Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Midi/X32/QLab Theatre Use Experience

Last night I finished my first show run, Sinbad the Sailor Pantomime, using my new X32 full paired with QLab 4 on MacBook Pro so I thought I'd just put a post up of my experience.

In short I LOVED IT!!!

I had several comments on how much better the sound was over last year that I ran through a A&H GL2400 & QLab. I have no doubt this was down to the excellent control over the audio the X32 gives. I am so glad that I 'went mad' and brought my X32.

I've run all my music cues and SFX through QLab for a couple of years due to it's easy but impressive and comprehensive options to manage and control audio cues especially considering that I was just using the free download as licence payment would have come out of my own pocket... I love the 'non-destructive' way QLab allows the same source file to be used multiple times in the same cue stack but with different timings/fades/lenghts etc.

I know there are options to control video/graphics/projection and lighting control but so far I've had no need or experience of these options.

Part way through the run of the show as I settled into using this great desk I started to tinker/experiment with the Scene/Cue/Snippet options and I have to say "what an arse-ache that was!".
Creating snippets is easy once I got my head around it but the cue setup is difficult to use. It is a definite limitation only being able to fire one scene and snippet per cue. Not having a conventional Keyboard makes it even harder and labelling cues/scenes/snippets very time consuming. I ended up creating the snippets and cues on the desk but using X-Edit on my MacBook Pro to complete the labels...

I then started playing with MIDI! This was almost an epiphany moment to me!

Setting up MIDI (via USB) use was easy:

X32 - Setup - remote.
Remote Interface set to Card MIDI
Control Interface set to Card MIDI
MIDI Receive set to Prog Change

QLab - Add a MIDI cue then under settings tab
MIDI Destination Set to X-USB
Command set to Program Change
Channel 1 fires X32 cues,
Channel 2 fires X32 Snippets
Programme Number relates to X32 cue/snippet number

I'm unsure what other Channel numbers relate to but am interested to know.

Using QLab to fire the snippets was so easy and being able to fire multiple snippets using the auto-follow function (with a 10ms delay between each MIDI cue) and being able to re-use snippets easily made it very simple managing multiple Sennheiser radio mic's for muting/unmuting and the occasional mic swap (Same mic/Tx for 2-3 people) and being able to recall the channel-strip for the individual with just a tap of the space-bar is just incredible flexibility after using the analogue desk for years.
I also had it set up to automatically make fader adjustments for matrix levels (Mtx 1&2 LF, Mtx 3&4 MF-HF) for certain music tracks to compensate of bass heavy etc.

The best bit is that I know that I've only just began to scratch the surface of the snippet/MIDI/QLab capabilities and look forward to exploring this further in due course!

The only down side is that without paying ($4/Day) for the audio licence on QLab, I'm/you're unable to save MIDI cues which assuming that there is no problems is fine for me as I have created a 'Performance Setting' user on my MBP with no screen saver/updates/notifications etc so I can leave QLab open but I would like to be able to save the MIDI cues 'just in case' and as a back-up to a memory stick but I'd have to stop being a cheap-skate for that.....
JamesEdwards Contributor - Level 2 2018-02-04

2018-02-04

Midi/X32/QLab Theatre Use Experience

Last night I finished my first show run, Sinbad the Sailor Pantomime, using my new X32 full paired with QLab 4 on MacBook Pro so I thought I'd just put a post up of my experience.

In short I LOVED IT!!!

I had several comments on how much better the sound was over last year that I ran through a A&H GL2400 & QLab. I have no doubt this was down to the excellent control over the audio the X32 gives. I am so glad that I 'went mad' and brought my X32.

I've run all my music cues and SFX through QLab for a couple of years due to it's easy but impressive and comprehensive options to manage and control audio cues especially considering that I was just using the free download as licence payment would have come out of my own pocket... I love the 'non-destructive' way QLab allows the same source file to be used multiple times in the same cue stack but with different timings/fades/lenghts etc.

I know there are options to control video/graphics/projection and lighting control but so far I've had no need or experience of these options.

Part way through the run of the show as I settled into using this great desk I started to tinker/experiment with the Scene/Cue/Snippet options and I have to say "what an arse-ache that was!".
Creating snippets is easy once I got my head around it but the cue setup is difficult to use. It is a definite limitation only being able to fire one scene and snippet per cue. Not having a conventional Keyboard makes it even harder and labelling cues/scenes/snippets very time consuming. I ended up creating the snippets and cues on the desk but using X-Edit on my MacBook Pro to complete the labels...

I then started playing with MIDI! This was almost an epiphany moment to me!

Setting up MIDI (via USB) use was easy:

X32 - Setup - remote.
Remote Interface set to Card MIDI
Control Interface set to Card MIDI
MIDI Receive set to Prog Change

QLab - Add a MIDI cue then under settings tab
MIDI Destination Set to X-USB
Command set to Program Change
Channel 1 fires X32 cues,
Channel 2 fires X32 Snippets
Programme Number relates to X32 cue/snippet number

I'm unsure what other Channel numbers relate to but am interested to know.

Using QLab to fire the snippets was so easy and being able to fire multiple snippets using the auto-follow function (with a 10ms delay between each MIDI cue) and being able to re-use snippets easily made it very simple managing multiple Sennheiser radio mic's for muting/unmuting and the occasional mic swap (Same mic/Tx for 2-3 people) and being able to recall the channel-strip for the individual with just a tap of the space-bar is just incredible flexibility after using the analogue desk for years.
I also had it set up to automatically make fader adjustments for matrix levels (Mtx 1&2 LF, Mtx 3&4 MF-HF) for certain music tracks to compensate of bass heavy etc.

The best bit is that I know that I've only just began to scratch the surface of the snippet/MIDI/QLab capabilities and look forward to exploring this further in due course!

The only down side is that without paying ($4/Day) for the audio licence on QLab, I'm/you're unable to save MIDI cues which assuming that there is no problems is fine for me as I have created a 'Performance Setting' user on my MBP with no screen saver/updates/notifications etc so I can leave QLab open but I would like to be able to save the MIDI cues 'just in case' and as a back-up to a memory stick but I'd have to stop being a cheap-skate for that.....

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Midi/X32/QLab Theatre Use Experience

Hi James,

Great report. Thanks for posting your experience. I can relate coming from the A&H GL2400, since that is what I also did just over 4 years ago. Even though the GL2400 is a great console, the X32 is so much more fun Smiley Very Happy

If you ever get into a situation that you need to develop a cue list (to fire from QLab), have a look at Show Manager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/m32x32showmanager/), which I developed as an alternative GUI to the one in the X32/M32.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for that Paul,
I’ll keep that in mind and have a look over the next few days.

I don’t suppose you know what the other channels on the MIDI system/map/whatever it’s called are for? You seem to have one hell of a knowledge about these desks!
So far I’ve found out Ch1 = cues and Ch2 = snippets. Do ch3, ch4 etc have any functions?

James.
Volunteer Moderator

James Edwards;139959 wrote:
I don’t suppose you know what the other channels on the MIDI system/map/whatever it’s called are for?

I've attached the official doc.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 1

Nice topic

Ive just started using Qlab some months ago, cueing audio files, lighting scenes (Mk2 Pro) and recalling scenes from my Yamaha console through midi. Next week I'll get my X32 rack and X-touch compact. Im thinking of just use my macbook pro with one extra screen and X-touch at mixing place. X-32 rack with my racked mac mini (playback audio) and wireless microphones on stage connected to my macbook with ethernet. So exited!! Smiley Very Happy
Contributor - Level 2

Nice to see other users here who are also using QLab. I don't do so many theatre shows at this moment, so i didn't come to integrate QLab and my X32 yet.

QLab can also send OSC, unfortunatly also licensed, but more versatile than using midi commands. Maybe it's a good idea to start looking into that with the great documentation of Patrick Maillot. (https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32)

In QLab you can create a network Cue.
Under settings you can enter the OSC command.
as a destnation you need to use the ip address of you x32 and as port 10023

I just tested this with: /ch/03/mix/fader 0,0

I noticed . (dot) in the value doesn't work, but if you change this to , (comma) then it's alright