Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

PoE and accesspoint instead of external router

Hey everyone,

Last Christmas eve, I use my XR18 for a church service with a live band. I controlled it with an Android tablet. Everything went smooth during set-up an sound checking. But 10 minutes before the service started and people started to come in, the connection between the mixer and the tablet failed completely. Even when I was sitting next to the XR18 I could not find the mixer as an accesspoint anymore. Luckily I brought a laptop. I finished the service with my laptop hard-wired to the mixer.

Knowing this I now want to use an external router for connection my tablet with the XR18. I was wondering if the ethernetport supports Power over Ethernet. To minimize the number of powercables I prefer to use an accesspoint hard wired to the XR18 instead of a router. Does the XR18 support PoE? If so, can I use an accesspoint like an Ubiquiti UAP instead of a router? I see that the XR18 can function as a DHCP-server so I'm guessing it can work.

I could not find a topic in the forum to answer my questions. Who can help me out?
StefBrandjes Contributor - Level 1 2018-12-28

2018-12-28

PoE and accesspoint instead of external router

Hey everyone,

Last Christmas eve, I use my XR18 for a church service with a live band. I controlled it with an Android tablet. Everything went smooth during set-up an sound checking. But 10 minutes before the service started and people started to come in, the connection between the mixer and the tablet failed completely. Even when I was sitting next to the XR18 I could not find the mixer as an accesspoint anymore. Luckily I brought a laptop. I finished the service with my laptop hard-wired to the mixer.

Knowing this I now want to use an external router for connection my tablet with the XR18. I was wondering if the ethernetport supports Power over Ethernet. To minimize the number of powercables I prefer to use an accesspoint hard wired to the XR18 instead of a router. Does the XR18 support PoE? If so, can I use an accesspoint like an Ubiquiti UAP instead of a router? I see that the XR18 can function as a DHCP-server so I'm guessing it can work.

I could not find a topic in the forum to answer my questions. Who can help me out?

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: PoE and accesspoint instead of external router

Hi Stef,

Welcome to the forum. Yes it has been well documented that the internal wireless (G technology) in these X-Air consoles does not work well in a live environment, and it is highly recommended in adding an external dual band wireless (AC) router in order to utilize the less congested 5Ghz band. No the ethernet does not support PoE.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

here's what i use:

gl.inet gl-ar300m-ext router.

it's a tiny (approx 2inches) router with external antennas.
it's usb bus-powered meaning you won't need a large wall-wart. i use a powercube that has both edison and usb...short usb cable for the router, short iec cable for the mr18. very clean.
wifi range is surprisingly good.
it's cheap (less than $40)
it comes with 1 lan and 1 wan...but if you update the firmware you can make the wan into a lan. meaning you can plug in your ubiquiti if you need the extra range (i use a ubiquiti nanostation when i need the extended range).
Contributor - Level 2

You've already experienced the horror of losing connection during a show. People have used small routers but IMHO I use a router with external antenna's and I don't want it mounted in a rack with my mixer. I want the router away from obstacles, mic cables, metal etc. The higher and closer to me the better. The more antennas the better.

the routers with the external routers have better range.

I also carry three pieces of cat5 with me. 6FT, 25FT and 75FT. Sometimes I use the 25 ft to get the router off the stage or closer to me every once in a while. I've never needed the 75ft but I'm much happier knowing its with me at a gig and within a short period of time I can hardwire to my laptop if wifi lets me down.
Super Contributor - Level 2

Stef Brandjes;157738 wrote:
To minimize the number of powercables I prefer to use an accesspoint hard wired to the XR18 instead of a router. Does the XR18 support PoE? If so, can I use an accesspoint like an Ubiquiti UAP instead of a router? I see that the XR18 can function as a DHCP-server so I'm guessing it can work.

You will absolutely want to free the XR18 from as much network burdon as possible. So, do yourself and the XR18 a favor and just use it as a cabled network client. So you will want to use an external router. Moreover, that's the only way to use a cable connected laptop simultaneously with wifi controll devices.
You can still use an additional PoE access point that is connected to the router. I occasionally do so when the rack with my MR18 has to be positioned too far backstage. I always carry the access point with me when I'm using the MR18.
Contributor - Level 2

I use an Ubiquiti nanostation M5 access point and a netgear network switch. I use static IP's but you can set the XR18 to DHCP server if you want.