Contributor - Level 2

Network "search" for mixer from tablet failed

The last time I attempt to connect from my tablet, it couldn't find my mixer (using the Midas app and Mixing Station). My Venu 360 was found by it's app with no problem.
The "default" address that the mixer app had in the field was 192.168....... The address that the Venu app "found" was 10.0.1.3, so I changed the address for the mixer app to 10.0.1.1 (or maybe 2) and it connected right up. I was just hunting. I don't use static addresses, and don't want to get into that discussion right now.
I use the tablet on my home network all the time. Did the app revert to the 192.168.... address because of this?
Would the app find the mixer if I had changed the 192.168 to 10.0.1. (any number here or even blank)? Or cleared the address field completely? Cause? Solution?

thanks

DavidAllred Contributor - Level 2 2018-08-09

2018-08-09

Network "search" for mixer from tablet failed

The last time I attempt to connect from my tablet, it couldn't find my mixer (using the Midas app and Mixing Station). My Venu 360 was found by it's app with no problem.
The "default" address that the mixer app had in the field was 192.168....... The address that the Venu app "found" was 10.0.1.3, so I changed the address for the mixer app to 10.0.1.1 (or maybe 2) and it connected right up. I was just hunting. I don't use static addresses, and don't want to get into that discussion right now.
I use the tablet on my home network all the time. Did the app revert to the 192.168.... address because of this?
Would the app find the mixer if I had changed the 192.168 to 10.0.1. (any number here or even blank)? Or cleared the address field completely? Cause? Solution?

thanks

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Network "search" for mixer from tablet failed

Were you using the built in WiFi router of the X Air or was it connected by cable to a separate router? The X Air will default to the 192.168.1.1 address unless you have already set it to something else in the 10.0.1.xx and stored it. So Mixing Station would have to be looking for something in that address range to discover it.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks.
Sorry. Should have mentioned that I connect thru an Airport Express and switch. WiFi only (5ghz). I don't recall ever "storing" anything with the app. Always thru a wired laptop using Edit.
Never NOT been able to connect with the tablet before (after initial trials).

The Apple or switch assigns the addresses (10.0.1.xx). The MR18 didn't default to 192.168.1.1, the app did. Or rather that is where it was looking for the MR, until I changed where it should look.
If it happens again and I don't know where the MR is assign, can I just enter 10., or 10.0., or 10.0.1.? And it discover from there?
Contributor - Level 3

No you won't be able to just re-enter part of the IP address into the MR app. That won't work. You have to know the address that the Airport Express has assigned to the MR to be able to tell the app where to look. That is why fixed IP addresses for digital mixer systems are a good idea IMHO. That way you always know what it should be rather than having to guess.
Contributor - Level 2

Richard YClark;150361 wrote:
No you won't be able to just re-enter part of the IP address into the MR app. That won't work. You have to know the address that the Airport Express has assigned to the MR to be able to tell the app where to look.

You are right. It throws an error. But I did find this out. As long as the 1st 3 numbers in the series are correct the last can be essentially anything. For example, the app had 10.0.1.1 in the address box. A search found the mixer at 10.0.1.4.
Still is weird that the address field in the app showed 192.168.1.1 that time.

thanks again
Contributor - Level 3

Well that address is the mixer's default IP address if nothing else has issued it with one.
Contributor - Level 2

Richard YClark;150378 wrote:
Well that address is the mixer's default IP address if nothing else has issued it with one.

Are you saying that the app knows that as the default, even at the first opening after download and install?
Contributor - Level 3

No, not the app but the mixer itself in the AP/WLAN/ LAN settings menus. The app will either Search for the mixer on the WiFi router to which it is connected when you click on the Search button or if you click on Connect will use either the IP address that you have entered in the app or the one it remembered and is showing in the IP address box. All this is on the first page of the app that shows when you open it before the mixer is connected.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks