Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Mic not working with UMC202HD interface

Hi,

I'm new to all of this and just looking for a setup to record some vocals. I'm usin a ZingYou BM-800 condenser mic with a Behringer UMC202HD interface. It's plugged straight into my USB3.0 port (Lenovo ThinkPad, if that makes any difference). The driver is installed, and my laptop recognises the device. I just can't get the mic to work at all - the signal light on the UMC202HD is never on. Any ideas on what to do? Both the power and phantom power lights are on.

Manji Contributor - Level 2 2019-10-16

2019-10-16

Mic not working with UMC202HD interface

Hi,

I'm new to all of this and just looking for a setup to record some vocals. I'm usin a ZingYou BM-800 condenser mic with a Behringer UMC202HD interface. It's plugged straight into my USB3.0 port (Lenovo ThinkPad, if that makes any difference). The driver is installed, and my laptop recognises the device. I just can't get the mic to work at all - the signal light on the UMC202HD is never on. Any ideas on what to do? Both the power and phantom power lights are on.

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Mic not working with UMC202HD interface

I just got the UMC and it is not with me. The mic is phantom powered. Do you have the switch for phantom on?

"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Oops missed that. Did you try another cable?

"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

HI Ali ( @Manji ), 

Welcome to the commmunity.  Are you trying to use the cable that came with the mic or are you using a standard XLR female-male cable?  The cable that comes with the mic is designed to get parasitic power from a sound card.  Phantom power is only available on the XLR pins of the 202HD.  

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I'm using a standard XLR female-male cable I had at home - the cable that came with the mic was XLR female-jack. Is there a specific XLR cable I should get? The 202HD didn't come with any.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Hi @Manji ,

No, a standard XLR cable should work fine.  Do you have any other mic you can try? Even a dynamic one at this point just to make sure the interface is working. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

I am having the same issue. I can hear on the headphones, but am not able to record. Windows failed the mic test. Using standard xlr male female cable. The UCM202HD control panel wont see the mics. Do I need any extra software to use the recorder?

Luis Trochez
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Sadly not, this is the only mic I have. Very confusing.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@lamtrochez wrote:

I am having the same issue. I can hear on the headphones, but am not able to record. Windows failed the mic test. Using standard xlr male female cable. The UCM202HD control panel wont see the mics. Do I need any extra software to use the recorder?

Hi Luis ( @lamtrochez ), 

What you have is not the same issue. If you look at the OP's post, he is not getting the signal LED to light on his mic channel.  If you can hear yourself in your headphones your mic is working.  I'm not sure what you mean by control panel. Do you mean the UMC Control Panel that shows the interface status.  I don't think you'll see a mic there.  For my 404HD, I see IN 1-2 and IN 3-4 for the inputs.  For you, IN 1-2 would be the mic and instrument channels on the 202HD. 

You might want to check your microphone privacy settings.  Windows may be blocking your mic input. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@Manji wrote:

Sadly not, this is the only mic I have. Very confusing.

@Manji ,

This is going to be a touch one to figure out without some additional equipment.  Is there any way you can test the microphone on another interface that has phantom power?  Since you are not getting the signal LED for the mic channel, it's either the mic, the cable, or the interface.  Testing the mic/cable on another interface will narrow it down. Testing with a different cable will tell you if the cable is the problem. Finally, testing with a different mic or testing the mic on a different interface should tell us if the mic is working. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken