+M, shouldn't that include the insert since the mute point is afterwards? Or does the Mute in the direct out not correlate to the Mute directly before the fader?

@tannermw 

The +M designation for a signal tap means that the mute state will be reflected - regardless of where the tap is in the signal path. It doesn't mean that the tap is after the Mute switch.

I'm surprised you find the M32/X32 signal processing limited. It is a lot more flexible than other consoles in the same price range. If you want maximum flexibility, DAW mixers like Harrison Mixbus allow you to reorder almost every part of the signal chain. 

Highlighted

Contributor - Level 2

Good to know. Thanks so much!