Contributor - Level 3

New Windows Driver Available for U-PHORIA UMC-Series Version 4.59.0

I have not found a thread announcing this, but anyone using Windows having problems with their Behringer UMC audio interfaces, should try the new driver version 4.59.0. I believe it was released in the last month or two. It is for the following models:

UMC202, UMC202HD
UMC204, UMC204HD
UMC404, UMC404HD
UMC1820

Support for:

Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 8.1
Windows 10

Driver Details:
This driver offers…
various minor improvements and bug-fixes
full Windows 10 support
updated I/O channel names for the WDM driver part
added ASIO-compatible logo at the UMC driver panel
If you’re using already one of the named UMC interfaces without any trouble, there is noneed to install this driver. If you install an UMC device for the first time, this driver is recommended for a maximum compatibility.

Make sure to follow the Readme file instructions for installation.

ThomasAlexander Contributor - Level 3 2019-05-06

2019-05-06

New Windows Driver Available for U-PHORIA UMC-Series Version 4.59.0

I have not found a thread announcing this, but anyone using Windows having problems with their Behringer UMC audio interfaces, should try the new driver version 4.59.0. I believe it was released in the last month or two. It is for the following models:

UMC202, UMC202HD
UMC204, UMC204HD
UMC404, UMC404HD
UMC1820

Support for:

Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 8.1
Windows 10

Driver Details:
This driver offers…
various minor improvements and bug-fixes
full Windows 10 support
updated I/O channel names for the WDM driver part
added ASIO-compatible logo at the UMC driver panel
If you’re using already one of the named UMC interfaces without any trouble, there is noneed to install this driver. If you install an UMC device for the first time, this driver is recommended for a maximum compatibility.

Make sure to follow the Readme file instructions for installation.

• 0 Kudos
  • 23 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: New Windows Driver Available for U-PHORIA UMC-Series Version 4.59.0

Thanks Thomas, but it looks like it's been pulled back. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 12.50.52 PM.png

I've never had a problem with 4.38 but was willing to make a full backup and take a chance for the team. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 3

Hello Ken,

It looks like they updated the site between yesterday and today. Are you aware of why they pulled it? 

-Tom

Hi Tom, 

They are back now. I wonder if it was just a revision control issue with the web page updates?  They are the same files you gave me this morning. Anyway, I'll start testing as soon as my offline backup completes. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 1

My headphones are not working through Cubase . my speakers are . When i record vocals it on plays through the left speaker 

Definitely lack of source control on the website.  The X-Touch firmware 1.15 disappeared this morning from the downloads page. Ugh. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm testing UMC 4.59 Drivers on a Windows 10 Pro system that basically worked with 4.38 so I have no idea if these drivers "fix" some of the installation issues. 

WARNING: The Installation/Upgrade process is tedious but needs to be followed.  Old drivers need to be uninstalled and the interface needs to be disconnected during a reboot to get a clean install. PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT CAME WITH THE DRIVERS AS WELL AS THE ON-SCREEN INSTRUCTIONS. 

The driver seems to work fine as a Windows system audio device. I played several YouTube videos at 48K and several audio files at 44.1K, 48K, 96K, and 192K.   The driver still has a bitrate issue if you try to play a YT video at 48K and open a DAW session at 44.1K.  However, the 4.59 driver seems to handle this better in that the audio for YT stops but the video continues to play.  YT sets the bitrate to 48K and the DAW session sets it to 44.1K. Closing the DAW session actually allows the YT audio to recover once it gets set back to 48K.  

As far as using it with a DAW, the ASIO driver also seems to work fine.  I haven't tested the WDM driver with a DAW yet. 

My next level of testing will be with Waves SoundGrid (ASIO) to confirm interoperability.  

If you have anything specific you'd like me to try out, please let me know. 

Ken

@traecampbell24 wrote:

My headphones are not working through Cubase . my speakers are . When i record vocals it on plays through the left speaker 

Hi Trae, 

Is this specific to 4.59, as in, was this working on version 4.38?  What interface are you using?

The headphones jack and Main LR outputs are in parallel so the only thing that could affect this is the separate level knobs for the Main LR and Headphones. 

As far as the vocals recording on the left that sounds correct.  Each input on a UMC device is a balanced Mono input. For example, the UMC404HD Input 1 and 3 are Left and Input 2 and 4 are Right unless you press the Stereo/Mono button to combine all Left and Right channels.  However, not all UMC interfaces have a Stereo/Mono button. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

Contributor - Level 3

@KenMitchell,

Thanks for your testing feedback. The driver Readme file mentioned bug fixes so that's a good thing, but they don't mention what the bugs were. Do you consider this issue between YT and DAW playback a bug or just a limitation? Even if just a limitation, apparently there are a number of people who want the "feature" to be able to shift between both seamlessly. Maybe Behringer can be lobbied to fix include this.

What happens if you have your DAW set to 48KHz. Can you switch between DAW and YT without issues then?

@ThomasAlexander 

Hi Tom, 

Bug fixes are good, assuming the fix doesn't cause more trouble than the original bug.   So far both the WDM and ASIO drivers appear to be working well.  As far as what I pointed out between YT and a DAW (in this case Reaper), I don't feel it's a bug nor do I feel it's a limitation.  These are audio interfaces not sound cards.  

If the engine in my car is already running I wouldn't try to start it again or really bad things could happen.  It's the same with trying to have two different applications driving the interface at two different bitrates.  In addition, the browser is using the WDM driver and the DAW is (likely) using the ASIO driver.  Since ASIO bypasses the OS, there's no way for the WDM driver to know what happened. That's the very nature of ASIO and why it can provide low latency.  The only way I could see for Behringer (actually Thesycon, since it's their drivers) to "fix" this is to lock out ASIO access when the WDM driver is in use of visa-versa.  I use "fix" loosely because I don't really think there's anything broken. 

I can't say for sure, but I've had good luck with running multiple applications at the same bitrate. In other words, I can play a YT video at 48K and open a project in Reaper at 48K without any problems. 

More test results to follow. 

Ken

Contributor - Level 3

Hi Ken,

Ken Mitchell: "As far as what I pointed out between YT and a DAW (in this case Reaper), I don't feel it's a bug nor do I feel it's a limitation. These are audio interfaces not sound cards."

This is what I was alluding to Ken. I have heard users complain about their troubles trying to use their DAW and services like Youtube, going back and forth between them. I wondered if what I called a limitation is actually the intended behavior and more of a feature than a bug. And considering the very affordable price point of the Uphoria UMC devices, could it be we have more and more (casual?) users who are trying to use these interfaces in a way they were not designed for; as hybrid devices (or external sound cards)? This leads me to wonder how other Audio Interfaces (other brands) handle these same situations and if Behringer should attempt to appease a broader base of users. If they can do it without hurting the primary core function as an ASIO based audio interface (perhaps by locking out ASIO access as you said), then it may make sense.

How does Behringer educate people (or should they?) as to the intended function of these devices without discouraging sales. My earlier impressions (from the internet), as a casual user myself, were that audio interfaces are a sort of external soundcard, so I can understand how some may be misinformed. Anyway, thanks to Behringer for continuing to support these devices.

-Tom