Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Mixing Station Tips, Tricks and Tutorials (X-Air)

The purpose of this thread is to compile all of the tips, tricks and tutorials that we all have discovered for the Mixing Station (and Pro) app for the X-Air/M-Air consoles. Please feel free to contribute your favorite discoveries.

Since the X32/M32 version of Mixing Station is very similar, other tips, tricks and tutorials can also be found here
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Paul_Vannatto Volunteer Moderator 2018-08-22

2018-08-22

Mixing Station Tips, Tricks and Tutorials (X-Air)

The purpose of this thread is to compile all of the tips, tricks and tutorials that we all have discovered for the Mixing Station (and Pro) app for the X-Air/M-Air consoles. Please feel free to contribute your favorite discoveries.

Since the X32/M32 version of Mixing Station is very similar, other tips, tricks and tutorials can also be found here

• 0 Kudos
  • 13 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Mixing Station Tips, Tricks and Tutorials (X-Air)

I don't know of any tricks beyond exploring, discovery, breaking things, and then fixing them. But one thing I'd like to know and haven't found is:

Where are the mute groups???
Volunteer Moderator

Aaron Duerksen;151415 wrote:
Where are the mute groups???

Double tap the screen with two fingers and the mute group screen will popup. Pressing and holding any mutegroup button will allow you to see (and change) the assignment to that mutegroup.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Vannatto;151417 wrote:
Double tap the screen with two fingers and the mute group screen will popup. Pressing and holding any mutegroup button will allow you to see (and change) the assignment to that mutegroup.

Aha! I never would have thought of that. Thank you!

And thus we have our first tip/trick. Smiley Happy
Super Contributor - Level 2

Stacking Buttons

I've copied this post from a different thread to help get the tips in one place.

When creating custom layouts in Mixing Station Xair Pro, you can stack two buttons to save space.

Create a button with a single-press touch-mode and some appropriate action. Create a second button with a long-press touch-mode and a different action and place it on top of the first. Send the second button to the background. Now a short press activates the first action and a long press activates the second.

I use this on four buttons for the FX slots. A short press opens the SoF for that slot while a long press opens the FX parameter view.

You can expose the hidden button for editing by sending the top one to the background.
Contributor - Level 2

Don't know if this is really a tip or trick, but here's my Mixing Station layout.

I have 2 sets of buttons across the top. One for selecting input layers, another for Sends on Faders.

The master fader follows Sends on Faders, so when you select Aux 2 for example that will display the Aux 2 master bus fader. The "mains" label also updates to show what SoF layer you're on.

The "mains" label has a button behind it so tapping that opens a layer with all the aux bus masters and LR. The "effects" label is a button that opens a layer with fx sends/returns.

The fx knobs are all "channel master" controls so they also follow the Sends on Fader selections.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Custom Buttons for Loading Snapshots

This is not, perhaps, a common scenario but it may help someone.

I have a requirement to switch an external processor into one or more channels on the fly. I mix with MSXP using custom layouts and want buttons to control the switching. The processor is driven from an Aux output via a Bus and returns to a spare channel. The return channel is initially muted and has a Post Fader send to an FX Bus. Switching the processor into a channel requires the following actions:

Raise the channel's Post Fader Send to the output Bus.
Lower the channel's Post Fader send to an FX Bus.
De-assign the channel from the LR mix.
Un-mute the return channel.

Switching it out is the opposite except that the return channel is left un-muted.

MSXP does not support custom actions for send levels so I use Snapshots with the scope limited to the target and return channels for Mute, output Bus and FX Bus sends. Mute is necessary for the LR mix assign/de-assign to work. There is a pair of On and Off snapshots for each channel where I may want to use the external processor. They may be used independently or together and they do not affect other mix settings - except that both snapshots will un-mute the target and return channels which is not usually a problem.

Now to the MSXP buttons: When a button has a single action to load a snapshot, the button will be lit as long as that snapshot is running. It will go off when a different snapshot is loaded. This makes it difficult to keep track of which channels are using the external processor. It is also not possible to have an action to load a different snapshot when the button is toggled so separate On and Off buttons are necessary. I didn't have a lot of screen space available so I did it like this:

I created a pair of 2x2 buttons positioned side by side. Each button has a long-press action to load a snapshot. The right one loads the On snapshot and left loads the Off one. I placed a normal 4x2 button on top of them (foreground). This button has Touch mode = None but an Inverted action for the target channel's Assignment to LR. Thus it lights when the channel is not assigned to the LR mix - i.e. it is using the external processor.

In use, a long-press on the right of a button switches the target channel through the external processor and the button is lit. A long-press on the left reverts the channel to normal and the button is unlit. The label on the large button indicates the target channel with a reminder of the unusual On/Off behavior.

Adding Mute Enable and Fine buttons to a custom layout.

When creating custom layouts, users often have individual buttons to open the Sends-on-Fader (SoF) views for monitor Buses and FX Sends. They don't therefore want those buttons in the SoF List UI element but they may want the Mute Enable and Fine buttons.

If you turn off Setup -> App -> MIXER -> Show SoF and Setup -> App -> MIXER -> Show SoF Mix Select then the SoF List UI item will contain only the Fine and Mute Enable buttons. The container will still be the size of four buttons but you can overlay the empty spaces with other buttons.

Double Indicating Buttons

This is a refinement to stacking buttons (post #5). When you stack buttons, you can normally only see the status of the upper (foreground) one. If you set the Margin of the lower button to 0 and that of the upper button to 2 and have them different colors, you can see the status of the lower button as a rim around the upper one.

One application: I have a custom layout for each type of gig where I use my XRs. Each layout has a main layer with commonly used controls and two or three optional layers for infrequent adjustments. The name of the main layer reflects the type of gig. The layouts have a single-press button to open each layer. The name on the main layer button shows which layout is loaded. The button for the main layer overlays a long-press button that loads the initial Snapshot for the type of gig. The upper buttons are blue and the lower one is green.

When I open the layout, I can see at a glance whether the correct Snapshot is loaded by the green rim around the blue main layer button. If not, a long-press on the button loads it and lights the rim.

Optional Meter Bridge

Since MSXP version 1.0.0, it has been possible to add a separate meter bridge UI element to custom layouts. The meter bridge can be very useful but it does cramp the fader area on small tablets. One solution is to make it a switchable option.

Duplicate your current Mixer layout by a long-press on its entry on the Edit Layouts page. Edit the copy to shrink the fader area and add the meter bridge element. You can change the default name by opening the layout settings (gear wheel icon) but don't select Override mixer layout.

Edit the normal Mixer layout and add a button. Set the button action to Open layout and select the new layout as target. I use a long-press button behind an existing single-press one. Save the layouts by clicking on the folder icon on Edit Layouts.

Activating the button on the normal layout will switch to the one with the meter bridge. Hitting the back button will return to the normal layout. I duplicate the meter bridge button on the optional layout but set the action as Invert so it switches back to the normal one. The result is a button that toggles the meters on or off.