RichardGibson Contributor - Level 2 04-08-2017

04-08-2017

Multitrack SD Card recording expansion board for X32

This thread is to be exclusively about the promised X32 expansion board for 32 track recording to SD Card, as announced by Uli Behringer on 27 Dec 2016.

I would remind all posters to be very careful not to inadvertently break any forum rules in what they write - keep it on topic and polite - because a previous thread on this topic has just been closed by a forum moderator who didn't like what he read there.

If we break no rules, this thread will be allowed to stay open.

The SD recording card expansion board is obviously a hot topic, as that previous thread was only one week old and already attracted 1,226 views by interested X32 owners and /or potential customers here.

If anybody had any technical specs, product information, price, availability or other news about this expansion board, please share it here.

Thank you very much, folks.
Have a nice day.
Smiley Very Happy

• 0 Kudos
  • 359 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Multitrack SD Card recording expansion board for X32

Dawid Klein;133777 wrote:
But still X-live is a Behringer product with Behringer's quality and 3years warranty period nor KlarkTeknik and 10 years warranty. So?

Can anyone answer, please?Smiley Happy
Contributor - Level 3

So?

Not really quite sure what question you are asking here I'm afraid.
Contributor - Level 2

I don’t think anyone has them in stock yet, but I’ve already ordered one. At $199 it’s hard to resist. I remember in the 1960s putting myself deeply in debt for a 4 track. Now I just ordered a 32 track digital recorder for 200 bucks. What a world.
P.W. Fenton Hudson, Florida
Contributor - Level 2

Dawid Klein;133878 wrote:
But still X-Live is a Behringer product with Behringer's quality and 3 years warranty period, not Midas / Klark Teknik with 10 years warranty. So...?

Can anyone answer, please? Smiley Happy

Yes, I think I can answer this...

No, I'm afraid there isn't an expensive, overpriced Midas "M-Live" version of the Behringer X-Live card, since all Behringer X32 expansion boards are 100% compatible with all Midas M32 series. M32 and X32 use nearly all the same internal main boards, same Cyrus Logic 192kHz A/D and D/A converter boards, same DSP chips, same firmware, etc.

If you are absolutely determined to waste your money buying something unnecessarily expensive, for the peace of mind that larger pricetag brings you - then just buy two Behringer X-Live cards, but only install one of them, and keep the other as a spare!
Also get a magic marker pen and write "M I D A S" on the back of it in big letters!!
That way, you'll feel smug whenever someone comes into your studio, and feel happy you've spent double the money for the exact same functionality (as you generally do with Midas equivalents) and if it ever actually does break after 3 years (fairly unlikely...) you will have your other spare board already to install in a mere instant without any precious studio downtime, for total peace of mind.

You're welcome. Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Piano Man

Hi Richard,

I just saw you comment and please allow me to correct your statement.

The input and output boards in the M Series are quite different from the BEHRINGER X Series consoles.
In fact the MIC preamp in the M Series is the exact same version used in the high-end MIDAS PRO Series consoles.
The output boards are equally same as the PRO Series with a much higher spec'd output stage and different DA converters resulting in more than 10 dB better signal to noise ratio. This has been verified by the German magazine Production Partner and please feel free to open to check fro yourself.

Many components used in the MIDAS consoles are of higher quality such as a motor faders that will last up to 1 million life cycles.

Hope this helps.

Uli

Richard Gibson;133896 wrote:
Yes, I think I can answer this...

No, I'm afraid there isn't an expensive, overpriced Midas "M-Live" version of the Behringer X-Live card, since all Behringer X32 expansion boards are 100% compatible with all Midas M32 series. M32 and X32 use nearly all the same internal main boards, same Cyrus Logic 192kHz A/D and D/A converter boards, same DSP chips, same firmware, etc.

If you are absolutely determined to waste your money buying something unnecessarily expensive, for the peace of mind that larger pricetag brings you - then just buy two Behringer X-Live cards, but only install one of them, and keep the other as a spare!
Also get a magic marker pen and write "M I D A S" on the back of it in big letters!!
That way, you'll feel smug whenever someone comes into your studio, and feel happy you've spent double the money for the exact same functionality (as you generally do with Midas equivalents) and if it ever actually does break after 3 years (fairly unlikely...) you will have your other spare board already to install in a mere instant without any precious studio downtime, for total peace of mind.

You're welcome. Smiley Very Happy
Uli Behringer Music Tribe Leader
Contributor - Level 2

But Uli the expansion cards are no different as far as I know. The preamps yes. Much better. Faders yes. But the expansion cards? I don't think so. That's what was being referred to. I'm pretty sure that Klark Teknik DN32-MADI card is the same exact thing as the x32 Madi card. Only costs more money. And this goes for the other cards as well.

I must say that I cannot wait to get the X-live card. Thank you for developing it. So excited! In my opinion it is one thing that really takes an already amazing board and makes it better. Fwiw I am an M32 and Pro2 user. I have an M32, M32r, and a core. I am getting 1 card that will live in either M32. and one in the core.
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Uli,
Thanks for replying, it's always good to hear directly from you of course, and to see you read these forums regularly!!
Hopefully it was clear to everyone my post above was joking with very heavy sarcasm - the guy was practically asking to pay MORE money for something in the future he can already buy now for less. Strikes me as funny.

Yes, I've read the spec-sheets and seen some teardown videos of the X32 boards and I do know quite a lot of the internals are interchangeable between X32 and M32. Obviously we all know the mic preamps and faders specifically are different. I did say "nearly all the same" because I know some things are obviously different.

I own an X32 Compact, which I bought because it's the smallest model with proper AES/EBU output, and there's no Midas equivalent to this model size. The similar sized Midas M32R is really just the paper equivalent of the X32 Producer and doesn't have AES/EBU and has the smaller LCD screen.
If there was a Midas equivalent to my X32 Compact, I doubt I'd pay 75% more for it just for better preamps, because I use external outboard mic pres and outboard A/D to record with anyway - which cost a lot more than the X32 mixer. Most of my mixing is digital domain only via ADAT inputs. Wish it had AES/EBU inputs really.

I doubt I'll push any fader a million times either, and because analogue audio doesn't go through it - just digital control -it won't degrade sonic quality at all - so I'd rather save money and buy the X32 series. My old Yamaha 03D is over twenty years old and still works and I've never had to replace a fader, although its LCD did need a repair once. I think my X32 faders will probably last me for years too. It's surely the I/O hardware limitations and features that I'll likely outgrow first, long before mechanical failure. The product life cycle of a digital mixer these days sadly tends to be a lot shorter than the mechanical life cycle of a decent fader.

If I was going to double my budget, I'd rather put more money into DSP power for things like hardware convolution reverb, running custom FIR filters, dynamic EQ, generally smother, better EQ and crossovers with more bands, wider control ranges, also more flexible DSP with parallel processing routing, more effects DSP blocks, and stuff like that... It's all DSP power and unlimited user control I want... the mechanical hardware isn't the weakest link in the chain.
Contributor - Level 2

Possible different quality and longer warranty option were reasons why I wrote my question. Nobody wants to pay more for the same hardware with only a different logo.
Contributor - Level 1

Very excited!

The price is OUTSTANDING! Pre-ordered one fo my M32 today. One question, does anyone know the Behringer recommended spec for the SD cards? The assumption has been 32gb, class 10, U3, which should be fine, but I can't find in any of the available documentation a minimum spec.
Contributor - Level 2

Dawid Klein;133919 wrote:
Possible different quality and longer warranty option were reasons why I wrote my question. Nobody wants to pay more for the same hardware with only a different logo.

When it comes to the Behringer branded vs Klark Teknik cards they are the same. Yet the Klark Teknik cards cost more money. I'm not just saying that for no reason. Look up the prices.