AaronDuerksen Contributor - Level 2 2016-01-19

2016-01-19

Network/Remote Audio?

Since the X-Air app doesn't stream audio...at all...I got an IOGear GUWIP204 (networked USB server) to hopefully allow me to use the 18/18 USB port on the same WiFi that I use for control.

After discovering that I can't do this on the built-in hotspot (no real network, only device-to-XR18 connections allowed), I added an external router and *almost* got everything talking. I can control the XR18 just fine, and the IOGear's app can connect to a flash drive just fine, but when I connect to the XR18 via the IOGear, Windows 7 always bluescreens. A direct USB connection works like it's supposed to, but I can't do that while running FOH.

Anyone have experience there? Specifically remote audio on an XR__?

• 0 Kudos
  • 56 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Network/Remote Audio?

Phil Smith;67630 wrote:
Kev, if you find out the osc message for that command you may be able to send it somehow every time you boot up. it could be as simple as opening an app and clicking a button. I can't help as I only have a xr18 so can't test it out.

Hi Phil

Thanks mate

The option to "play all tracks " only exists when the laptop version of X air connects to the X air desk, a usb stick must be present in the port before the actual recorder page even appears. I have found in the past that when I have a laptop and pad connected, if I toggle play all tracks on the laptop it works as you would expect, however in the same session, if you launch the recorder window on the pad and select a song from your list, it will play and then sometimes, not all the time though, stop on completion, I have tried just connecting the laptop, engaging play all, and then saving the scene, but after power up and then trying it with pad only, the setting does not " stick"

I wouldn't have a clue how to capture this command, what would I need?

Cheers

Kev
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

The command is
/-prefs/playnext~~~~,i~~1
to turn on Play All Tracks (the ~ represent nulls). It's in the OSC spec document.

I leave my USB stick in permanently and the setting seems to be remembered between power cycles for me,

Edit: I use Windows and Android - maybe the iPad app is screwing with that setting somehow...
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Cheers dave

I spent a few hours on YouTube familiarizing myself with Osc, wow how clever all that stuff is,

I think it's the pad that is messing with the settings,

I wouldn't have a clue how implement that instruction but hope maybe the kind blokes at behringer save me the trouble, and makes better use of the real estate on the recorder page. Big buttons big song lists etc, this would allow me to ditch my playback app and stop having to switch apps.

Thanks for your help

Kev
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

It's fairly easy to understand with some patience Smiley Wink

I don't use apple products at all so I'm not familiar with available apps or where exactly you would start to possibly code your own.

On both Windows and Android it's fairly easy to use existing free libraries to handle OSC in your own apps, or even write it all from scratch as I have done.

On Android there are also free apps available that you can use to send OSC commands. I'm using one called AndrOSC for the 'play next' functionality - it's transmit only, but it does this tiny job. There may be something similar for iOS if you have a search.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Kev, Ive just had a look at on the ipad - (which i rarely use so Im not that familiar with it). I saw a program called LittleOSC.
Unfortunately it wont let me download it because it needs the new OS and it wont let me download the new OS because theres an error, software update failed.... I though these Apple products "just worked"??
Maybe you could try it?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks so much mate.

I think I might just buy an android pad, as I see play all has just been implemented according to a post on here.

Probably worth having a back up to the dreaded Apple too.

Cheers

Kev
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Phil

I was lucky enough to find an old android phone in the cupboard so I installed X air on it, the display for the playback of tracks via usb is small but functional, when you press play folder it works quite nice, unfortunately as soon as you engage the song list via iOS, the auto play disables,

I will have a look later when I have time to see if interaction from the pad turns the " play folder " button off.

Such a shame that a simple feature has been overlooked.

Will also checkout the iOS app you mentioned.

Cheers

Kev
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Phil Smith;67713 wrote:
.... I though these Apple products "just worked"??

Ha ha just had a few hours of head scratching trying to export contacts from iCloud, waiting and waiting for the save .vcf option to appear, cup of tea try again, wait, reboot, try again, then i realized that google chrome won't play nice with cloud.com and had to install Firefox instead to receive the file.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Was just thinking that we may be overthinking this...

Have you considered a Google Chromecast Audio as a solution?
https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chromecast/learn-speakers/

Seems like you could connect it to an Analog Input on your X Air (3.5mm to 1/4" breakout cable), then just play whatever you want from your PC or Android device over the Wifi to the Chromecast. Playing from within the Chrome browser seems easiest, but there do seem to be some workarounds to being able to play local audio as well.

Edit -

Another option may be Plex. https://plex.tv/features
Plex is a media server application that you can remote control. I'm pretty sure you can install the server on your Win7 laptop and either connect it to the XR18 or cast media to a ChromeCast, all while remote controlling it from your tablet or phone (w/o the need to maintain a connection with the tablet/phone). See here - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201206866-Cast-from-Browser-or-Desktop
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Unfortunately as far as I am aware chromecast needs an internet connection to work not just WiFi. Robert mentioned he may know of a workaround but didn't elaborate. It's a no go for me if it requires an internet connection.
    Go to page