Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Mic'ing an amp

Hello,

Currently, in my band I plug my electric guitar directly into my MR18 mixer via an active DI box.  I have decided that I want to play my guitar through a mic'ed amp.  The Gutar is a G&L Bluesboy and the amp is a Fender Hotrod Deluxe.

Can someone give me some tutalidge on how I should do this.  Where and how far from the amp should I place the mic.  What settings should I set the amp to.  Maybe some initial mixer settings, gate, EQ, compressor.  Also what mic would you suggest?

Once agian, thanks in advance for any advice.

WilliamPanto Contributor - Level 2 2019-09-02

2019-09-02

Mic'ing an amp

Hello,

Currently, in my band I plug my electric guitar directly into my MR18 mixer via an active DI box.  I have decided that I want to play my guitar through a mic'ed amp.  The Gutar is a G&L Bluesboy and the amp is a Fender Hotrod Deluxe.

Can someone give me some tutalidge on how I should do this.  Where and how far from the amp should I place the mic.  What settings should I set the amp to.  Maybe some initial mixer settings, gate, EQ, compressor.  Also what mic would you suggest?

Once agian, thanks in advance for any advice.

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Mic'ing an amp

@WilliamPanto wrote:

I have decided that I want to play my guitar through a mic'ed amp.  The Gutar is a G&L Bluesboy and the amp is a Fender Hotrod Deluxe.

Can someone give me some tutalidge on how I should do this. 

Get yourself an amp stand - one that will allow you to tilt the amp so that the speaker aims at your head, not your knee caps. Then get a Sennheiser e609 (lollipop) mic and drape it over the speaker (run the XLR cable through the amp handle to hold the mic in place). 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!