Jetson Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-16

2019-08-16

No signal in Logic

So I transferred everything from my old mixer to the XR18.  I have signals in both the ipad software and the X Air macbook pro software. I have sound to both a wedge monitor and out of a headphone distribution amp. The Macbook Pro is connected to XR 18 via USB port. Logic is set with input and output to XR18 but I have no signal at all in Logic,. What am I doing wrong? TIA

• 0 Kudos
  • 24 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: No signal in Logic

I loaded the scene into my XR18. There are no channels on the mixer that receive input via USB, hence nothing flowing out of Logic reaches the XR18.

If I change the Channel Input for your 17/18 to USB I get sound from my Mac.

My normal setup has AUX(line in) 17/18 set to USB input, On the Mac I have the "speakers" configure (Audio/MIDI Setup) with left as 17, right as 18.

Logic Pro X 10.4.8, X-Touch 1.15, XR18 1.5, macOS 10.14.5|10.15.2
Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

@Jetson 

You can try this version of your scene. It has all (XR18's) 18 inputs set for USB input.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@ChrisJanton , @DaveMorrison 

I'm confused.  From what I read, @Jetson wants to record the analog inputs into Logic but he can't get any signal to show up in Logic.   

What you are giving him is USB Return settings to playback tracks from Logic into the XR18. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

@KenMitchell 

You're right. I was just trying to cover a few more bases. Returning signal back to Logic is usually simple. If the Mixer is set as the In and Out device, individual channel In (and Out) and the Mic privacy (for Mojave) allowed, there's not else to set.

Contributor - Level 2

Hi James @Jetson ,

I am not a master in reading scene files. Just a question, what is your input signal? In routing you have to select the tap point where to pick up the xr18 usb out signal to pick up from. When I read the szene file correct, the usb out signal is directly coming from analogue in, straight from the preamp. If your signal source is usb, you would have to switch the tap point to input or something later in the chain.

Ulf

Behringer XR18, X Air iPad Air2, X-Air-Edit PC Windows 7, X Air Android
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

I wasn't thorough enough in my explanation. I assumed that solving the Logic to XR18 problem was the main issue.

All of the channels (1-16) have the USB send set to Analog which is the proper setting to directly record into the computer (raw).

If the expectation is to record a microphone plugged in to the XR18 channel (like channel 3 with 48v power on) then this is the proper setup.

If the expectation is to pass audio from Logic to a channel and have it return to Logic the channel needs to be set to USB return AND Logic needs to send audio to that channel. I use the I/O plugin in Logic to route audio into the XR18 and back to test/fiddle mixer settings.

The scene provided *should* send audio to Logic. The scene provided will not send any audio from Logic to the mixer.

Logic Pro X 10.4.8, X-Touch 1.15, XR18 1.5, macOS 10.14.5|10.15.2
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Sorry for late reply. Yes Dave

James E Tate
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I tried your scene Dave. I still had no signal in Logic but it stopped all sound to monitor and headphones. My old mixer was ancient and we had no problems. Just needed more channels!

James E Tate
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Ulf, excuse my ignorance. What exactly is a tap point?

James E Tate
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@Jetson wrote:

I tried your scene Dave. I still had no signal in Logic but it stopped all sound to monitor and headphones. My old mixer was ancient and we had no problems. Just needed more channels!

Hi James ( @Jetson ), 

Yeah, what Dave's scene did was change all of your channel inputs from Analog to USB Returns which is definitely not what you want if you want to record into Logic.   To "fix" this, click on "In/Out" in the Right menu, then click on the "USB Returns" tab at the top of the window, and finally click "Off (Analog)" to reload the default analog preset. 

To answer your other question, a tap point is a point in the channel signal path where the a USB Send can be placed when sending a signal to a DAW.  Ulf was just confirming that you had it set to Analog (default) which is what you want when recording inputs into Logic.  

Getting back to your situation, have you confirmed that you have record monitoring turned on for the tracks in Logic? 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver