AaronDuerksen Contributor - Level 2 2016-01-19

2016-01-19

Network/Remote Audio?

Since the X-Air app doesn't stream audio...at all...I got an IOGear GUWIP204 (networked USB server) to hopefully allow me to use the 18/18 USB port on the same WiFi that I use for control.

After discovering that I can't do this on the built-in hotspot (no real network, only device-to-XR18 connections allowed), I added an external router and *almost* got everything talking. I can control the XR18 just fine, and the IOGear's app can connect to a flash drive just fine, but when I connect to the XR18 via the IOGear, Windows 7 always bluescreens. A direct USB connection works like it's supposed to, but I can't do that while running FOH.

Anyone have experience there? Specifically remote audio on an XR__?

• 0 Kudos
  • 56 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Network/Remote Audio?

Well, so far I have a headless Pi 2 running Raspbian with x11vnc installed for control and Rhythmbox for audio playback because I've used it forever and I like its features. And I've ordered a UPS hat and installed its software because the whole sound system is going to get yanked out of its wall socket and packed up immediately at the end of a show and the Pi still needs to shutdown gracefully.

I'm also looking at a Behringer UCA202 to be controlled by the FOH laptop via USB/IP or VirtualHere or similar USB sharing software on the Pi. That goes to the XR18's Aux in and Headphone jacks for talkback and PFL. Does anyone know of something better?

I've seen some glitches reported when using the Jack or ALSA recording utilities with 18 channels on a Pi. Can anyone comment on that?

I've also loaded a Rune image onto an SD card but haven't run it yet.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Aaron Duerksen;68983 wrote:
Does anyone know of something better?

What about that:
http://www.elacom.de/bananatracker.php
Does everything you need except for the talkback. Maybe I'll implement that in future.
But I think a cheap wireless microphone would be easier to use anyway.
There is only one problem: Nobody confirmed if it works with the XR18. But it should.
Aaron Duerksen;68983 wrote:
I've seen some glitches reported when using the Jack or ALSA recording utilities with 18 channels on a Pi. Can anyone comment on that?

I had them with a X32, and I hope they are completely away now. I have to make some longtime tests. What I found out, that there are less glitches with a smaller buffer and that it depends on the kernel.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Dave Meadowcroft;67569 wrote:
No Kev. The stereo record/playback is sacrificed for the full 18in/out USB. A major plus, but a PITA if all you want to do is play some interval or pre/post show music.

On any gigs where I can get away with the XR12 I use it because of the USB player. If I have a bigger gig then I use the 18 but take the 12 too to use as a sub-mixer if required and I can still use the player Smiley Happy

For recording I obviously use the 18.

Dave USB is setup select-able no sacrifice required 2/2 or 18 for the XR18.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

William Kueppers;69041 wrote:
Dave USB is setup select-able no sacrifice required 2/2 or 18 for the XR18.

Yes but not with a thumb drive, both 2/2 and 18/18 require a computing device (computer or tablet) attached...
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Florian Gerstenlauer;69037 wrote:

What about that:
http://www.elacom.de/bananatracker.php
Does everything you need except for the talkback. Maybe I'll implement that in future.
But I think a cheap wireless microphone would be easier to use anyway.
There is only one problem: Nobody confirmed if it works with the XR18. But it should.

Why didn't I see that before? That does look like it'll work, except of course for the talkback. I'm not too excited about the wireless mic because it's one more thing to cram into a box that's already getting crowded, but if you're already streaming one direction then I think it'd just be a matter of plugging together another set of the same software tools to go the other way.
It's a little different from my expectation in that I'd use the BananaTracker app for PFL/Solo instead of the X-Air app that I'm using for everything else. I'd really rather use the same app for everything, which probably means analog line-in from the XR's headphone out.
Does it also have a Windows 8/10 app?
And how compatible is it with CW2's PiUPS+?

Florian Gerstenlauer;69037 wrote:

I had them with a X32, and I hope they are completely away now. I have to make some longtime tests. What I found out, that there are less glitches with a smaller buffer and that it depends on the kernel.

I'd be interested to see what those tests turn up. Please keep us posted.

Whatever system we end up with for this tour, I need to finalize pretty quick so that we can practice on it. So I think I'll keep the Raspberry Pi for this one and then take a more serious look at your BananaTracker afterwards. I'd be willing to forgo the 18-track recording this time around if it turns out not to work.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Aaron Duerksen;69066 wrote:
Does it also have a Windows 8/10 app?

I think I won't write an other app because I don't have any other device. But if someone wants to write an iOS or Windows app I'll help with the protocol.
I'd be interested to see what those tests turn up. Please keep us posted.

http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?8944-Simple-Multitracking
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Florian Gerstenlauer;69070 wrote:

http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?8944-Simple-Multitracking

Thanks!

On a slightly different note, a little bit of googling suggests that RuneAudio is only a stereo player. It can play anything it has access to, whether stored locally or on the network somewhere or as a stream, but it doesn't do audio input at all and doesn't seem to use any more than 2 tracks at the output. (it might do surround, but I haven't seen evidence of it yet)

So it's useful as a universal audio player for a home stereo or even a pro gig if that's all it needs to do, but not for my needs now.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

My XR18 set

- a WIFI router
- sennheiser IEM transmitter
- mini pc running LUCI ( http://luci.eu ) for AoIP ( audio over IP )

Works great

W.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Florian Gerstenlauer;69070 wrote:

I think I won't write an other app because I don't have any other device. But if someone wants to write an iOS or Windows app I'll help with the protocol.

Does it allow local control? That would allow VNC, which would make the client's platform someone else's problem...except for the streaming audio.
But if it can also run something else for the streaming part, either a streaming service itself or a USB share, then I think I'd be in business.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Actually, it turns out that the Banana Pi Pro already a UPS built-in that uses an external single-cell Lithium battery:
http://forum.lemaker.org/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=1597&pid=57212
So I ordered one, and a battery and holder. (just solder the wires from the holder onto the BPi's SMD pads) That, plus dedicated SATA and Ethernet (not sharing a single USB OTG port through an on-board hub like the RPi), and built-in WiFi just made it too attractive, even though it only has 2 cores instead of 4 like the RPi 2.

So my plan now is to use the BPi as a WiFi hotspot so that my laptop can do Front-of-House and all the musicians' phones and tablets can run in-ear monitors, plus my laptop will also control the BPi's other functions of recording, playback, and streaming my talkback and PFL to and from the laptop.

And I've also switched the laptop to Lubuntu Linux to hopefully make the stream easier:
http://www.pogo.org.uk/~mark/trx/
Now if I can just overcome Linux's reputation of manufacturers not taking it seriously and leaving the community to figure out on its own how to conserve battery power with practically no official documentation of the hardware... 'Cause it needs to last for four 1-hour shows a day with minimal or no recharging.