Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

Power Supply on U-Phoria UMC404HD

Contributor - Level 1
First time user of the U-Phoria UMC404HD. It is connected to my computer Via USB. Do I also need to plug in the power supply?

Thanks - Jim
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES

Re: Power Supply on U-Phoria UMC404HD

Contributor - Level 2
If it does seem to power up, the phantom power for condenser mics may not have adequate juice without the power adapter.
I have no idea if it works without, but per the instructions.........

Contributor - Level 3
Mark Farrell;152095 wrote:
If it does seem to power up, the phantom power for condenser mics may not have adequate juice without the power adapter.

The 404HD is basically a 204HD with an extra two inputs bolted on. The 204HD is USB powered. For mobile applications I've used the 404HD with only USB power for two channels and phantom power without an issue. I have a pair of stereo condenser mics. I suspect the phantom power for the other two input channels might cause an issue but I've never tested it out. I don't have 4x condenser mics to put a full load on it but, again, I suspect it might shutdown a conventional USB port. Now, If you had a super-powered port like the 1.1A on the Macbook Pro it might work as well if the 404HD requests the boost power from the USB controller.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 1
Mark Farrell;152095 wrote:

Thank you!
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors