Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Problems recording using Ardour on Linux

I am using an X32 Compact w/an X-USB card. I am trying to record using Ardour 5 on a Linux based system. My problem is there is no input registering on any tracks in Ardour. I don't know if it is the routing settings on the X32 or a setting on Ardour.

With Ardour: do you use ASLA or JACK? And is there any software/driver I have to start before starting Ardour?

What are the routing settings that are needed on the X32?

Thanks for any help.
Mark
MarkJeffries Contributor - Level 2 2019-01-13

2019-01-13

Problems recording using Ardour on Linux

I am using an X32 Compact w/an X-USB card. I am trying to record using Ardour 5 on a Linux based system. My problem is there is no input registering on any tracks in Ardour. I don't know if it is the routing settings on the X32 or a setting on Ardour.

With Ardour: do you use ASLA or JACK? And is there any software/driver I have to start before starting Ardour?

What are the routing settings that are needed on the X32?

Thanks for any help.
Mark

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Problems recording using Ardour on Linux

I haven't used the X32 with Ardour yet but I fired it up for a look.

Make sure the x32 is recognised as a USB device. Open up a terminal window and type:
lsusb then enter. This will list your devices, mine shows up as:

Bus 010 Device 003: ID 1511:0047

(I use Cymatic's card so my number is different.)

Open up Jack on its own and make sure its configured for USB audio.

"Setup" then the drop down menu for the interface. Also, make sure the sample rate matches the x32 and don't forget to download the Calf plug-ins, they are great!
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Problems recording using Ardour on Linux

Hi,

I can at least confirm that it should work. I think I tried ardour 5 on an ubuntu based linux distribution (running KDE/plasma as window manager).

After starting ardour and selecting/creating a project, you need to decide whether to use jack or alsa. Furthermore, you need to select the input and output audio device. For this, look for something with x32 in it's name.

After continuing you should be able to see the editing screen where you can create new tracks. Iirc, the channel strip on top contains a small number that allows you to select any of the 32 channels of the x32.

In other words, if you selected the right input/output device, I think that the routing between alsa/ardour is more or less set up correctly by default.

On the X32, you you might verify the 'card-output' on the routing screen. There you decide which signals are sent to the 32 outputs of the x32 that are connected to the inputs of the USB card.

Just let me know if this helps or whether I need to get into more details.

Greetings,
Wilbert.