Contributor - Level 2

Media Player playback options?

Anyone have a suggestion for a media player for Windows pc with the ability to have a playlist ready but only one song plays and then stops until you cue up the next song you want?
There are times where I'll have several people or groups performing in succession, some with backing tracks, some playing instruments. I've downloaded 6 different media players today, made a 3 song playlist and went through every option in each programs preferences and have not found one that allows me to cue up and play 1 song at a time without automatically starting the next song in the playlist. I used Soundforge in the past as my media player to accomplish this and it works great, but it's not an option at this venue right now.
I'm sure my old brain decided to take some time off and I can't seem to find a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Side note: This is the fourth venue I've installed the X32 in over the past 3 years, (2 full size, 2 compacts), worked with an older analog mackie for a year at this current location and it gave up the ghost a month ago, so in came a new x32 compact . Also had the opportunity to use a 16.4.2ai at another venue the last couple of weeks, beginning to figure out the workflow differences with it, sounds good, does the job but the x32 line is a little more enjoyable to use for me.
Tags (1)
HowardBrown Contributor - Level 2 2018-12-20

2018-12-20

Media Player playback options?

Anyone have a suggestion for a media player for Windows pc with the ability to have a playlist ready but only one song plays and then stops until you cue up the next song you want?
There are times where I'll have several people or groups performing in succession, some with backing tracks, some playing instruments. I've downloaded 6 different media players today, made a 3 song playlist and went through every option in each programs preferences and have not found one that allows me to cue up and play 1 song at a time without automatically starting the next song in the playlist. I used Soundforge in the past as my media player to accomplish this and it works great, but it's not an option at this venue right now.
I'm sure my old brain decided to take some time off and I can't seem to find a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Side note: This is the fourth venue I've installed the X32 in over the past 3 years, (2 full size, 2 compacts), worked with an older analog mackie for a year at this current location and it gave up the ghost a month ago, so in came a new x32 compact . Also had the opportunity to use a 16.4.2ai at another venue the last couple of weeks, beginning to figure out the workflow differences with it, sounds good, does the job but the x32 line is a little more enjoyable to use for me.

• 0 Kudos
  • 10 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Media Player playback options?

Howard Brown;157296 wrote:

I can think of a few.
* VLC
* XM Player
* X32-Edit with the built-in USB player
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

Multiplay will do what you want.
Varomedia theater audio solutions
Contributor - Level 2

not on windows but on android there's "backing track studio" which is what i personally use for these sort of things...
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at XM Player, Multiplay and Backing Track Studio when I'm back home and have my laptop, phones a little hard on the eyes this late in the day!
I found a work around this afternoon with the VLC Player loaded on the pc, right click on each file and open in separate VLC window, don't know why that never occurred to me in the first place. That worked ok for 2 - 4 songs but more than 4 it will get a little cluttered navigating on screen.
Thanks again for the input
Volunteer Moderator

Howard, there is a setting in VLC that will change the playback of a playlist to single song. In the Tools, Preferences, Playlist (show all settings), select the Play and Stop.

In XM Play, in the Options and Stuff, Playlist, unselect the Auto Advance.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Vannatto;157341 wrote:
Howard, there is a setting in VLC that will change the playback of a playlist to single song. In the Tools, Preferences, Playlist (show all settings), select the Play and Stop.

Paul, I feel a little bad now because I didn't get you anything for Christmas Smiley Very Happy
Thank you very much!
I've been using VLC for several years and have searched through preferences many times looking to resolve this but never noticed the show all settings, sometimes I guess you can't see the forest for the trees...
Such a simple thing I'm a little embarrassed it has stumped me for so long. I don't post very often but the forum has been a great resource for information for me the last 3 years.
Thank all of you for your time and help.
Howard
Volunteer Moderator

Howard Brown;157412 wrote:
Paul, I feel a little bad now because I didn't get you anything for Christmas Smiley Very Happy
Thank you very much!

That's OK Howard, I have too much stuff as it is. I have a 1 1/2 car garage and the vehicles park in the driveway Smiley Wink

I've been using VLC for several years and have searched through preferences many times looking to resolve this but never noticed the show all settings, sometimes I guess you can't see the forest for the trees...
Such a simple thing I'm a little embarrassed it has stumped me for so long. I don't post very often but the forum has been a great resource for information for me the last 3 years.
Thank all of you for your time and help.

Thank you for your kind words and you are most welcome. Its those little tips and tricks that make this forum such a great place to hang out, eh?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

It's not quite what you described, but I've come to really like MPD.

https://www.musicpd.org/

It's a client/server architecture across a network, but all that really means is that they've separated the player itself from the user interface. The player runs on the "server" with no UI at all, and the "client" is *only* a UI that does not actually play anything itself. That said though, there's nothing to say that the "client" and "server" can't be installed on the same machine.

The way that I use it is to install the server end of it (what you actually get from the website above) on a Pi, and put it next to the mixer. (XR18 in my case, using the multitrack USB connection) Load my music on the Pi, and run a client app on whatever I want to control it with. (I like GMPC for Windows and Linux: https://gmpclient.org/ )

It has:
- A single mode that stops after one track, or continues on.
- A consume mode that removes the just-played file from the now-playing list, or keeps it to revisit later.
- A shuffle/random mode that is guaranteed to play the entire list without repeating. (basically shuffle, play through, shuffle again, play through again, etc.)
- The standard repeat one/all modes.
And of course, it can play anything that the machine you install it on can, which can't be said for any embedded player that I've seen.
Contributor - Level 2

Aaron, thanks for the heads up. That could be a good option for me if I do an install at a permanent location that will use backing tracks often. Some pull the trigger and get Pro Presenter or Easy Worship or something similar, but some don't! The consume mode you mentioned would really come in handy in a longer show, that could keep someone (um, like me) from starting a song that has already been done and save a little embarrassment