Contributor - Level 2

Network/Remote Audio?

Since the X-Air app doesn't stream audio...at all...I got an IOGear GUWIP204 (networked USB server) to hopefully allow me to use the 18/18 USB port on the same WiFi that I use for control.

After discovering that I can't do this on the built-in hotspot (no real network, only device-to-XR18 connections allowed), I added an external router and *almost* got everything talking. I can control the XR18 just fine, and the IOGear's app can connect to a flash drive just fine, but when I connect to the XR18 via the IOGear, Windows 7 always bluescreens. A direct USB connection works like it's supposed to, but I can't do that while running FOH.

Anyone have experience there? Specifically remote audio on an XR__?
AaronDuerksen Contributor - Level 2 2016-01-19

2016-01-19

Network/Remote Audio?

Since the X-Air app doesn't stream audio...at all...I got an IOGear GUWIP204 (networked USB server) to hopefully allow me to use the 18/18 USB port on the same WiFi that I use for control.

After discovering that I can't do this on the built-in hotspot (no real network, only device-to-XR18 connections allowed), I added an external router and *almost* got everything talking. I can control the XR18 just fine, and the IOGear's app can connect to a flash drive just fine, but when I connect to the XR18 via the IOGear, Windows 7 always bluescreens. A direct USB connection works like it's supposed to, but I can't do that while running FOH.

Anyone have experience there? Specifically remote audio on an XR__?

• 0 Kudos
  • 56 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Network/Remote Audio?

Not sure this is what you are trying to do but, a USB connection to a PC can record all 18 channels and play them back. I sometimes use 17/18 on playback from a DJ software application. The only problem is both the DAW to record and DJ app can't use the same USB port at the same time. So at half time I shut down the DAW and open the DJ app.

When I am at a smaller show I will use an Airport Express router that has an 3.5mm audio jack on it and I patch it unto 17/18 direct at the XR18 and play tracks from the iPad.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

There was a guy on the Behringer FB page talking about using a Raspberry Pi and a custom OS build called RuneAudio as a networked media player that he would control from the same tablet he used to mix from. Might want to check that out?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Glenn Adams;67532 wrote:
Not sure this is what you are trying to do but, a USB connection to a PC can record all 18 channels and play them back. I sometimes use 17/18 on playback from a DJ software application. The only problem is both the DAW to record and DJ app can't use the same USB port at the same time. So at half time I shut down the DAW and open the DJ app.

When I am at a smaller show I will use an Airport Express router that has an 3.5mm audio jack on it and I patch it unto 17/18 direct at the XR18 and play tracks from the iPad.

We're a live band with an occasional backing track, so I think we'll be okay there, as long as the WiFi holds out and the USB server doesn't crash. I'll just play the backing track(s) from the DAW. Definitely some testing required before going live.

Lee Mychajluk;67534 wrote:
There was a guy on the Behringer FB page talking about using a Raspberry Pi and a custom OS build called RuneAudio as a networked media player that he would control from the same tablet he used to mix from. Might want to check that out?

Hmm. Now there's an idea! May or may not be exactly like that, but it looks like a promising lead to research. Thanks!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

If you just want something that can playback and record from the USB socket and network control, you can try my Banana Tracker. It's a 32 track recorder and USB MP3/WAV player that can be controlled by an Android tablet. But it can't stream audio from your tablet. It just can stream to the tablet for PFL/solo listening.
It seems to work reliably now, but nobody tested it with a XR18 till now.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Does the X air 18 not have the stereo wav player option that us X air 12 users have?

This would be great for interval music if the issues like bigger buttons clear text play all play one were addressed.

Kev
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I may have misunderstood your original post. You're trying to play audio through the USB port to the X Air, while controlling it remotely via Wifi?

If that's the case, I'm not sure that's going to be possible unless you're remote-controlling a PC / Mac that is connected to the X Air (there are probably tons of remote control software for this purpose). This is because of the drivers required for the device to see the X Air's USB channels. The IO Gear unit you posted does not make a USB Port available via ethernet directly - it makes certain types of devices available, and I don't think an Audio Device is one of them. You still need something that can interface w/ the X Air and recognize it as a USB audio device (like a PC / Mac). I'm not really sure how the 'USB Speaker' function of that IOGear thing works, and there's no mention of it in the manual, so I could be wrong...

The RuneAudio option I mentioned (http://www.runeaudio.com/about/) would still be an analog connection for the audio. I've been looking a bit more into this this morning out of curiosity. For ~$40 for a Pi 2, plus an SD card, it seems like a simple solution, but you would need to use the analog inputs on the X Air via the 3.5mm out on the Pi. You would get the network remote functionality you're looking for, though....
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

No Kev. The stereo record/playback is sacrificed for the full 18in/out USB. A major plus, but a PITA if all you want to do is play some interval or pre/post show music.

On any gigs where I can get away with the XR12 I use it because of the USB player. If I have a bigger gig then I use the 18 but take the 12 too to use as a sub-mixer if required and I can still use the player Smiley Happy

For recording I obviously use the 18.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Dave

It's great the playback off the stick, I bought a tiny usb 3 stick, it's the size of a dongle for a wirelss mouse,

Nice that on outside gigs when security is non existent, I can take my pad to the bar and so on and do the interval music from my seat in the audience.

I just wish I could get the songs to keep playing, this only happens when a laptop is connected I have found, the play every track option does not seem to save in the memory of the X,

Cheers

Kev
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Kev, if you find out the osc message for that command you may be able to send it somehow every time you boot up. it could be as simple as opening an app and clicking a button. I can't help as I only have a xr18 so can't test it out.
    Go to page