Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

MIDI "thru" not working?

Here's my setup,

i7 5820k, 32g of RAM, Windows 10, running Reaper with an RME UFX interfacing input from an outboard synthesizer (FutureRetro XS), and a Motor49 controller connected to the PC, controlling Reaper via USB. All programs and devices are updated to the latest firmware, cabling is tested and all devices are (as far as Im aware) routed as they should be.

What Im trying to do is to get MIDI notes recorded in Reaper to be sent from the UFX's MIDI 1 port through the Motor49 to the FutureRetro XS on Reaper playback. Cabling is set up thusly: Motor49 is connected to the PC via USB and setup as per the Reaper setup guide in the Motor49 instruction manual. It's functioning as expected. The Moto49 is also connected to the FutureRetroXS's MIDI IN port via MIDI from the Motor49's MIDI OUT port. The UFX is connected to the Motor49's MIDI THRU port from the the UFX's MIDI OUT port. "UFX MIDI Port 1" is selected as a hardware output n the Reaper track on which the Motor49 is selected as the input. On playback of recorded MIDI data, the UFX's onboard MIDI activity light blinks, ensuring MIDI data is indeed being sent from the UFX's MIDI OUT port (indeed, directly connecting the UFX to the FutureRetroXS's MIDI IN port via the UFX's MIDI OUT port confirms the data is being sent).

For some reason, when connected to the Motor49's THRU port, no playback sent from the UFX's MIDI OUT occurs. In fact, even when the Motor49 is selected as the hardware output, recorded MIDI data is not played back (which, as I understand, should be the expected behaviour).

In Global Settings, MIDI THRU MODE is set to THRU, and I've tried changing USB OUTPUT MODE to THRU, as well as setting the MIDI clock to EXTERNAL with no luck.

Ive basically narrowed the problem down to a setting either in the Motor49 GLOBAL menu, or potentially a hardware routing setting in Reaper, but if anyone has any ideas on how to help me out, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
MortSubite Contributor - Level 2 2017-06-28

2017-06-28

MIDI "thru" not working?

Here's my setup,

i7 5820k, 32g of RAM, Windows 10, running Reaper with an RME UFX interfacing input from an outboard synthesizer (FutureRetro XS), and a Motor49 controller connected to the PC, controlling Reaper via USB. All programs and devices are updated to the latest firmware, cabling is tested and all devices are (as far as Im aware) routed as they should be.

What Im trying to do is to get MIDI notes recorded in Reaper to be sent from the UFX's MIDI 1 port through the Motor49 to the FutureRetro XS on Reaper playback. Cabling is set up thusly: Motor49 is connected to the PC via USB and setup as per the Reaper setup guide in the Motor49 instruction manual. It's functioning as expected. The Moto49 is also connected to the FutureRetroXS's MIDI IN port via MIDI from the Motor49's MIDI OUT port. The UFX is connected to the Motor49's MIDI THRU port from the the UFX's MIDI OUT port. "UFX MIDI Port 1" is selected as a hardware output n the Reaper track on which the Motor49 is selected as the input. On playback of recorded MIDI data, the UFX's onboard MIDI activity light blinks, ensuring MIDI data is indeed being sent from the UFX's MIDI OUT port (indeed, directly connecting the UFX to the FutureRetroXS's MIDI IN port via the UFX's MIDI OUT port confirms the data is being sent).

For some reason, when connected to the Motor49's THRU port, no playback sent from the UFX's MIDI OUT occurs. In fact, even when the Motor49 is selected as the hardware output, recorded MIDI data is not played back (which, as I understand, should be the expected behaviour).

In Global Settings, MIDI THRU MODE is set to THRU, and I've tried changing USB OUTPUT MODE to THRU, as well as setting the MIDI clock to EXTERNAL with no luck.

Ive basically narrowed the problem down to a setting either in the Motor49 GLOBAL menu, or potentially a hardware routing setting in Reaper, but if anyone has any ideas on how to help me out, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Triber Moderator

Re: MIDI "thru" not working?

Hi Mort,

I reached out to our developers to ask about this and they seem to think that the problem seems to be a wrong hardware routing.

You wrote “The UFX is connected to the Motor49's MIDI THRU port from the the UFX's MIDI OUT port.”

A MIDI THRU port is generally working as an “out” port (as on every MIDI hardware). So if you connect from the interface’s MIDI OUT socket to MOTÖR’s MIDI THRU socket, no signal can flow (it’s like an “out-to-out” connection). The 5-pin MIDI THRU port can only receive its “out-sending” signal from the MOTÖR panel (or keys), incoming USB signal, or (the most typical application) from the MIDI IN 5-pin DIN socket.

Here's some more background information regarding details to the data flow for the different MIDI THRU and USB modes on the MOTÖR:

- GLOBAL > 1. MIDI > 5. MIDI THRU MODE > 1. THRU:
* Input from ext. devices (MIDI in + USB in) is sent out via THRU socket
* No MOTÖR panel/keys-data sent out via THRU socket

- GLOBAL > 1. MIDI > 5. MIDI THRU MODE > 2. MERGE:
* Same as above (1. THRU), but add. MOTÖR control data/notes are sent out (merged) via MIDI THRU DIN socket

- GLOBAL > 1. MIDI > 6. USB OUT MODE > 1. OUT:
* Keys send to USB + MIDI OUT
* USB In sends to Keyb (but not to MIDI)
* MIDI In sends to Keyb (but not to USB)
- GLOBAL > 1. MIDI > 6. USB OUT MODE > 2. THRU:
* Keys send to MIDI OUT (but not to USB)
* MIDI In sends to USB + Keyb
- GLOBAL > 1. MIDI > 6. USB OUT MODE > 3. MERGE:
* Keys send to USB + MIDI OUT
* MIDI In sends to USB + Keyb

As you can see above, for all 3 USB modes there is no option to passing through incoming MIDI signals from USB (e.g. the MIDI playback from the DAW) to the MIDI OUT DIN socket of the MOTÖR.

So the routing could get changed as followed:
- MOTÖR (at default USB OUT MODE > 1. OUT) > USB cable > PC
* for recording the played keys / wheels data into the DAW
* and playing the hardware synth by “soft-thru” the DAW (see below)
- External (MIDI) interface > USB/FW cable > PC
- External interface’s MIDI OUT > hardware synthesizer’s MIDI IN
- Now activate both MIDI interfaces at the DAW’s setup page (example Reaper):
* Strg + P > opens “Preferences”
* Select > “MIDI Devices”
* Activate all required MIDI I/Os from the listed interfaces
§ Input: “MOTÖR61 Keyboard > Enable+Control”
§ Output: “Ext. Interface MIDI Out > Enable+Clock”
§ Press Apply > press OK (to close the window)
- Insert > New Track
- Select at this track:
* Input MIDI > MOTÖR61 Keyboard > All Channels
* Route > MIDI Hardware Output > Ext. Interface MIDI Out, then close the window
* Select “Record Armed” (to enable recording)
* Select “Recording Monitoring: AUTO”
(to route the incoming MIDI signal from MOTÖR, to the Ext. interface MIDI OUT > to the Synthesizer’s MIDI IN)
* Now you can listen while playing to your synth, record MIDI data, and play/control the ext. synth from the MOTÖR

All of this assumes that the external synth's audio output goes to the external interface’s audio input, to record the signal via ASIO driver on an audio track of the DAW.

Hope this helps clarify things for you, please let us know if this helps at all and please enjoy your weekend. Smiley Wink
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

Re: MIDI "thru" not working?

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I was unaware that THRU was essentially an "OUT" port, so all that was required was that I swap some cabling on the FR, and it's working as expected now!

Most helpful, and hopefully this will aid anyone with a similar problem in the future.

Thanks!