Highlighted
Regular Contributor - Level 1

OSC FX Control Pedal connected over Ethernet for XAir Mixers

Good afternoon.

I'd like to show you a pedal I just finished up that my bands use for controlling FX send mutes on the XR18 board.

I use the Bandhelper songlist app in conjunction with this pedal to automate vocal delay effects, based on song selection.

This pedal uses an ethernet connection with my external router which is connected to the XR18. This enables a bidirectional communication using OSC between the pedal and the mixer board.

If I mute the effect on my laptop, the pedal shows it, and vice versa. Also the pedal displays the scribble strip name for the particular effect as well as showing the mute status.

One handy feature is a tempo LED indication of each FX's delay in milliseconds.

The singer knows at a glance that he's got the right delay already programmed in for that particular song.

All these parameters are sent (in sysex/OSC) by the Bandhelper app, every time I select the next song on the iPad app.

Tried it on a gig last night and had no problems.

Many thanks to Paul Vanatto for the OSC communication code structure.

Hardware used is an ESP32, W5100 wiznet ethernet board and 3.5" TFT display on a RPi shield.

Here is a YouTube link showing operation.  

https://youtu.be/OfSsz2KgyZk

This link is an update showing one more feature.

https://youtu.be/RSLh3-aN86c

FX Pedal.JPG

Don Mc Southwestern Ontario
DonMcLellan Regular Contributor - Level 1 2019-04-17

2019-04-17

OSC FX Control Pedal connected over Ethernet for XAir Mixers

Good afternoon.

I'd like to show you a pedal I just finished up that my bands use for controlling FX send mutes on the XR18 board.

I use the Bandhelper songlist app in conjunction with this pedal to automate vocal delay effects, based on song selection.

This pedal uses an ethernet connection with my external router which is connected to the XR18. This enables a bidirectional communication using OSC between the pedal and the mixer board.

If I mute the effect on my laptop, the pedal shows it, and vice versa. Also the pedal displays the scribble strip name for the particular effect as well as showing the mute status.

One handy feature is a tempo LED indication of each FX's delay in milliseconds.

The singer knows at a glance that he's got the right delay already programmed in for that particular song.

All these parameters are sent (in sysex/OSC) by the Bandhelper app, every time I select the next song on the iPad app.

Tried it on a gig last night and had no problems.

Many thanks to Paul Vanatto for the OSC communication code structure.

Hardware used is an ESP32, W5100 wiznet ethernet board and 3.5" TFT display on a RPi shield.

Here is a YouTube link showing operation.  

https://youtu.be/OfSsz2KgyZk

This link is an update showing one more feature.

https://youtu.be/RSLh3-aN86c

FX Pedal.JPG

• 4 Kudos
  • 29 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: OSC FX Control Pedal connected over Ethernet for XAir Mixers

That is amazing Don (@DonMcLellan)! Are you using some of the arduino code that I posted for Kevin Maxwell for his startup sketch? Many thanks for sharing. We need to find a time when we can get together so you can show it in person.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Hi Paul,

I'd love to meet up with you sometime!

I used many parts of the code that you posted months back.  I really learned a lot from so many of your contributions!

I can post my version of the code here if that's ok.

Don

I tried to upload the .ino files and the forum won't allow it...  what do you suggest?

Volunteer Moderator

Zip the files then attach the zip file 

Here are the sketch files, including a font file that has to be included in the sketch folder.

Don

Super Contributor - Level 2

Pretty slick package already!! Looks like it's ready for market as it sits. I've seen many things out there officially for sale that don't look as polished! Very nice job. (yes I know they aren't for sale-or are they)

Volunteer Moderator

Hey Don (@DonMcLellan),

Thanks for the sketch. The code looks great - well polished. I just sent you a PM.

Super Contributor - Level 1

Is this only for Delay or can it work for any Effect?  A four channel version to control all four Fx channels would Rock.  This looks better than a lot of expensive pedals.  Kudos!

Behringer XR18, Xtouch, PM16. PA and Recording using Studio One Pro.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Currently the code is set to work for the Stereo Delay FX, because that's what I needed for my bands.

All you would need to do is change some of the definitions in the beginning of the code.

Next step I will work on in development is to make a cellphone app that will enable you to change these definitions over BT using your phone.  This should make the pedal very versatile.

A 4 channel version is certainly do-able, just need to double its size and maybe add another screen.

Or, since it connects thru ethernet, using two of these pedals at the same time should also work just as well.

Don