Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

QX1202USB - record while playing to a backing track?

Hi, so - I would like to record a bass line played to a track that was sent to me. I need to hear the backing track plus the signal from a microphone (recording from a bass combo) in my headphones, so that the backing track doesn't get into the mix and hear my own playing. And I need to send the main mix (consisting of only the single microphone signal) to the digital recorder (out to USB). How do I achieve this with QZ1202USB?

I tried sending the backing track into the 2-track IN, but then: 

if I have "2TR to phones" on, i can hear the 2TR in headphones allright, but not the microphone even though the microphone signal gets out to the USB

if I have "2TR to main mix", then I can hear both 2TR input and microphone in the headphones (hurray?) but - nothing goes to the USB (why oh why?)

It is a simple enough application, isn't it? So should be possible to do this, I guess I am missing something here... Please advise!

makassiouk Contributor - Level 1 2020-03-25

2020-03-25

QX1202USB - record while playing to a backing track?

Hi, so - I would like to record a bass line played to a track that was sent to me. I need to hear the backing track plus the signal from a microphone (recording from a bass combo) in my headphones, so that the backing track doesn't get into the mix and hear my own playing. And I need to send the main mix (consisting of only the single microphone signal) to the digital recorder (out to USB). How do I achieve this with QZ1202USB?

I tried sending the backing track into the 2-track IN, but then: 

if I have "2TR to phones" on, i can hear the 2TR in headphones allright, but not the microphone even though the microphone signal gets out to the USB

if I have "2TR to main mix", then I can hear both 2TR input and microphone in the headphones (hurray?) but - nothing goes to the USB (why oh why?)

It is a simple enough application, isn't it? So should be possible to do this, I guess I am missing something here... Please advise!

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Re: QX1202USB - record while playing to a backing track?

Hello @makassiouk , welcome to the community.

You are running in to one of the limitations of the built-in USB interface. When you add the USB/2-Track to the mix, it mutes the USB record feed to prevent feedback. I think your best bet is to send the backing track into one of the stereo channels (5/6, 7/8, 9/10 or 11/12).

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for the quick response. 

Urgh... hating this, to be honest. They could have at least withing this logic separated USB from analog 2TR. I.e. why would you create a feedback on one if you are taking signal in on the other?.. 

I might actually have to part ways with this board over this. 

If I send the backing track into one of the channels, it gets into the main mix and into the recording. I could try hard-panning them to their own stereo channels, which for this "project" might do, but... yeah... Well, thanks for confirming my suspicions, then! 

Superhero - Level 3

@makassiouk wrote:

Thank you for the quick response. 

Urgh... hating this, to be honest. They could have at least withing this logic separated USB from analog 2TR. I.e. why would you create a feedback on one if you are taking signal in on the other?.. 

I might actually have to part ways with this board over this. 

If I send the backing track into one of the channels, it gets into the main mix and into the recording. I could try hard-panning them to their own stereo channels, which for this "project" might do, but... yeah... Well, thanks for confirming my suspicions, then! 

@makassiouk 

You may be better getting a UMC 204HD or UMC 404HD. These let you listen to a mix of playback from USB along with the live inputs while you record only the inputs over USB. They don't have EQ or effects though.