AaronDuerksen Contributor - Level 2 2016-01-19

2016-01-19

Network/Remote Audio?

Since the X-Air app doesn't stream audio...at all...I got an IOGear GUWIP204 (networked USB server) to hopefully allow me to use the 18/18 USB port on the same WiFi that I use for control.

After discovering that I can't do this on the built-in hotspot (no real network, only device-to-XR18 connections allowed), I added an external router and *almost* got everything talking. I can control the XR18 just fine, and the IOGear's app can connect to a flash drive just fine, but when I connect to the XR18 via the IOGear, Windows 7 always bluescreens. A direct USB connection works like it's supposed to, but I can't do that while running FOH.

Anyone have experience there? Specifically remote audio on an XR__?

• 0 Kudos
  • 56 Replies
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Network/Remote Audio?

Phil Smith;68160 wrote:
Unfortunately as far as I am aware chromecast needs an internet connection to work not just WiFi. Robert mentioned he may know of a workaround but didn't elaborate. It's a no go for me if it requires an internet connection.

I only found some workarounds using google. Since I'm always connected to internet (we have great data plans from our mobile carriers) I didn't look into the details.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I can see how an internet connection may not always be possible.

What about a media server app like Kodi (formerly XBMC)? You can install it on a device (PC/Mac/Linux/Android/Pi/etc....) that is connected physically to the X Air, then remote control it from your tablet w/ an app? I'm fairly certain it doesn't need an internet connection for normal operation.

http://kodi.tv/about/

Kodi Server - http://kodi.tv/download/

Official Android Remote - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xbmc.kore
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Robert Lofgren;68179 wrote:
I only found some workarounds using google. Since I'm always connected to internet (we have great data plans from our mobile carriers) I didn't look into the details.

Did any of the workarounds you found get chromecast working without an internet connection? Just curious.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi guys

I have just installed little Osc

Will see if I can figure it out., not really getting anywhere right now, I can't figure out how to paste the command in to dialogue box, the keyboard will not appear?

Also Any ideas what port I should send this command out on

/-prefs/playnext~~~~,i~~1

And do I have to put the X airs IP address in the box, or the routers address

Thanks.

Kev
Contributor - Level 2

Wow, this really took off! (and I'm still not getting e-mail notifications despite subscribing)

FedEx tracking says that I should have all the parts I need to try the RPi solution today. I'm still not sure if I'll end up with the stock Raspbian or Rune or something else, or whether the playback/recording will be on the FOH laptop via remote USB or on the Pi with remote control, but I'm pretty sure I can make it work somehow.

I'm leaning towards the Pi doing all the audio work if it can, just in case the network drops out.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Aaron Duerksen;68473 wrote:
(and I'm still not getting e-mail notifications despite subscribing)

Okay, somehow I didn't get subscribed to this one, even though I distinctly remember doing it. Let's see if it sticks this time.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Aha! When I reply, it cancels my subscription. Seems like a bug to me.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I have been using the Pi 2 with a HiFiBerry Dac+ attached to it that has RCA outs for some time now and had no issues with it. The standard 1/8 analog out will work but be careful of the power supply you use for the Pi. It needs to be a decent 2.5amp out or you may get a static/distorted sound out of it. Another other option to power it is a small powered USB hub, with that you can add a full sized portable drive like a passport if you have a very large music collection. I have a couple of 32G USB flash drives that have various music playlists on them for playback and don't need the USB hub for those.
I connect the Pi 2 to my external router along with the X-18 and my Driverack PA2. I control everything from my Lenovo Tab 2 droid tab and have a laptop as a precautionary backup.
X-32c, M-32, S-16, P-16M, X-XR18
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I plan to use the 18/18 USB interface, so analog noise from the Pi shouldn't be a problem.

Using a Pi 2, I'd love it if I could:

• - Record all 18 tracks from USB (set-and-forget)
  • - Play backing tracks and dead-air filler music to the same USB
  • - Stream a talkback from the FOH device to the same USB
  • - Stream the analog PFL back to the FOH device (because I can't see how to map it to USB and because I've tied up all 18 tracks in that direction anyway by recording them)

...all simultaneously.

Am I nuts yet? Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Aaron Duerksen;68485 wrote:
I plan to use the 18/18 USB interface, so analog noise from the Pi shouldn't be a problem.

Using a Pi 2, I'd love it if I could:

• - Record all 18 tracks from USB (set-and-forget)
  • - Play backing tracks and dead-air filler music to the same USB
  • - Stream a talkback from the FOH device to the same USB
  • - Stream the analog PFL back to the FOH device (because I can't see how to map it to USB and because I've tied up all 18 tracks in that direction anyway by recording them)

...all simultaneously.

Am I nuts yet? Smiley Happy

I'm doing all with a banana pi. Except for the talkback. But playback is only local playback from a USB stick. But with remote control from the tablet.