Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

[PC] Ricoh Firewire & SK48

I've had my SK48 for just on 2 1/2 weeks, which I purchased along with Cubase 4.

I installed it & took many baby steps to figure out how to integrate everything from an analogue Windows 98 desktop setup, to a digital Vista notebook platform.

After a few days I figured out how to use the Integrator within Cubase 4, but was experiencing many drop-outs - about every 10 seconds or so. I couldn't get the Cubase External Effects setup to work. Very frustrated, I started reading about how the Ricoh Firewire chipset aren't "the most reliable" of chipsets.
All the DPC checkers I had used seemed to show (for the most part) that the Richo was working "reasonably", but still the drop-outs continued.

So the search began to find an alternative. All of the computer stores nearby had ExpressCard Firewire adaptors, but no-one could tell me if they had a Texas Instruments chipset. Frustration set in.

I thought I'd try changing as many of the settings that I could, where people had suggested that things could help. I disabled all sorts of hardware & software settings, disabling the onboard notebook audio, LAN & anti-virus software, to mention the usual suspects.
But I took it one step further & started disabling all sorts of things. This morning, I did something which disabled Vista from booting. Crap!

Tonight, I reinstalled Vista on a 2nd hard drive, deleted all non-essential software (from the DVD installer that came with my ASUS notebook), then slowly re-installed everything - starting with TC near.
When it came time to install Cubase & test it out, I setup all the various options (including using the Cubase External Effects) & imported a test MIDI file, BINGO! Everything worked from the get go.

I even upgraded to Cubase 4.5.1 & still no glitches. I installed my anti-virus (Kaspersky) & everything still works well.

So I don't know... I think whatever conflicts I had, must have been down to some other piece (or pieces) of software which were conflicting either with Cubase, or TC Near, or something else in the notebook hardware...

So I think that these computers we use are complicated things. I know that the most undesirable thing is to have to re-install your setup, but starting from a clean slate may just be the only way you'll overcome whatever problems you may be experiencing!
15" Macbook Pro (mid-2015), 16Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, Cubase 9.5, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 10. PPG Waveterm A + Wave 2.3 + PRK, Roland JX8P, Waldorf Microwave, Kawai K5000W, Novation X-Station 25. 2x TC Electronics Studio Konnekt 48, Focusrite Octopre mkII, MOTU MIDI Express XT. Lexicon MX400, Yamaha GQ2015A, Chevin Research A500, 2 x JBL 105's. Additional: QNAP TS-453BT3 NAS
Tags (1)
Anamnesia Contributor - Level 2 2008-09-11

2008-09-11

[PC] Ricoh Firewire & SK48

I've had my SK48 for just on 2 1/2 weeks, which I purchased along with Cubase 4.

I installed it & took many baby steps to figure out how to integrate everything from an analogue Windows 98 desktop setup, to a digital Vista notebook platform.

After a few days I figured out how to use the Integrator within Cubase 4, but was experiencing many drop-outs - about every 10 seconds or so. I couldn't get the Cubase External Effects setup to work. Very frustrated, I started reading about how the Ricoh Firewire chipset aren't "the most reliable" of chipsets.
All the DPC checkers I had used seemed to show (for the most part) that the Richo was working "reasonably", but still the drop-outs continued.

So the search began to find an alternative. All of the computer stores nearby had ExpressCard Firewire adaptors, but no-one could tell me if they had a Texas Instruments chipset. Frustration set in.

I thought I'd try changing as many of the settings that I could, where people had suggested that things could help. I disabled all sorts of hardware & software settings, disabling the onboard notebook audio, LAN & anti-virus software, to mention the usual suspects.
But I took it one step further & started disabling all sorts of things. This morning, I did something which disabled Vista from booting. Crap!

Tonight, I reinstalled Vista on a 2nd hard drive, deleted all non-essential software (from the DVD installer that came with my ASUS notebook), then slowly re-installed everything - starting with TC near.
When it came time to install Cubase & test it out, I setup all the various options (including using the Cubase External Effects) & imported a test MIDI file, BINGO! Everything worked from the get go.

I even upgraded to Cubase 4.5.1 & still no glitches. I installed my anti-virus (Kaspersky) & everything still works well.

So I don't know... I think whatever conflicts I had, must have been down to some other piece (or pieces) of software which were conflicting either with Cubase, or TC Near, or something else in the notebook hardware...

So I think that these computers we use are complicated things. I know that the most undesirable thing is to have to re-install your setup, but starting from a clean slate may just be the only way you'll overcome whatever problems you may be experiencing!

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: [PC] Ricoh Firewire & SK48

Anamnesia,

I believe you are right!

Computers do seem to be complicated & very finicky things.

I to, purchased my SK48 just a few weeks ago.

But before that, I had tried other interfaces via Firewire.

My computer had a combo USB/Firewire card on board.

I couldn't get anything that way.

Then I read some advise about getting a dedicated FireWire card.

So I searched & searched for one with the notorious TI Chipset.
Oddly enough, most didn't say.

The one I DID finally locate works excellent, and right away, and has not failed yet, before and especially after getting my SK48. Smiley Happy

Glad things are working for you now, but if needed in the future, the FireWire card that I have is:

A D S PYRO PCI 64R2 DV in/out PCI Card.

3 - 1394 ports for $32.00

Good luck Smiley Wink

James
t c SK48 | Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 | Roland UM-550 MIDI Interface | 3 Monitors | Win 7 Home - 64 Bit | i7-2600k | 16 Gigs Ram | ASUS P8Z68 MoBo | Cubase 8.0.4 | Roland V-Piano | Panorama P6 Keyboard | Yamaha P-200 | MIDI Modules | Roland TD-6 V-Drums | Some Guitars | Very Little Talent Smiley Wink