Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

MP3 Playback

Now that MP3 players no longer require licensing fees from Fraunhoffer, will we see MP3 playback capability added to the jump drive slot soon? WAV files are such a waste of space, and I don't like having to run my board at 44.1 just to accommodate the break music I have on my jump drives. (yes, I know I could resample them all to 48, but that would waste even more jump drive space than it already does).
Thanks.
TrevorNelson Contributor - Level 3 2017-06-14

2017-06-14

MP3 Playback

Now that MP3 players no longer require licensing fees from Fraunhoffer, will we see MP3 playback capability added to the jump drive slot soon? WAV files are such a waste of space, and I don't like having to run my board at 44.1 just to accommodate the break music I have on my jump drives. (yes, I know I could resample them all to 48, but that would waste even more jump drive space than it already does).
Thanks.

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Seriously??

It's been three weeks since I posted my - extremely simple - question. Not even a 'yes' or 'no' or 'we're looking into it'?
I have to say, this is seriously disappointing, Behringer. You used to do better than this.
Contributor - Level 3

Re: MP3 Playback

Hi Trevor. You have to remember that this is basically a U2U forum and, although Behringer keep an eye on it, there are rarely any answers to posts from them especially where feature requests are concerned. So what's posted here may enter their backlog for consideration but won't be commented on until they have a something for release, if at all.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Sad. They used to keep tabs on this stuff quite regularly. Shame they're not 'listening' quite like they used to.
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Actually they are listening and reading the various posts. It is just that it is now a policy to not comment on what is being developed until such time as it is nearing production. Case in point. About 4 years ago, I was pushing them to make a ADA8200 like input/output device, but with AES50. Even though they chose not to tell me, the SD8 was the results (and SD16 as icing on the cake).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Yes WAV files are bigger but also quality. MP3 is nice for DJ's but for a soundcheck I do not want compressed files.

And with today big thumpdrives what is the problem of using WAV files?
I'm using an 32Gb stick for soundcheck, playback and recording at 48KHz and can get a lot of show hours on this stick.
Varomedia theater audio solutions
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Drive size

If I recall we’ll, 1 minute of stereo audio sampled at 48kHz takes a bit of over 10MB uncompressed (AIFF or WAV).

A cheap 32GB flash drive therefore holds some 50 hours of UNCOMPRESSED stereo audio. I know it is always good to be frugal with storage space and not needlessly waste it, but does it truly matter much (if at all) whether you can store 2 days of non-stop music vs. one month? If two days isn’t enough, wouldn’t a slightly more expensive 128GB be a cheaper investment than reducing the audio quality in order to fit it in a smaller drive?