ThomasAlexander Contributor - Level 3 2019-05-06

2019-05-06

New Windows Driver Available for U-PHORIA UMC-Series Version 4.59.0

I have not found a thread announcing this, but anyone using Windows having problems with their Behringer UMC audio interfaces, should try the new driver version 4.59.0. I believe it was released in the last month or two. It is for the following models:

UMC202, UMC202HD
UMC204, UMC204HD
UMC404, UMC404HD
UMC1820

Support for:

Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 8.1
Windows 10

Driver Details:
This driver offers…
various minor improvements and bug-fixes
full Windows 10 support
updated I/O channel names for the WDM driver part
added ASIO-compatible logo at the UMC driver panel
If you’re using already one of the named UMC interfaces without any trouble, there is noneed to install this driver. If you install an UMC device for the first time, this driver is recommended for a maximum compatibility.

Make sure to follow the Readme file instructions for installation.

• 0 Kudos
  • 23 Replies
Rising Star - Level 3

Re: New Windows Driver Available for U-PHORIA UMC-Series Version 4.59.0

Hey Tom, 

I'm going to take another step closer to the edge and hopefully not start a debate. I think the problem is rooted in the Windows OS and the fact that there has to be an ASIO driver at all.  Just like my car analogy of trying to engage the starter while the engine is already running, allowing ASIO acccess while WDM is in use or visa-versa is just asking for trouble.   I just ran a test on a Mac and I'm really curious as to how MacOS core audio does it.  Somehow I'm able to play a 48K YT video and a 44.1K audio project in Reaper at the same time and it's glitch-free.  Are they converting the 44.1K to 48K on the fly? 

Anyway, I still think 4.59 is a significant improvement in that the YT video no longer hangs when the bitrate is changed out from under it.  The audio does stop but can be recovered by shutting down the DAW and refreshing the page to change the bitrate back to 48K. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Ken,

I just finished some basic testing with my DAW and Youtube. Started with both at 48 kHz both played without a hitch. I then set the DAW to 44 kHz, leaving YT at 48. Double checked with Windows 10 sound settings AND DAW sound settings to make sure it's 44. DAW was set to ASIO and Win 10 PC was set to run with "NVIDIA High Definition Audio". I was able to run YT video and play bass guitar in DAW simultaneously. Then I switched the PC (and thus YT) to run with "OUT 1-2 (BEHRINGER UMC 404HD 192k)", same as my DAW. I was still able to play the Bass VSTi in the DAW and listen to a Youtube video at the same time. I can't see any fault here. If my methodology is off let me know, maybe I'm missing something.

-Tom

Rising Star - Level 3

Hi Tom, 

That's an interestin discovery and may be another source of confusion for users.  For my testing, I was specifically setting the Windows system audio default to the 404HD and also setting the 404HD as my ASIO audio interface in Reaper.  What you did was have your NVIDIA audio as your Windows system default and the 404HD as ASIO in your DAW and then you changed your system audio default to the 404HD.  I'm at a festival today but I'll try that out tonight when I get home. 

BTW, what browser are you using for YT videos? I'm using Chrome. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 3

Hey Ken,

I'm using Firefox Quantum. DAW is Mixcraft. I just finished another test. I set the 404HD as the default playback and recording device in Windows sound settings. Both exclusive mode boxes under the advanced tab were checked and I left as is. DAW still using UMC ASIO at 44kHz and I assume YT is always 48kHz? I was able to go back and forth from DAW to YT, no problem. I also set a YT video playing, then went to the DAW and played some piano while YT video was still playing ininterupted. Let me know if there is any other setting/test you would like me to try.

-Tom

Contributor - Level 3

Well... I thought 48 kHz was standard for YT videos, but then I found this YT help page:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6039860?hl=en

In part, they say: "44.1kHz recommended. Higher sample rates are accepted but not required (for example, 48kHz or 96kHz)." Is there an easy way to check sample rate without downloading? Stats for nerds don't seem to include SR. I tried several YT videos and now am not sure what the SR was. I downloaded one and checked- it was 44 kHz. So I guess I need to source out some YT videos that are actually 48 kHz.

Rising Star - Level 3

Hi Tom, 

During all of my testing I keep the UMC Control Panel "status" tab open. The "Current Sample Rate" is a read-only field showing the current setting for the interface.  I have some default YT videos that I know what the bitrate is and I determined this by bouncing back and forth between a DAW project and YT.  Some are 48K and some are 44.1K. 

UMC404HD is set to both Windows default output (1-2) and ASIO device in Reaper. 

1. Open UMC Control Panel and click on Status. 

2. Open a 44.1K project in Reaper. 

3. Note the Current Sample Rate changes to 44.1K. 

4. Open a known 48K YT video. 

5. Note the Current Sample Rate changes to 48K. 

6. Cick on Reaper to bring it to the front. 

7. Note the Current Sample Rate changes back to 44.1K. 

8. Note the audio from YT video goes away but video keeps playing. 

9. Click on browser to bring it back to the front. 

10. Refresh the YT video page. 

11. Note the Current Sample Rate changes back to 48K. 

12. YT audio is heard again. 

I can do the same thing with a 48K project and a 44.1K YT video. 

This is a marked improvement over 4.38 which would hang the YT video or hang the DAW until an interface reset was issued. 

Still more testing to follow. 

Ken

Contributor - Level 3

Hi Ken,

I tried to replicate your method as closely as I could with some mods, in essence reversing the SR values.

UMC404HD is set to both Windows default output (1-2) and ASIO device in DAW both at 48K. Since I don't have verified 48k YT videos to try, I recorded a small 48k audio project in the DAW.

1. Open UMC Control Panel and click on Status.

2. Open a 48K project in DAW.

3. Note the Current Sample Rate remains at 48K.

4. Open a known 44.1K YT video in Firefox.

5. Note the Current Sample Rate remains at 48K.

6. Cick on DAW to bring it to the front.

7. Note the Current Sample Rate remains at 48K.

8. Note the audio from YT video continues and video keeps playing.

9. Click on browser to bring it back to the front.

10. Refresh the YT video page.

11. Note the Current Sample Rate remains at 48K.

12. The only way I could get YT video to NOT play properly was to have the SR in DAW at one value and SR in Windows at another value. Then YT wouldn't even start and I got the error "If playbacks doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device."

So I could not get the SR value on the UMC Control Panel status tab to change. It remained fixed at whatever I had it set to while I alternated between DAW and YT on Firefox. So that being the case, maybe there was some SRC going on.

Additional: I downloaded a YT video of my son's performance, so I know it was done at 44.1K. I then imported it into the DAW. UMC Control Panel status tab still showed 48K while it played. Switched back and forth from DAW to YT on FF and no changed in staus tab. Will report if anything changes. And I agree with you Ken, that this update seems like a big improvement.

-Tom

Rising Star - Level 3

Hi Tom, 

I did a litle more exploring in the Reaper audio settings and I can reproduce exactly what you are seeing.  Under audio settings in Reaper there's an option to close the audio device when Reaper is stopped and Inactive. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 10.11.12 AM.png

This is what allows other applications like Chrome to work when I click away from Reaper.  I've also discovered if I start Reaper first at 48K with that option unchecked (i.e. Reaper won't let go of the interface) YT will still play 44.1K videos without changing the samplerate to 44.1K.  Not sure how that works but it must be some transcoding function within Chrome or at YT before delivery. 

As the old saying goes... "There's a lot of moving parts in this machine.". 

Ken

Contributor - Level 1

Hi, I have received a Behringer U-Phoria umc204hd for my birthday, but I cannot install it... drivers are nowhere to be found on the Behringer website (and I do not see any of the free software that I've heard/read about). How am I supposed to instal my device? Thanks for your anticipated help.

Volunteer Moderator

@Ludovicus wrote:

Hi, I have received a Behringer U-Phoria umc204hd for my birthday, but I cannot install it... drivers are nowhere to be found on the Behringer website (and I do not see any of the free software that I've heard/read about). How am I supposed to instal my device? Thanks for your anticipated help.

"nowhere to be found" - Odd, it took me 3 clicks in google to find it all here.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!