Contributor - Level 2

Question about playback from USB

I enjoyed my X32 Rack for about a year now and it worked flawless for about 20 shows.
But there is one thing that I can't get my head around: the playback function from USB.
I like to play music before and after shows, so I put wav files on a USB drive and they sound great.
But I always click the 'Play folder' option, and mostly it stops playing after the first song.
Than I click the second song, and again it stops after that song, and so on.
Sometimes it plays all, but mostly not.
The files are all in the root of the drive.
Is it mandatory that they are in folders?
Anyone else with this issue?

I don't know if it is relevant, but I also have the X-Live card installed.
Controling is done from X32 Edit on Win10.
AnthonieHunter Contributor - Level 2 2018-12-09

2018-12-09

Question about playback from USB

I enjoyed my X32 Rack for about a year now and it worked flawless for about 20 shows.
But there is one thing that I can't get my head around: the playback function from USB.
I like to play music before and after shows, so I put wav files on a USB drive and they sound great.
But I always click the 'Play folder' option, and mostly it stops playing after the first song.
Than I click the second song, and again it stops after that song, and so on.
Sometimes it plays all, but mostly not.
The files are all in the root of the drive.
Is it mandatory that they are in folders?
Anyone else with this issue?

I don't know if it is relevant, but I also have the X-Live card installed.
Controling is done from X32 Edit on Win10.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Question about playback from USB

Hi Anthony,

I'm using the X-Live card, with the latest firmware (both X-Live and X32) and using X32-Edit (and M32-Edit) on my Win 7 laptop. I just finished our monthly jamboree, where I used the USB player to play a folder of country songs before the jamboree started and it worked flawlessy (on folder mode - it went from song to song). If it is only playing one song then stopping when using the folder mode, I would check the wav files to ensure that all are 44K (or 48K - depending on the console setting), 16 bit, plain-jane files.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.
I made a selection of mp3 files to 1 folder, and used Switch Sound File Converter to convert them to wav, all in 1 run.
Settings: Auto (Preserves Original Format)
Encoding: PCM Uncompressed
Format: 44100 Hz, 16 Bits, Stereo
Than copied them to the root of an USB drive.

So by converting them all in1 run I assume they are all in the same format.
The X32 Rack is in 44,1 mode and both X32 and X-Live have the latest firmware.
I will start experimenting with different USB drives and/or putting files in folders on the drive.
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Metadata! It knows you stole them so it stops playing in protest!Smiley Wink It also checked for internet service so it could report you to ASCAP and called the local authorities! Hard to do all that and keep on keepin on, folder or no folder! I know I want my 1/1000 of 1 cent royalty dammit. Rules are the rules
Contributor - Level 2

LOL!
I had to look up ASCAP, it seems an American thing.
No worries, I'm in Europe...
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

You probably want a PC-based player. Those can play anything! At that point, the console just takes a live input.

I've never had good luck with any kind of embedded player. They're all too finicky. A lot of them even require a specific subformat so that a simple check of the file extension isn't enough. So I've learned to ignore anything built-in and play my stuff from a PC instead.

[/HR]
Personally, I like MPD running on a Pi:
https://www.musicpd.org/

Load my music on the Pi, and use a free client (I like GMPC for Windows or Linux: https://gmpclient.org/ ) to control it.

It's a client/server architecture, which means that the player and the user interface are designed to be on different machines with a network in between, but nothing says they can't be installed on the same machine.
Contributor - Level 2

But that would require the OP to have another box. The USB player in my X32 Compact performs fine and is much simpler than using up inputs and playing back from the iPad or MBP.
Contributor - Level 2

Sam Spoons;157617 wrote:
But that would require the OP to have another box. The USB player in my X32 Compact performs fine and is much simpler than using up inputs and playing back from the iPad or MBP.

Yes, it needs another box, but since he already has a Rack, the end result is really not that bad. It might take a bit to set up, and to think through all the contingencies so that it really is a set-and-forget solution - battery backup, auto-start the player service, auto-shutdown, etc. - but then it "just works" like mine does, without having to think about it anymore.

If you can get a Banana Pi Pro, then you can just drop my pre-fab image onto an SD card and be mostly there already, or you can follow my instructions to get an equivalent function on a Raspberry:
https://forum.musictri.be/showthread.php?13813-18-track-Recorder-Remote-Jukebox-Solo-Talkback-Stream...
Or you can go to MPD's site and follow their instructions if that's ALL you want.

[/HR]
Basically, it's a trade-off:

One way makes it work for practically everything without having to think about format conversions, etc. Just drop stuff on there, refresh the library, and play.

The other gives you fewer boxes.

And even the box count is a moot point after it's all done because the extra box can be attached and therefore doesn't count. You just have to do the work to get there.