Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Problem adding extra tracks after multitrack recording

Hi!

My band has an XR18 with which we have recorded all instrumental tracks live in one take except vocals. So far so good. Now I want to add vocals and for the life of me cannot get the previously recorded tracks AND the monitored vocals on my headphones, which are plugged in the headphone output of the XR18. What I have managed is to output the group master of the DAW (Adobe Audition) to the headphones by outputting the stereo mix to USB 17/18 and selecting this for the Phones in the In/Out menu.
Now how do I get my vocals monitored to these headphones as well, so I can hear myself while singing? Am I missing a setting in a certain menu? Do I perhaps have to change something in the Setup/Monitor menu?
Another thing I've noticed is that when I just record vocals freely while only hearing the stereo backing mix on the headphones that during playback afterwards the singing is out of sync by a few milliseconds. It's not like I can't hear myself at all, I even tried just wearing one earphone. I've never had this before with other recordings, so either I can't sing in beat anymore or something else is wrong. Any ideas? Buffering problem perhaps?

Thanks in advance! Been struggling with this for a while, so I'm desperate for a solution! )))
AlexWouters Contributor - Level 2 2017-10-29

2017-10-29

Problem adding extra tracks after multitrack recording

Hi!

My band has an XR18 with which we have recorded all instrumental tracks live in one take except vocals. So far so good. Now I want to add vocals and for the life of me cannot get the previously recorded tracks AND the monitored vocals on my headphones, which are plugged in the headphone output of the XR18. What I have managed is to output the group master of the DAW (Adobe Audition) to the headphones by outputting the stereo mix to USB 17/18 and selecting this for the Phones in the In/Out menu.
Now how do I get my vocals monitored to these headphones as well, so I can hear myself while singing? Am I missing a setting in a certain menu? Do I perhaps have to change something in the Setup/Monitor menu?
Another thing I've noticed is that when I just record vocals freely while only hearing the stereo backing mix on the headphones that during playback afterwards the singing is out of sync by a few milliseconds. It's not like I can't hear myself at all, I even tried just wearing one earphone. I've never had this before with other recordings, so either I can't sing in beat anymore or something else is wrong. Any ideas? Buffering problem perhaps?

Thanks in advance! Been struggling with this for a while, so I'm desperate for a solution! )))

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Rock Star - Level 1

Re: Problem adding extra tracks after multitrack recording

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forums. Can you save a .scn file from your XR18 and post it here? Based on that we should be able to help you with your settings.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Here you go, we use in-ear monitoring on Buses 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6, hence the links.
An all I want is to hear my vocals while singing and the backing track is comung from the DAW on USB 17/18 Smiley Happy.
Thanks! Smiley Happy
Rock Star - Level 1

Alex Wouters;134399 wrote:
Here you go, we use in-ear monitoring on Buses 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6, hence the links.
An all I want is to hear my vocals while singing and the backing track is comung from the DAW on USB 17/18 Smiley Happy.
Thanks! Smiley Happy

Hi Alex,

Ah, I see what the problem is. You have USB17/18 routed directly to your phones. What you want to do is have Main LR routed to your phones and then mix Aux (USB17/18) into the Main LR bus. You'll then want to record the USB Sends associated with your vocal channel(s). With this routing I suspect you'll be in sync again.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Ken!
Sorry for the newb questions, but how do I mix Aux (USB17/18) into the Main LR bus?
Cheers
Alex
Rock Star - Level 1

Alex Wouters;134448 wrote:
Thanks Ken!
Sorry for the newb questions, but how do I mix Aux (USB17/18) into the Main LR bus?
Cheers
Alex

Hi Alex,

No worries. We're all here to help each other. I'm assuming you're using the X-Air Edit app since you saved a .scn file earlier.

1. Click on the scribble strip (label box) above the Aux channel to select the channel. In the scene file you posted it was "red".

2. In the menu across the top of the app, click on "Input".

3. Under Channel Source, click on "USB" to select USB as the source.

4. Under Channel Source, USB Return, Select USB17/18.

5. In the menu across the top of the app, click on "Main".

6. Under Main Output, Main Stereo, make sure the "LR" box is "orange". If it's grayed out, click on it to change it to orange. It's a toggle.

Now that the AUX channel is getting it's input from USB17/18 and it's being sent to Main LR, you can use the fader on the AUX channel to control how much of the playback goes to the Main LR mix.

Let us know what questions you have.

Ken
Contributor - Level 2

It works! Thanks Ken! I must say, if one has never done this before, it's not very intuitive if you're simply routing backing tracks for recording. At least not as intuitive as my simple Audio Box from Presonus . Then again the XR18 is quite a bit more mighty!
Rock Star - Level 1

Alex Wouters;134505 wrote:
It works! Thanks Ken! I must say, if one has never done this before, it's not very intuitive if you're simply routing backing tracks for recording. At least not as intuitive as my simple Audio Box from Presonus . Then again the XR18 is quite a bit more mighty!

Great to hear you got it working. Yes, It takes awhile to tame the XR18 beast, particularly the routing matrices, but once you get the hang of it you'll feel like a dragon slayer. In general, most folks use AUX (Analog via front panel) or AUX (USB17/18) for backing tracks and also break music.

Post any questions you have. We're here to help out.

Ken