Most effecient use of Local-in vs. Card-in, and only exporting/bouncing busses?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks in advance for the help!

Two questions:

1) I've got my X32 Compact hooked up to my Mac Pro via USB, have the routing set to Local-in 1-16, then Card-in 17-32, so I can use the first 16 channels for instrument/vocal mics, etc. This means that I have to manually set all of my tracks to output 17-18, and the X32 then pumps it out to my monitors.

Is this the most efficient way to receive audio from the DAW and hear it through my monitors, without sacrificing the 16 inputs on the back? (Having the routing set to Card-in 1-32). It seems like it's a little too complicated, but I'm new to the X32.

2) Everything seems to work well, but when I export/bounce a project, the only thing that gets exported is the busses I've made inside of Logic/Pro Tools. I've never had this issue until working with the X32, but I haven't ruled out that it's on my DAWs end. Any thoughts or experience with the same?

Thanks again!

Don
DonHaymon Contributor - Level 2 2017-09-10

2017-09-10

Thanks in advance for the help!

Two questions:

1) I've got my X32 Compact hooked up to my Mac Pro via USB, have the routing set to Local-in 1-16, then Card-in 17-32, so I can use the first 16 channels for instrument/vocal mics, etc. This means that I have to manually set all of my tracks to output 17-18, and the X32 then pumps it out to my monitors.

Is this the most efficient way to receive audio from the DAW and hear it through my monitors, without sacrificing the 16 inputs on the back? (Having the routing set to Card-in 1-32). It seems like it's a little too complicated, but I'm new to the X32.

2) Everything seems to work well, but when I export/bounce a project, the only thing that gets exported is the busses I've made inside of Logic/Pro Tools. I've never had this issue until working with the X32, but I haven't ruled out that it's on my DAWs end. Any thoughts or experience with the same?

Thanks again!

Don

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Most effecient use of Local-in vs. Card-in, and only exporting/bouncing busses?

There is no reason why you can't select USB Card Returns 1-16 as Inputs to Channels 17-32 on the X32. Then you don't have to reset all the track output routing of your DAW, if I understand your setup correctly.
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Most effecient use of Local-in vs. Card-in, and only exporting/bouncing busses?

There is a workflow thing to consider.

If I mix the recorded audio on the x32 then returning to multiple channels make sense. However most of the time I find only having a 2ch back from the daw is the best option most of the times.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!