Recording

Need Some Guidance - Recording old vinyl w/PP400 & UCA202

Contributor - Level 2

I have a AT-PL120 turntable which I've had for years. I used to record into a PC from the turntable, routing through my old stereo for a preamp. That steroe is long gone, the turntable had been set aside for several years, so I finally have time and space to finish my old record collection project. I bought the Behringer PP400 preamp and it works fine, but it was a real stretch to get the sound into my iMac. I had to route it through my cassette digitizer in order to have USB output. That was clumsy, so I went back and looked some more. I saw people suggesting the Behringer UFC202, but I couldn't find that. I did find a UCA202 which is what I bought.  

Now, if I run it through my sound system, it sounds great, clean and sharp. But connecting the USB to either the iMac or a PC (Win 8.1) doesn't do anything except power the sound. I am not seeing anything. I was unable to set up Audacity on the old PC which is why I'm using it on the iMac. I'd prefer to set it up on the PC so I can keep working on the iMac.  At any rate, neither computer acknowledges the sound.  Clearly I'm doing something silly. I am hoping someone with similar tasks can give me an idea of where to begin looking. Do I need to forget about listening through my stereo speakers? I can't wear headphones all day, too many other things to deal with. I could attach the turntable > PP400 > UCA202 and just plug in the USB I suppose but I won't know what's recording. I'm sure there's a way to do this without full time monitoring so I can record and then deal with results, but that sounds like more time consuming work than I have time for.

I should mention that I live in a remote rural area, my 'only' source for supplies is mail order. I'm happy with the Behringer devices, but I'm missing something.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need Some Guidance - Recording old vinyl w/PP400 & UCA202

Contributor - Level 2

That's fine that you have the UCA and PP400. The other just might have been more convenient if you were starting from scratch. However you are still left with the problem that you are not seeing the USB audio input from the UCA on your PC. Both Micrsoft and Apple have been abit naughty with their recent updates in as much as they have increased Security and Privacy settings. Unfortunately this has lead to some audio devices not being allowed to input their audio into installed software since that might be seen as spying. Smiley Sad So you may need to go to Windows Privacy settings and enable your USB audio interface to input audio. So try going to Windows Settings/Privacy and go down to App Permissions/Microphone and make sure that 'Allow access to microphone' and 'Allow apps to access microphone' are enabled.

There is also a similar setting within the Mac Mojave that can also prevent audio getting through.

4 REPLIES 4

Contributor - Level 2

I am not sure why you wouldn't be getting the audio to record in your computers. However you would really ahve been better off buying the http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/UFO202/p/P0A12 since it has a built in phono preamp as well as being a USB audio interface. Once it is working with your PC you should also be able to hear what you are recording by plugging the output of the USB interface into your stereo speakers.

Contributor - Level 2
Thank you RichardYClark, I do hear the music, clean and clear, but I can't see any activity in either Windows or iMac with the USB output plugged in to either machine. The PC has some problem with the Audacity install. I have spent days trying to get the missing piece installed. Every update I download from MS that is supposed to supply the missing piece claims to be already installed. Which is why I'm trying to get the data into the iMac instead.

I have no problem with Audacity on the iMac, it just did not "see" anything with the USB plugged in. There was no file to record. When I ran the pre-amp PP400 signal through my cassette digitizer and plugged that USB in (before I ordered the UCA202) I could see the device and had no problem saving the output file. I just had a very clumsy setup running the preamp output through the cassette device to have USB output. The sound with the UCA202 is much cleaner and sharper than I was hearing with that old setup.

While I do appreciate your suggestion, I wanted to buy the UFO202 device instead, but it was only available via certain carriers. I do not have a street address so I bought the UCA202 which I was able to order. I can order the UFO202 and arrange for a relative to mail it to me, takes another month or so. Just mentioning this because there is a reason why I have the equipment I have. When you decide to live in the middle of nowhere, some things are hard to get.

Contributor - Level 2

That's fine that you have the UCA and PP400. The other just might have been more convenient if you were starting from scratch. However you are still left with the problem that you are not seeing the USB audio input from the UCA on your PC. Both Micrsoft and Apple have been abit naughty with their recent updates in as much as they have increased Security and Privacy settings. Unfortunately this has lead to some audio devices not being allowed to input their audio into installed software since that might be seen as spying. Smiley Sad So you may need to go to Windows Privacy settings and enable your USB audio interface to input audio. So try going to Windows Settings/Privacy and go down to App Permissions/Microphone and make sure that 'Allow access to microphone' and 'Allow apps to access microphone' are enabled.

There is also a similar setting within the Mac Mojave that can also prevent audio getting through.

Highlighted

Contributor - Level 2
Thank you for that suggestion Richard, much appreciated. I'm not on Mojave, it is on a different iMac here and I don't like it (old eyes) - but it did get me to take a look at the Settings and that's where I found it. I needed to add the Codec to settings for Audacity to do anything. Senior moment I guess. I do appreciate your taking the time to help, I felt lost yesterday. I'd thought of setting up Audacity to run on my MBP laptop but it has only 8GB RAM. This is going to take a very long time.

I have set it up now to record to an external drive and I'll just have to edit those files as I find time. BTW, I looked again yesterday and now I see that I can try again to order the UFO202, it is now offered on Amazon Prime. When I first looked, it was 3rd party sellers only.

I can't use the PC because Audacity won't load on it I get an error. I had used the Windows Media Player to convert my CDs to MP3 files, but as line in, it wouldn't do anything. I have tried everything and after a week I gave up on getting Audacity to work on Windows 8.1. I bought that computer to run one software program I needed for another kind of work. For this, it isn't going to work. Smiley Sad
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors