Contributor - Level 2

OSC or MIDI Control for Channel (0-15) FX Sends?

I use MIDI control during performances, but could also use OSC. I have separate FX in all 4 slots. Ideally, I'd like to be able to control the send of each channel (or at least 4 of them) to a given FX slot. Yeah, I can do it using X-Air Edit, but I need to use physical knobs during solo performance (can't be looking at the screen).

Is there a way to do this via OSC?

Or, another thought I had was using the 0-15 Channel Pan MIDI control as a sort of dry/wet mix for each channel in a given FX slot. Haven't thought that one through yet...

Any ideas?
JohnBaker Contributor - Level 2 2018-08-17

2018-08-17

OSC or MIDI Control for Channel (0-15) FX Sends?

I use MIDI control during performances, but could also use OSC. I have separate FX in all 4 slots. Ideally, I'd like to be able to control the send of each channel (or at least 4 of them) to a given FX slot. Yeah, I can do it using X-Air Edit, but I need to use physical knobs during solo performance (can't be looking at the screen).

Is there a way to do this via OSC?

Or, another thought I had was using the 0-15 Channel Pan MIDI control as a sort of dry/wet mix for each channel in a given FX slot. Haven't thought that one through yet...

Any ideas?

• 0 Kudos
  • 10 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: OSC or MIDI Control for Channel (0-15) FX Sends?

Yes, anything you can do in XAir-Edit, you can do with OSC because XAir-Edit itself uses OSC to control the mixer.

Look at the official docs on Xair OSC here.

For more details, check out Patrick-Gilles Maillot's X32 OSC Protocol Document (it also covers XAir) on his website.

Paul Vannatto has some very useful utilities for operating with XAir OSC called the XAir Live Toolbox. Look here.

Patrick also has some nice command line utilities for XAir on his GitHub site.

I have my own XAir utilities I cloned and heavily modified from Patrick's code here, and some BASH based utilities for writing custom MIDI to OSC control sequences here.

-Ted
Rising Star - Level 3

Ted Rippert;150733 wrote:
Yes, anything you can do in XAir-Edit, you can do with OSC because XAir-Edit itself uses OSC to control the mixer.

Look at the official docs on Xair OSC here.

For more details, check out Patrick-Gilles Maillot's X32 OSC Protocol Document (it also covers XAir) on his website.

Paul Vannatto has some very useful utilities for operating with XAir OSC called the XAir Live Toolbox. Look here.

Patrick also has some nice command line utilities for XAir on his GitHub site.

I have my own XAir utilities I cloned and heavily modified from Patrick's code here, and some BASH based utilities for writing custom MIDI to OSC control sequences here.

-Ted

Hi John,

Another option might be to connect a USB MIDI controller to a tablet running Mixing Station Pro and configure MSP to control the FX Sends based on MIDI input. If you could find a used BCR2000 that would be ideal for this kind of thing.

HtH,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Ted & Ken. Sounds like its achievable. Now to figure out the best way for the least work, preferably off-the-shelf rather than building and coding.

I'm using a USB MIDI controller through my iPad and XR12 system. Its an Akai Midimix, and has linear channel faders with 3 rotary pots above each fader. You can set each fader or pot to send any CC# to any channel. I'm using it now to control my XR12 channel volumes.

Ideally, I'd like to continue using the faders for volume, but then add using the channel pots to control XR12 FX Channel Sends. So, each channel fader would include an independent send knob for FX1, FX2, and FX3.

After reading through this helpful info, it seems that the Mixing Station Pro app could do the job. I could justify moving to Android if that was the case.

Am I right in assuming this solution might be viable?
Super Contributor - Level 2

John Baker;150757 wrote:
Thanks Ted & Ken. Sounds like its achievable. Now to figure out the best way for the least work, preferably off-the-shelf rather than building and coding.

I'm using a USB MIDI controller through my iPad and XR12 system. Its an Akai Midimix, and has linear channel faders with 3 rotary pots above each fader. You can set each fader or pot to send any CC# to any channel. I'm using it now to control my XR12 channel volumes.

Ideally, I'd like to continue using the faders for volume, but then add using the channel pots to control XR12 FX Channel Sends. So, each channel fader would include an independent send knob for FX1, FX2, and FX3.

After reading through this helpful info, it seems that the Mixing Station Pro app could do the job. I could justify moving to Android if that was the case.

Am I right in assuming this solution might be viable?

I've used a number of different USB Midi controllers with Mixing Station Xair Pro. It is easy to associate the external Midi controls with mixer controls using MSXP's Midi learning feature. It should work well for your application.
Contributor - Level 2

Can't wait to try it. I'm off to look for a decent 8" Android tablet.
Super Contributor - Level 2

John Baker;150772 wrote:

Add the Amazon Fire HD 8 to your list for consideration. The processor is not super powerful but it's more than enough to run MSXP. The display is pretty good for the money and the battery life is excellent. It also supports 802.11ac Wifi and accepts external USB Midi controllers. Amazon has stripped out a lot of the usual Android bloatware so it's efficient with memory. MSXP is available on Amazon's app store.

I bought a Fire HD 10 as a backup tablet and I'm very impressed with it. The only downside I have found is that it does not support a wired Ethernet USB adapter.

BTW: You will need an OTG adapter/cable to connect a Midi controller. Most Android tablets have USB Micro connectors so something like Lindy 0.15m USB OTG Cable should work with your Midimix.
Rising Star - Level 3

John Baker;150772 wrote:

Hi John,

One thing to look for when looking at tablets is if the tablet supports charging and OTG at the same time. OTG (On-the-Go) is what allows the tablet to act as a host for other USB devices (like a USB MIDI controller). Most tablets charge using the same Micro-USB port that you connect to for OTG. Some tablets, but not all, support charging while using OTG. If you can't find one that charges at the same time make sure you get one with at least an 8 hour battery life. Or, better yet, find one that has a separpate charging jack like the Samsung Galaxy View. The GV is way overkill for what you want to do but does have a separate power adapter, micro-USB port, and 3.5mm audio jack.

HtH,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, Ken. Great tip. FYI, my current iPad Mini-based setup has been running smooth for a long while. I intend to try to replicate it on Android. Here's what I use now:

iPad -> Lightning to USB adapter (camera connector kit, which also charges) --> powered USB hub

USB hub:
- Line 6 HX Effects (guitar effects, with MIDI USB for preset changes)
- Apple USB to Ethernet adapter (ethernet hardwired to XR12 for no latency or wi-fi issues)
- iConnect MIO (USB to MIDI DIN; MIDI DIN goes to XR 12 and some old school MIDI devices)
- Akai MidiMix (USB MIDI controller; versatile, sends CC or Note on any channel per control)

Essential iOS Apps
XR Edit
Setlist Maker (iOS and Android; sends MIDI preset info when I change songs to the XR12 (snapshots for FX slots and Aux1 sends)) and HX Effects (guitar tone presets)
MidiFlow (any needed MIDI filters or monitoring)

In real use, I select a song I'm going to play in Setlist Maker. Setlist Maker sends all preset/snapshot info to the XR12 and sound modules (e.g. HX Effects guitar FX); this puts all MIDI devices into a known state for each song.

The only thing I'm missing is the ability to control parameters in the XR12 beyond the limited MIDI CC commands (such as FX Channel Sends). That's why Mixing Station Pro/Android is attractive to me. (If Mixing Station Pro ran on the iPad, I would prefer that route, but its not.)

FYI, I already ordered a used ($40) Gen 6 Fire HD 8 tablet. $40 on E-bay. I figured its a low-risk, and I'll try the side-load workaround to use Google Play Store and apps. The HD 8 is mentioned by a fair number of X-Air users in these forums, so thought I'd give it a try. I'll let you know how things go in this thread after I try this all out.
Volunteer Moderator

John Baker;150787 wrote:
FYI, I already ordered a used ($40) Gen 6 Fire HD 8 tablet. $40 on E-bay. I figured its a low-risk, and I'll try the side-load workaround to use Google Play Store and apps.

No need to side-load, John. Mixing Station is available on Amazon - both free and Pro versions.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!