Contributor - Level 2

OnSong MIDI Control and X-Air

New to the forum but thought I'd share my experience with getting MIDI control of my XR-18 working with the iPad app that I use to manage my music. For those not familiar with OnSong, I highly recommend it! I'm now using it for not only controlling my music (setlists, chords, lyrics, etc) but also running my light show with DMX and now using MIDI to control both my guitar rig (Line 6 HELIX) as well as my mixer.

I'm using a Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth midi device to connect wirelessly from my iPad to the X-Air and I'm sending CC commands per song to adjust, for example, the channel level for whomever is the lead singer on a particular song. I'm also sending CC commands between songs to mute the FX sends so when we talk to the audience it's a dry signal rather than full of reverb/delay.

I also unlocked the secret to send the OSC SysEx commands in HEX so that each song now has the proper delay (in milliseconds) based upon our expected tempo. I even went so far as to send a command to mute the FX send before I send the delay time change message so there are no audible artifacts during the delay time change.

The learning curve was pretty steep and I had to put in some work up-front, but from now on, when I switch from one song to the next, all the commands are automatically sent without me ever having to touch anything other than my bluetooth foot controller that tells OnSong to move to the next song in the setlist.

The beauty is that after I put the work in, now I can just focus on playing and the rest of the stuff happens on its own!
LeeNelson Contributor - Level 2 2018-04-02

2018-04-02

OnSong MIDI Control and X-Air

New to the forum but thought I'd share my experience with getting MIDI control of my XR-18 working with the iPad app that I use to manage my music. For those not familiar with OnSong, I highly recommend it! I'm now using it for not only controlling my music (setlists, chords, lyrics, etc) but also running my light show with DMX and now using MIDI to control both my guitar rig (Line 6 HELIX) as well as my mixer.

I'm using a Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth midi device to connect wirelessly from my iPad to the X-Air and I'm sending CC commands per song to adjust, for example, the channel level for whomever is the lead singer on a particular song. I'm also sending CC commands between songs to mute the FX sends so when we talk to the audience it's a dry signal rather than full of reverb/delay.

I also unlocked the secret to send the OSC SysEx commands in HEX so that each song now has the proper delay (in milliseconds) based upon our expected tempo. I even went so far as to send a command to mute the FX send before I send the delay time change message so there are no audible artifacts during the delay time change.

The learning curve was pretty steep and I had to put in some work up-front, but from now on, when I switch from one song to the next, all the commands are automatically sent without me ever having to touch anything other than my bluetooth foot controller that tells OnSong to move to the next song in the setlist.

The beauty is that after I put the work in, now I can just focus on playing and the rest of the stuff happens on its own!

• 0 Kudos
  • 11 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: OnSong MIDI Control and X-Air

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the forum. Are you planning on providing your code and files for others to use with OnSong? This section is designated for 3rd party developers to provide code, apps, etc. for other users to use.

I also unlocked the secret to send the OSC SysEx commands in HEX

Are you aware of SysexOscGen (https://sourceforge.net/projects/sysexoscgen/) that was first released back in May 2015?
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, Paul! I read many of your posts on the OSC SysEx topic and the SysexOscGen.exe program got me most of the way there...so I sincerely thank you and the others involved for all the hard work.

I guess what I'd share is this...which is the explicit detailed instruction of the SysEx command string that is needed to send the correct tempo to the delay parameter.

The OSC command to change the delay time to 500 ms (which is equal to 120 BPM is:

/fx/2/par/02 0500

This assumes that you're using the stereo delay in slot FX2.

The complete SysEx message for this command is:

F0 00 20 32 32 2F 66 78 2F 32 2F 70 61 72 2F 30 32 20 30 35 30 30 F7

The key here are the highlighted numbers. The first 2 denotes which FX slot the stereo delay is in. (this would be changed to a 1, 3, or 4 if the stereo delay is in FX1, FX3, or FX4.

The last four highlighted numbers are the delay time in milliseconds. I found a web page that has a simple routine to put in a BPM value and it outputs the 1/4 note delay time in ms.

With this logic, it is actually almost trivial to send the proper SysEx message in every OnSong file to the X-Air. The other thing I do before I send the SysEx message is that I mute the FX sends by sending a CC38:127 command engages Mute Group 3 (which for me mutes all of the FX send channels). After the SysEx message I send a CC38:0 command to un-mute group 3. I do this so there are no audible artifacts heard when changing the delay time.

Hope this helps anyone that's been struggling to send the FX timing parameters to the X-Air via MIDI.
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

How do you configure and program onsong to do what you want?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Robert,

The beauty of OnSong is its ease of use. They’ve developed a MIDI add-in that gives you an intuitive GUI to use to build the MIDI commands. Those commands then get added to the meta data of the OnSong song fils as a simple ascii header. Really the only complicated part of this whole thing was figuring out the syntax of the SysEx command. After that it was a lot of copy/paste and then calculating the delay times that related to the BPM of the songs.
Contributor - Level 2

OnSong - Control Codes - How to Control HARMONY, DOUBLE Buttons TC VoiceLive Extreem

How do I send control codes CC from OnSong to Voice Live Extreem ?

Using OnSong connected to my VoiceLive Play Extreme via Yamaha Bluetooth which then loops to Beat Buddy. Keeping it simple I’ve Program codes on Channel 1 to set presets on my extreme
And program code change on channel 2 to change the Beat Buddy to match my OnSong chart .
Problem is when I manually scroll back up to the top of the song it automatically triggers my voice live play to turn on both the harmony and the double button on my extreme.

It seems to me that that action somehow is triggering a control code 110 for the harmony and I don’t know what the control code is for the doubler button and I don’t know what’s causing it.

How can I find out how this is happening, how to Stop it ?
Volunteer Moderator

I had an older version installed so I missed out on some options.

Lee Nelson;143492 wrote:
Robert,

The beauty of OnSong is its ease of use. They’ve developed a MIDI add-in that gives you an intuitive GUI to use to build the MIDI commands. Those commands then get added to the meta data of the OnSong song fils as a simple ascii header. Really the only complicated part of this whole thing was figuring out the syntax of the SysEx command. After that it was a lot of copy/paste and then calculating the delay times that related to the BPM of the songs.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

OnSong and Sysex over MIDI - Xair

Lee, I noticed you're using OnSong as I. I'm not able to get the XR18 to respond to Sysex OSC commands. I'm running OnSong on a newer iPad with the latest version of OnSong. The iPad is connected to a Puc+ via Bluetooth and out of the Puc+ with a 5 pin DIN into the XR18. Everything works great when I send standard CC & Program changes. When I choose Sysex in OnSong, enter the Hex Codes and test the command the XR18 doesn't respond. I'm assuming sending Sysex commands will work like standard CC & Program changes (i.e the Xair Edit App reflects the change, for example, appropriate slider moves in the GUI). I'm trying to control the input channel send levels to the Aux Busses. I have read some threads on this forum and others have made it work??? I have downloaded and are running the Sysex OSC Generator app I found on this forum to get the Hex Commands.

Thanks Jack.
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the forum. I tried to respond to your PM. But it seems to have a mind of its own lately and generates an error rather than posting. Here is my response.

Glad to hear that you found the SysexOscGen app. If the XR18 doesn't seem to be responding to the sysex command(s), have you enabled the DIN X-OSC (on the Setup, Audio/Midi screen in X-Air Edit - not sure where it is on the iPad, since I don't own one)?
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 2

OnSong and Sysex over MIDI - Xair

Paul, that did it!! Thank you, had no idea there was a setup parameter for DIN X-OSC.

Thanks again for your knowledge, time and energy in this forum.

Jack