DonMcLellan Regular Contributor - Level 1 2019-04-17

2019-04-17

OSC FX Control Pedal connected over Ethernet for XAir Mixers

Good afternoon.

I'd like to show you a pedal I just finished up that my bands use for controlling FX send mutes on the XR18 board.

I use the Bandhelper songlist app in conjunction with this pedal to automate vocal delay effects, based on song selection.

This pedal uses an ethernet connection with my external router which is connected to the XR18. This enables a bidirectional communication using OSC between the pedal and the mixer board.

If I mute the effect on my laptop, the pedal shows it, and vice versa. Also the pedal displays the scribble strip name for the particular effect as well as showing the mute status.

One handy feature is a tempo LED indication of each FX's delay in milliseconds.

The singer knows at a glance that he's got the right delay already programmed in for that particular song.

All these parameters are sent (in sysex/OSC) by the Bandhelper app, every time I select the next song on the iPad app.

Tried it on a gig last night and had no problems.

Many thanks to Paul Vanatto for the OSC communication code structure.

Hardware used is an ESP32, W5100 wiznet ethernet board and 3.5" TFT display on a RPi shield.

Here is a YouTube link showing operation.  

https://youtu.be/OfSsz2KgyZk

This link is an update showing one more feature.

https://youtu.be/RSLh3-aN86c

FX Pedal.JPG

• 4 Kudos
  • 29 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: OSC FX Control Pedal connected over Ethernet for XAir Mixers

Hey Paul, I downloaded the free version of Mixing Station this morning. Works fine. I need to get a stand to sit the tablet on and then it should work well. I'll purchase the Pro version later today. To your point, yes, I'd love to see a customized version. I'll give this a try during the sessions later tonight and report back. Ultimately, the foot pedal solution may be the best route, but I want to give the tablet a shot first. I appreciate everyone's help very much!
Thanks, Tommy Swindle
Volunteer Moderator

That is very cool Tommy (@TommySwindle). Those of us who use Mixing Station love it. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll see if I can make up a custom layout for talkback when I get home from work.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Hey everyone,

Just a quick update on Don's @DonMcLellan foot pedal project. Don was gracious enough to bring it over and show it to me "live and in color" yesterday. He has developed this pedal far beyond any other DIY project that the forum community has been involved with to this point. The capabilities are simply amazing. Not only does it fulfill Don's needs, it is fully programmable to handle any any dual value (On/Off, Mute/Unmute, Enable/Disable, etc.) OSC control needs.

He has also developed an android app to help change these programming settings and communicates with the footpedal (with the ESP32 to be exact) via bluetooth. There is also a list of all dual value OSC commands that he parsed out of the SysexOscGen X-Air list, to easily pick and choose the desired OSC command.

He also had a rudimentary routine to set this up for the X32. So I brought in one of my X32 Racks to try it out. It did connect and some of it worked. Once he understood that the X32 OSC dialect is a bit different than the X-Air dialect, he is planning on going through the X32 command list of SysexOscGen. So this foot pedal project could be used for both console families. 

This is clearly a "best in class" project. If you knew what he did as his day job, you would understand why it is best in class. Many thanks Don for sharing this with us.

Contributor - Level 3

Hey Paul. I’ve purchased the pro version and have been using it regularly with my tablet for talkback. Works great! I have not had a chance to dig into custom layouts. It would be nice to have the talkback buttons at the bottom of the screen and, say, the input meters on the same screen. For tracking that would be killer. Thanks again. Hope all is well.
Thanks, Tommy Swindle
Volunteer Moderator

You are most welcome Tommy @TommySwindle. Glad to hear that you have joined the Mixing Station user community. 

Super Contributor - Level 2

@TommySwindle wrote:
It would be nice to have the talkback buttons at the bottom of the screen and, say, the input meters on the same screen. For tracking that would be killer.

@TommySwindle 

Hi Tommy, do you mean something like this?

MSP Talkback.jpg

I've attached the layout. If you want to try it, unzip it and copy the whole folder settings-Talkback to your tablet into the folder /MixingStation/xm32/. Open MSP, click the gear icon and select Layouts. Click the folder icon, long-click the Talkback entry and select Load. The layout is from a 10" tablet so it may need some tweaking for a device with a different screen size.

To return to the normal MSP layout, click the gear icon and select Layouts. Click the folder icon, long-click the default entry and select Load.

Contributor - Level 3

Rex, Thanks! Yes, this is very similar to what I'd envisioned. I'll give it a try. I can imagine this being handy during tracking sessions. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Tommy Swindle www.3rdAvenueSound.com
Thanks, Tommy Swindle
Contributor - Level 3

Rex, I finally got a chance to load the Layout you made for me. It works! I have a couple of quick questions.. 1) I run my Talkback in TBA, latched mode. I'm not sure how to change it on this layer from the tablet? 2) There are a bunch of white boxes in the meters display. Not sure how to eliminate that? Very cool sir!.
Thanks, Tommy Swindle
Super Contributor - Level 2

@TommySwindle wrote:
Rex, I finally got a chance to load the Layout you made for me. It works! I have a couple of quick questions.. 1) I run my Talkback in TBA, latched mode. I'm not sure how to change it on this layer from the tablet? 2) There are a bunch of white boxes in the meters display. Not sure how to eliminate that? Very cool sir!.

@TommySwindle 

Hi Tommy, I'm glad the MSP layout is nearly working for you. Here's how to fix the problems:

1. Open the Setup menu (gearwheel) and select Layouts. Click on the bar labelled Mixer. Long-press the Talkback A button then select Edit. Click on Touch mode and select Single press. Then use the back button to display the layout again. You can also change the text box (Momentary) by long-press, Edit and clicking on Label. If you want to remove the other button, long-press and select Delete.  You can move objects by press and drag. If you click on Resize (at the top right), press and drag will move the bottom right corner of an object. When you have finished editing the layout, click the back button a couple of times to return to the normal display. 

2. Open the Setup menu (gearwheel) and select App. Select the MIXER tab and click the Meterbridge Faders button to turn it off.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks Rex! All is well.. This will be used a lot.. I appreciate your help. Attached a pic. Love it! Tommy Swindle www.3rdAvenueSound.com
Thanks, Tommy Swindle