Contributor - Level 1

Mobile phones interfere with connecting

When we have an audience of several hundred mobile phone toting humans, the XR16 and XR18 run into connecting problems. The only cure we have found so far is to get the audience to turn off their mobile phones. Initially we used open wifi, then used a passphrase, then changed channels (difficult to do when your mixer is being troublesome!). No help. Had not updated to 1.17 firmware until after this morning's gig, so don't know if that helps.
(I posted this on a facebook, but can't find that site again!)
Is there a way to set the access point invisible, so everyone's phones do not try to connect to it?
ChesterWilson Contributor - Level 1 2018-04-25

2018-04-25

Mobile phones interfere with connecting

When we have an audience of several hundred mobile phone toting humans, the XR16 and XR18 run into connecting problems. The only cure we have found so far is to get the audience to turn off their mobile phones. Initially we used open wifi, then used a passphrase, then changed channels (difficult to do when your mixer is being troublesome!). No help. Had not updated to 1.17 firmware until after this morning's gig, so don't know if that helps.
(I posted this on a facebook, but can't find that site again!)
Is there a way to set the access point invisible, so everyone's phones do not try to connect to it?

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Mobile phones interfere with connecting

Hi Chester,

Welcome to the forum. It has been very well documented here on the forum to not rely on the built-in wireless router in these X-Air consoles for live performances. Always use a dual band external router.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

...with AC and MIMO support. This will help improve your wifi significantly.

Paul Vannatto;144651 wrote:
Always use a dual band external router.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, Paul & Robert. How can wé add that type of router facility to the x-air wishlist please? That wa§ the main reason for búying the x-airs!
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

My wifi router has 6 antennas and is almost as big as the xair mixer. It also costed me around €250 and that was when it was on sale.

Anything containing a radio must be certified by the FCC and their equivalents in every part of the world and this licensing costs quite a lot of money.

This is why almost no mixer manufacturer uses builtin wifi but rather relies upon external wifi dongles or one of the few existing preapproved wifi modules (essentially a wifi dongle inside the mixer).

All this would give us a very bulky product that easily would cost the end user $2.000 or more so it is not likely that we ever will see an all-in-one xair mixer.

Chester Wilson;144693 wrote:
Thanks, Paul & Robert. How can wé add that type of router facility to the x-air wishlist please? That wa§ the main reason for búying the x-airs!
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Its a nice feature to have the built in router for when you are a garage band but trust me you want an external router for so many reasons. For one thing the antenna(s) on the built in will almost always be buried with cables. Often the mixer is on the floor which is also not ideal.
Companies like D Link and Linksys etc do nothing but build high quality routers. I wouldn't buy a mixer designed by them so why would I trust my gigs on a router built by Behringer?

Wifi will only get better. Right now .ac is the latest and greatest. Next year they will probably come out with something better. When they do I just spend another $75 for a new router. A router that I can place high away from mic cables etc so I get a faster more reliable connection than I ever can with a built in router.

Since the external routers often have at least 4 ports I can not only connect with wifi but I can also connect a laptop via cat6 cable and have both a wireless and a wired connection at the same time. Something you can't do with the built in router.

Not only get a dual band .ac router but make sure your devices you are using to control the mixer are .ac as well. Many of the tablets and older laptops are .n wifi even if they are dual band. Use the 5ghz spectrum on the dual band because it is less crowded.