Contributor - Level 2

Need help: connect Xair to DAW, and USB thumbdrive

I've connected a DAW computer to the Xair, with an ethernet cable.  I can control the Xair microphones with the Xair software mixer on the DAW.  How do I get Xair to recognize the 16 audio drivers on a 16 channel Onyx mixer and Sonar?   The Xair doesn't show up anywhere to connect to the DAW sound drivers.

Can the Xair record multiple tracks directly to it's thumbdrive?  Or is it limited to two? 

I put the thumb drive in the Xair.  It turns red for a moment, then goes out.  Why is that?  The thumbdrive is properly formatted with FAT.  I've recorded two tracks before, but now it won't recognize the thumb drive.  What will fix this?

What determines the USB interface under Audio midi setup being greyed out or on?  The option is 18 track, or 2 track.    What is the 18 track option for, only USB or only ethernet use?  Both 2 channel and 18 channel are greyed out.  How do I get these to turn on?   (On the Daw I use, and a DAW laptop, 18 track is greyed out.  (Curiously, on another desktop computer, the 18 track can be selected.  What needs to be selected elsewhere to access the 18 channel option in setup/audio midi/USB interface?)

Using updated win 7.

thanks for help

wa

wadrum Contributor - Level 2 2019-07-28

2019-07-28

Need help: connect Xair to DAW, and USB thumbdrive

I've connected a DAW computer to the Xair, with an ethernet cable.  I can control the Xair microphones with the Xair software mixer on the DAW.  How do I get Xair to recognize the 16 audio drivers on a 16 channel Onyx mixer and Sonar?   The Xair doesn't show up anywhere to connect to the DAW sound drivers.

Can the Xair record multiple tracks directly to it's thumbdrive?  Or is it limited to two? 

I put the thumb drive in the Xair.  It turns red for a moment, then goes out.  Why is that?  The thumbdrive is properly formatted with FAT.  I've recorded two tracks before, but now it won't recognize the thumb drive.  What will fix this?

What determines the USB interface under Audio midi setup being greyed out or on?  The option is 18 track, or 2 track.    What is the 18 track option for, only USB or only ethernet use?  Both 2 channel and 18 channel are greyed out.  How do I get these to turn on?   (On the Daw I use, and a DAW laptop, 18 track is greyed out.  (Curiously, on another desktop computer, the 18 track can be selected.  What needs to be selected elsewhere to access the 18 channel option in setup/audio midi/USB interface?)

Using updated win 7.

thanks for help

wa

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Need help: connect Xair to DAW, and USB thumbdrive

@wadrum 

Hi Warren, you didn't tell us which model of XAir mixer you are using. If it is an XR12 or XR16, it can only record two channels to a USB drive. The drive needs to be formatted as FAT32.

The option for 18 channel recording over USB is only available on X18 or XR18 mixers. On Windows PCs, it is also necessary to install the ASIO driver for the X/XR18 to be recognized as a multichannel device.

Volunteer Moderator

Hi Warren @wadrum,

You keep mentioning that you have an X-Air. But you don't say which one - which makes a huge difference in how we answer your questions.

The XR12 and XR16 has a USB port that can record stereo (2 channel to a USB stick). The XR18 and X18 has a USB port that would be connected to a computer with a DAW and can transfer 18x18 (bidirectional) between the console and DAW. The ethernet port is for control of the console using OSC protocol. No audio is passed via ethernet, just control.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

I have an x-16. 

I need to get an X-18.  

thanks!

Contributor - Level 2

Does that mean the X18 can record multitrack to a thumbdrive?

Will I have a problem connecting the X18 to the Mackie Onyx/DAW computer?

thanks again

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@wadrum wrote:

Does that mean the X18 can record multitrack to a thumbdrive?

No, the X18 and XR18 USB interface is to connect directly to a computer. Thumdrives are a totally different USB interface.

Will I have a problem connecting the X18 to the Mackie Onyx/DAW computer?

You don't need the Onyx interface. Just connect the X18 (or XR18) directly to the computer USB.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!