Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

Midi keyboards on UMC204HD

Contributor - Level 2
Hi everyone!
I'm just looking for a basic cheap midi keyboard (or midi controller if you like) to use it with my U-phoria.... I notice that, most of them, are midi-usb only (no midi out)... is there a way to use them with the UMC204HD?
Otherwise I should look for the ones only with the Midi-out port but there only few models... or any further recommendation would be very welcome.
Thanks for your help! ciao
Riccardo
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Midi keyboards on UMC204HD

Contributor - Level 3
Hi Riccardo,

The 204 should work fine through USB. Or, you can get something like the Monoprice 25 or 49 key MIDI keyboard. These devices will run off USB no problem, but if you use MIDI cables, you will need a power supply (sold separately).

Contributor - Level 2
Thomas Alexander;158685 wrote:
Hi Riccardo,

The 204 should work fine through USB. Or, you can get something like the Monoprice 25 or 49 key MIDI keyboard. These devices will run off USB no problem, but if you use MIDI cables, you will need a power supply (sold separately).

Hi Thomas,
thanks for your reply.
I don't know if I explained correctly... let me check if we're talking about the same matter Smiley Wink

I already use my UMC204Hd on my pc and it's connected by usb cable of course Smiley Happy and it is set as the main soundcard of the pc (so inputs and outputs of the pc are related to the U-phoria umc204hd).

My question is: is it possible to use midi controllers (or midi keyboards) that don't have midi out ports? Just because there are a loto of midi-usb only devices on the market that must be connected to the pc (or to a tablet) by usb... but how should I connect them to my umc204hd if they have a usb output only? If I should connect them to my pc, of course they won't be even recognized bacause they are not connected to the UMC204Hd.

So maybe the monoprice 25/45 keyboards that you recommend would probably be ok (because they have a midi out port) but the most common current midi-usb controllers (Like Akai mpk mkII) won't work because they don't have any midi out port (to get connected to the UMC204HD)... but I'm wondering if there is a way to use them anyway... what do you think?

thanks again... ciao
Riccardo

Contributor - Level 2
Hi,
assumption: you are on win?
Why do you want to connect the MIDI device direct to the interface?
Why not via USB to the computer?
What are you missing doing so?
horst

Contributor - Level 2
Horst Siegert;158691 wrote:
Hi,
assumption: you are on win?
Why do you want to connect the MIDI device direct to the interface?
Why not via USB to the computer?
What are you missing doing so?
horst

Hi Horst,
thanks for your reply.

Yes I'm working on WIn10 pc.

I would like to connect the midi controller directly to the interface because on my pc the UMC204HD is set as the main sound card.... any input on the original pc soundcard is so bypassed (I use the UMC204HD also for exclusive output on the pc)... how would eventually work a usb-midi only controller? Maybe with a virtual cable such as LoopBe Monitor? Or it should work indipendently froom the connection? Sorry if my questions look strange but I'm not very expert

For further info, I'd use the midi-controller with my DAW and related plugins (ie Kontakt or similar, vst instruments, etc). For sure I think by the midi out would be ok - but the product range of the midi controller with midi-out ports is quite limited.

Thanks again for your help
ciao
Riccardo

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Riccardo,

The UMC204HD is a soundcard in the sense that it gets audio in and out of your PC. It is capable of MIDI through the 5 pin DIN jacks which can be connected to keyboards, controllers, or other devices if they have the same type of connections.
A USB controller does not have the need to be physically connected to the UMC204HD nor should it be, as it is used to communicate with software within your computer, not to the interface. A controller can play virtual instruments that reside in the computer or be used to control functions or parameters within a DAW recording software. You'll use another USB port on the computer to connect the controller.
There are instances where you might have a hardware sound module fitted with 5 pin DIN connectors that you wish to play from a controller. The USB connected controller/keyboard would be 'bridged' through software in the computer to send the MIDI information to the UMC204HD and out its 5 pin DIN MIDI ports.
Whatever you want to control within the computer will need to be told what MIDI device will be used as a controller in an Options/Setup selection in the software.
In summary, connect the UMC204HD to one USB port and the controller to another USB port.

Contributor - Level 2
Mark Farrell;158737 wrote:
Hi Riccardo,

The UMC204HD is a soundcard in the sense that it gets audio in and out of your PC. It is capable of MIDI through the 5 pin DIN jacks which can be connected to keyboards, controllers, or other devices if they have the same type of connections.
A USB controller does not have the need to be physically connected to the UMC204HD nor should it be, as it is used to communicate with software within your computer, not to the interface. A controller can play virtual instruments that reside in the computer or be used to control functions or parameters within a DAW recording software. You'll use another USB port on the computer to connect the controller.
There are instances where you might have a hardware sound module fitted with 5 pin DIN connectors that you wish to play from a controller. The USB connected controller/keyboard would be 'bridged' through software in the computer to send the MIDI information to the UMC204HD and out its 5 pin DIN MIDI ports.
Whatever you want to control within the computer will need to be told what MIDI device will be used as a controller in an Options/Setup selection in the software.
In summary, connect the UMC204HD to one USB port and the controller to another USB port.

Hi Mark,
thanks for your reply.
Perfect! I understand now better how it works. So I can in case choose within all the products available... great!
thank you again! ciao!
Riccardo
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors