Re: Record with Logic Pro X, P16 IEMs, M32R scene for cycle recording with Logic patches
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Record with Logic Pro X, P16 IEMs, M32R scene for cycle recording with Logic patches

Our group of friends get together for a couple hours each weekend for band practice/jamming.

GOAL:
We want to use our DAW's (Logic Pro X) 'Cycle Record' to do multiple takes of a song. We need our musicians to hear the click track from the DAW in their IEMs (P16s) as well as hear themselves with the Logic patches applied as we record and be able to hear all the tracks playback that aren't currently being recorded at any time in their IEMs and over the PA Speakers.

Anyone willing to impart wisdom on the M32R scene and/or the Logic setup? Certainly lots of folks must do this easily/successfully. I've spent weeks watching YouTube videos and reading tutorials, searching these forums and so far we're not close to our goal. And since I don't know what I don't know...I've tried to be clear (but not too concise) in my descriptions.

PROGRESS:
Our MIDAS 32R scene was created by watching a YouTube video and my blindly following routing steps (as best as could) by Drew Brashler case study for "Jerry." We had to tinker with the scene to get it to send audio to our PA speakers and then again when we added a DN32-LIVE Expansion Module board. (I certainly did something wrong with the DCAs and/or Matrixs and with the routing set-up.)

PROBLEMS:
Besides not knowing what I don't know, the scene lets us record to Logic, but can't interact back to the board or IEMs (can't send click track, do multiple takes with a cycle, etc.) with Logic during recording.
The two mains-out send the raw inputs from Local 1-16 to the PA.
The scene also sends the raw inputs to the six P16-Ms, so the Logic tracks with patches aren't sent to the P16-Ms.

And the Logic patches aren't sent to our Mains out either.

And we can't replay the Logic takes to the PAs or to the P16-Ms.

We record a song in Logic. Hit pause. Talk to each other. Hit record again. Each take is separate - not cycled - not sharing a click track, etc. So we're not able to use the Cycle Recording feature we need.

At the end of each session, the techie (me) picks the best takes for each song and mixes that song takes with Logic Pro X.

Since our scene is not set correctly for using the Logic Pro X cycle with click tracks, the editing options for a song are limited - not same BPM for each take.)
(We used to be able to do cycle recording when we used our old PreSonus board.)

Hardware:
1 MIDAS 32R
Klark Teknik DN32-LIVE SD/SDHC and USB 2.0 Expansion Module
1 P16-D hub
6 P16-M
1 HOSA 16 port snake (to be replaced in August by an S32 Digital Snake)
2 TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play Acoustic boxes (for two female vocals and 2 acoustic guitars)
1 2015 MacBook Pro 13 running Mohave 10.14.5
2 iPads
2 ION PA speakers

Software:
Logic Pro X 10.4.5
Logic Remote app for iPad
M32-Edit app for iPad

DESIRED WORKFLOW I THINK:
HERE's the MIDAS 32R scene and Logic Pro X setup we'd like to figure out the routing for:

From the 6 musicians:
2 female vocals Heil PR 40 mics (inputs 3 & 4)
4 male vocals SM58 mics (inputs 1 & 2 & 5 & 6)
2 empty inputs (maybe 1 for click track and one for iphone to send song ideas to P16-Ms) (inputs 7 & 8)
2 (L/R) analog out from Roland TD20 drum kit (inputs 9 & 10)
1 Electric Bass from DI (input 11)
2 acoustic guitars (inputs 12 & 13)
1 Lead Guitar out from DI (input 14)
1 Yamaha P121 keyboard w L/R analog out (inputs 15 & 16)
*8 analog out from same Roland TD20 (we think these would come in on the 6 MIDAS aux in along with inputs 9&10?)

into the Hosa analog snake (to be replaced in August by a backordered S32 Digital Snake)

into the MIDAS 32R (1 input to 1 channel for MIDAS pre-amp inputs - * 6 analog from Roland into aux in?)

out to DN32-LIVE card

out to Logic Pro via USB

(here's where we could have the click track, add patches to the channels, use the cycle to record multiple takes, etc.)

back to DN32-LIVE via USB

into MIDAS (which inputs/channels ?)

out to P16 and to PAs

Not sure if we want to (or even should) control Logic from computer and/or from iPad app (Logic Remote) or from MIDAS and/or from iPad app (M32 Edit) though I've been successful connecting those apps to the M32R and to the MacBook's Logic software. That was the only thing I've been able to accomplish easily and successfully.

I've attached the zipped scene as it currently is.

webb_k Contributor - Level 3 2019-07-17

2019-07-17

Record with Logic Pro X, P16 IEMs, M32R scene for cycle recording with Logic patches

Our group of friends get together for a couple hours each weekend for band practice/jamming.

GOAL:
We want to use our DAW's (Logic Pro X) 'Cycle Record' to do multiple takes of a song. We need our musicians to hear the click track from the DAW in their IEMs (P16s) as well as hear themselves with the Logic patches applied as we record and be able to hear all the tracks playback that aren't currently being recorded at any time in their IEMs and over the PA Speakers.

Anyone willing to impart wisdom on the M32R scene and/or the Logic setup? Certainly lots of folks must do this easily/successfully. I've spent weeks watching YouTube videos and reading tutorials, searching these forums and so far we're not close to our goal. And since I don't know what I don't know...I've tried to be clear (but not too concise) in my descriptions.

PROGRESS:
Our MIDAS 32R scene was created by watching a YouTube video and my blindly following routing steps (as best as could) by Drew Brashler case study for "Jerry." We had to tinker with the scene to get it to send audio to our PA speakers and then again when we added a DN32-LIVE Expansion Module board. (I certainly did something wrong with the DCAs and/or Matrixs and with the routing set-up.)

PROBLEMS:
Besides not knowing what I don't know, the scene lets us record to Logic, but can't interact back to the board or IEMs (can't send click track, do multiple takes with a cycle, etc.) with Logic during recording.
The two mains-out send the raw inputs from Local 1-16 to the PA.
The scene also sends the raw inputs to the six P16-Ms, so the Logic tracks with patches aren't sent to the P16-Ms.

And the Logic patches aren't sent to our Mains out either.

And we can't replay the Logic takes to the PAs or to the P16-Ms.

We record a song in Logic. Hit pause. Talk to each other. Hit record again. Each take is separate - not cycled - not sharing a click track, etc. So we're not able to use the Cycle Recording feature we need.

At the end of each session, the techie (me) picks the best takes for each song and mixes that song takes with Logic Pro X.

Since our scene is not set correctly for using the Logic Pro X cycle with click tracks, the editing options for a song are limited - not same BPM for each take.)
(We used to be able to do cycle recording when we used our old PreSonus board.)

Hardware:
1 MIDAS 32R
Klark Teknik DN32-LIVE SD/SDHC and USB 2.0 Expansion Module
1 P16-D hub
6 P16-M
1 HOSA 16 port snake (to be replaced in August by an S32 Digital Snake)
2 TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play Acoustic boxes (for two female vocals and 2 acoustic guitars)
1 2015 MacBook Pro 13 running Mohave 10.14.5
2 iPads
2 ION PA speakers

Software:
Logic Pro X 10.4.5
Logic Remote app for iPad
M32-Edit app for iPad

DESIRED WORKFLOW I THINK:
HERE's the MIDAS 32R scene and Logic Pro X setup we'd like to figure out the routing for:

From the 6 musicians:
2 female vocals Heil PR 40 mics (inputs 3 & 4)
4 male vocals SM58 mics (inputs 1 & 2 & 5 & 6)
2 empty inputs (maybe 1 for click track and one for iphone to send song ideas to P16-Ms) (inputs 7 & 8)
2 (L/R) analog out from Roland TD20 drum kit (inputs 9 & 10)
1 Electric Bass from DI (input 11)
2 acoustic guitars (inputs 12 & 13)
1 Lead Guitar out from DI (input 14)
1 Yamaha P121 keyboard w L/R analog out (inputs 15 & 16)
*8 analog out from same Roland TD20 (we think these would come in on the 6 MIDAS aux in along with inputs 9&10?)

into the Hosa analog snake (to be replaced in August by a backordered S32 Digital Snake)

into the MIDAS 32R (1 input to 1 channel for MIDAS pre-amp inputs - * 6 analog from Roland into aux in?)

out to DN32-LIVE card

out to Logic Pro via USB

(here's where we could have the click track, add patches to the channels, use the cycle to record multiple takes, etc.)

back to DN32-LIVE via USB

into MIDAS (which inputs/channels ?)

out to P16 and to PAs

Not sure if we want to (or even should) control Logic from computer and/or from iPad app (Logic Remote) or from MIDAS and/or from iPad app (M32 Edit) though I've been successful connecting those apps to the M32R and to the MacBook's Logic software. That was the only thing I've been able to accomplish easily and successfully.

I've attached the zipped scene as it currently is.

• 0 Kudos
  • 11 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Re: Record with Logic Pro X, P16 IEMs, M32R scene for cycle recording with Logic patches

@webb_k 

Here is a scene that might work for you.

Four subgroups: Drums (including AUX 1-6), Vocals, Instruments, DAW—All feed the LR Bus (XLR out 7 8)

For the P16: Drums Subgroup, Vocal Subgroup, DAW Subgroup, Bass, GTR, GTR, GTR, Key (left side), (slot for click), FX1 (left side). FX2 return (left side), L, R

I'm assumming you want click on it's own channel, then it can be routed and monitored separately (and not be in the LR bus).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

> I've never seen anyone use the matrix in the way you are; very creative.

The idea came from the Drew Brashler tutorial for Jerry - though I'm sure I've messed it up from what Drew intended. Drew wanted to send Matrices 1 & 2 to the main hall (along with a crossover for the subs on Matrix 3, I think), and then other Matrices to send to other locations in a building such as a mono feed to the foyer and a cry room.

>You can use the busses as normal subgroups which then feed the LR Bus...and the bus fader will control the level for all the drums (and it can be sent on ultranet). Adding the extra drums from the aux-in to this group is no problem.

This makes sense.

> Busses 13-16 are automatically setup for 4 stereo effects. No need to use bus 11,12 unless you're feeding external processors.

We're not feeding external processors, so if I'm following correctly, doing this would free up those two busses (11 & 12) along with freeing up mix busses 1-4 that aren't being used anymore to send back to four IEM through the HOSA snake. Those could then be used to mix some of the individual tracks to get our track count down to fit the 16 available channels on the P16 IEMs.

> Do you want all the DAW channels on a subgroup (or two) to feed the P16s?

Yes, earlier you mentioned that it is a good idea to send a full stereo LR feed to two of the P16 IEM channels, and then the other live individual tracks (some mixed down like the drums) to 13 other channels, with one channel left to bring the click track to the musicians. Before you mentioned using mix busses and the LR to the P16 IEMs, sending a full stereo (LR) feed on two of the P16 channels hadn't occurred to me. I was stuck in the "one-input to one-output" way of thinking about the P16s.

> Are you running the click into the mixer? What channel is it on?

I hadn't been successful getting the click onto a track in Logic that could be sent into the mixer. However I did make progress a month ago. I found a YouTube video with comments from a user called "versure" who gave this simple way to get a click track added to a Logic track.

1. [In Logic,] Go in to your Mixer window (Command + 2).
2. At the top, you can choose between "Single", "Tracks", and "All". Select "All"
3. Find Logic's default "CLICK" track. Right click anywhere on that track and select "Create Track"
4. You're done! Find the track all ready to go in your Main Window.

Those four steps helped me get the click track onto a numbered track in Logic (and not just in the metronome). That's where I stalled. My thinking is that when I can get all the routing set up to meet our goals, the click track would go out to channel 21 or 23 of the M32R and then be sent to the P16 IEMs on a channel that can be muted by a vocalist who may not want to hear the click track.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@webb_k wrote:

We're not feeding external processors, so if I'm following correctly, doing this would free up those two busses (11 & 12) along with freeing up mix busses 1-4 that aren't being used anymore to send back to four IEM through the HOSA snake. Those could then be used to mix some of the individual tracks to get our track count down to fit the 16 available channels on the P16 IEMs.

That is correct. 

I hadn't been successful getting the click onto a track in Logic that could be sent into the mixer. However I did make progress a month ago. I found a YouTube video with comments from a user called "versure" who gave this simple way to get a click track added to a Logic track.

2. At the top, you can choose between "Single", "Tracks", and "All". Select "All"
3. Find Logic's default "CLICK" track. Right click anywhere on that track and select "Create Track"

Those four steps helped me get the click track onto a numbered track in Logic (and not just in the metronome). That's where I stalled. My thinking is that when I can get all the routing set up to meet our goals, the click track would go out to channel 21 or 23 of the M32R and then be sent to the P16 IEMs on a channel that can be muted by a vocalist who may not want to hear the click track.

Instead of using Logic's metronome (for live performances), I create a MIDI "click" track using Klopfgeist as the Software instrument. Then I route it to my X32. By have having an actual MIDI click track, I control when and how it plays and it's much easier to route. 

This scene has a click on channel 23. It's routed to the P16s and also output XLR6. The card inputs (from Logic) are back to their original places.

Hopefully this gets you in the ballpark of what you might want to do. 

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Hi @webb_k 

Edit: I was going to say, I can't see your scene; however, while writing the reply, I could see it at the very bottom. I wonder if this is a forum bug or just my computer. I'm reposting the original scene so others can see it. I see it now.

I need to study the scene and description to see what you are doing and what you want. Just a few questions. Do you want to p16 to mix just the live musicians or the DAW tracks? There is a 16 channel limit, but busses and the main LR can be sent. Are you using all the busses for monitoring as well?  What are you using the Matrix for? Wouldn't the LR bus sent to XLR 7 & 8 be simpler ( and less confusing)? 

What is "Logic patches applied as we record" ? Is that processing using Logic's Plug-ins?

Edit #3: Since you're returning all your DAW tracks on 9-16, I don't think you want Aux Remap on.

Are you recording everything live (with multiple passes) or overdubbing just some of the parts?

Sorry, I'm still trying to get a handle on your workflow? 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

>What are you using the Matrix for? Wouldn't the LR bus sent to XLR 7 & 8 be simpler ( and less confusing)?

Drew Brashler's YouTube tutorial included the Matrix set up. His set up was meant for live events. As I recall, he had it set for 3 speakers with crossovers. We don't have three speakers so we don't need the crossover.

Yes, an LR bus to XLR 7 & 8 would definitely be simpler to send to the PAs.

> What is "Logic patches applied as we record" ? Is that processing using Logic's Plug-ins?

Yes.

> Are you recording everything live (with multiple passes) or overdubbing just some of the parts?

We want to do both. We want to record with multiple passes (multiple takes) and then adjust the Cycle region in Logic to re-record a specific section.

>Do you want the p16 to mix just the live musicians or the DAW tracks?

I want them to hear themselves as we're recording. We don't have extra DAW tracks like Loops or Software instruments that need to be returned.

For example, the first time through they would hear everything as it's being recorded (including the Logic Plug-ins) along with the click track coming from the DAW.

Then I'd set the cycle markers and as we'd re-record over the same region again. For this second pass, I could turn off the Record button for the two keyboard tracks. They would hear the previously-recorded keyboard tracks and clicktrack coming from the DAW, along with their live play that's being recorded on the second pass.

> Since you're returning all your DAW tracks on 9-16, I don't think you want Aux Remap on.

OK.

I thought we'd use the Aux In ports for more drum tracks. Right now we are bringing the Roland TD 20's LR to the board on 9 & 10. We want more control of the drum sound in our recordings, so we want to stop using just the LR output from the Roland into channels 9 & 10 and use the eight Drum module outputs instead into channels 9, 10 and the six Aux-in. (The main reason we've have a 32 port Digital Snake ordered is we've already filled up almost all 16 ports on the HOSA snake.)

> There is a 16 channel limit, but busses and the main LR can be sent. Are you using all the busses for monitoring as well?

Right now the P16s IEMs are getting the 16 raw local inputs and not anything from the M32R mix busses.

When we add in the 6 additional drum inputs, the one-to-one out to the P16s won't work so we'd probably need to send the eight drum inputs back as just a left and right on the P16 IEMs.

=======

(Thank-you Dave for reposting the scene to make it easier to see. Maybe since my original post's verbiage was so long, the forum software didn't always show the link to the zipped file. The link shows on your post though.)

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@webb_k 

When I record, I do similar things as you. I always have all the instruments live so I can always add new parts and the DAW tracks are always playing. I mute them in Logic if I don't wan;t to hear them. Maybe you should setup the P16 as a "More-Me' monitoring system. That is the LR bus is your base mix which would include all the DAW tracks and live instuments and then each player could add "More Me" so they can hear what they are playing. 

In your scene I see that busses 1-12 are labled as being used. Are they actually being used. Those mix busses are more powerful than the P16 system because you can mix all 32 inputs, 6 Aux, and 4 FX into a monitor mix. As an option, you could sent the output of those down the P16. What is the band's prefered method of monitoring? All headphones connected to P16?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

> In your scene I see that busses 1-12 are labled as being used. Are they actually being used?

Mix busses 5-12 are used. Mix busses 1-4 are not used.

In the current scene, before we got the P16 IEMs, we set mix busses 1-4 to create 4 monitor mixes that got sent back to the HOSA snake for 4 IEMs. We don't send those four mix busses to anything anymore.

Drum channels 9 & 10 are sent to Mix bus 5 & 6 (which are linked) and then are sent Matrix 1 & 2 for the PA. (I think we did it this way with the plan to add six more drum outputs to the mix bus.)

All six vocal channels (1-6) are sent to Mix bus 7 & 8 (which are linked) and then are sent to Matrix 1 & 2 for the PA.

The guitars (channels 11, 12, 14), bass (channel 13), and keyboard (channels 15-16) are sent to Mix bus 9 & 10 (which are linked) and then are sent to Matrix 1 & 2 for the PA.

Mix bus 11 is for vocal reverb and Mix bus 12 is for instrument reverb.

> Those mix busses are more powerful than the P16 system because you can mix all 32 inputs, 6 Aux, and 4 FX into a monitor mix. As an option, you could send the output of those down the P16.

That's for sure what I'd need to do with the drums. We want eight inputs from the drums but to mix them down to two of the P16 channels.

> What is the band's prefered method of monitoring? All headphones connected to P16?

The drummer and lead guitar use their P16 IEM all of the time because they need the "more me" feature. The others waffle between using a P16 IEM and listening to the PA.

If I can get all of the routing figured out, all would want to use the IEMs all the time since the click track would be used to cue when to come in and to keep the beat.

>When I record, I do similar things as you. I always have all the instruments live so I can always add new parts and the DAW tracks are always playing.

I'm so relieved to know it's possible. So now the question is how to fix my incorrect routing to make it happen for us.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@webb_kScreen Shot 2019-07-19 at 12.35.55 AM.pngI'm starting to get a handle on this scene now. I've never seen anyone use the matrix in the way you are; very creative. You can use the busses as normal subgroups which then feed the LR Bus. If you choose Sub Group, the drums subgroup will then feed the LR bus and the bus fader will control the level for all the drums (and it can be sent on ultranet). Adding the extra drums from the aux-in to this group is no problem.

Busses 13-16 are automatically setup for 4 stereo effects. No need to use bus 11,12 unless you're feeding external processors. Are you running the click into the mixer? What channel is it on? 

Do you want all the DAW channels on a subgroup (or two)  to feed the P16s?

I think we can solve this problem in no time.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@webb_k 

Here is a scene that might work for you.

Four subgroups: Drums (including AUX 1-6), Vocals, Instruments, DAW—All feed the LR Bus (XLR out 7 8)

For the P16: Drums Subgroup, Vocal Subgroup, DAW Subgroup, Bass, GTR, GTR, GTR, Key (left side), (slot for click), FX1 (left side). FX2 return (left side), L, R

I'm assumming you want click on it's own channel, then it can be routed and monitored separately (and not be in the LR bus).

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

> I've never seen anyone use the matrix in the way you are; very creative.

The idea came from the Drew Brashler tutorial for Jerry - though I'm sure I've messed it up from what Drew intended. Drew wanted to send Matrices 1 & 2 to the main hall (along with a crossover for the subs on Matrix 3, I think), and then other Matrices to send to other locations in a building such as a mono feed to the foyer and a cry room.

>You can use the busses as normal subgroups which then feed the LR Bus...and the bus fader will control the level for all the drums (and it can be sent on ultranet). Adding the extra drums from the aux-in to this group is no problem.

This makes sense.

> Busses 13-16 are automatically setup for 4 stereo effects. No need to use bus 11,12 unless you're feeding external processors.

> Do you want all the DAW channels on a subgroup (or two) to feed the P16s?

Yes, earlier you mentioned that it is a good idea to send a full stereo LR feed to two of the P16 IEM channels, and then the other live individual tracks (some mixed down like the drums) to 13 other channels, with one channel left to bring the click track to the musicians. Before you mentioned using mix busses and the LR to the P16 IEMs, sending a full stereo (LR) feed on two of the P16 channels hadn't occurred to me. I was stuck in the "one-input to one-output" way of thinking about the P16s.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@webb_k 

The scene in the last post may have a problem for you. I moved the USB input from 17-32 to 1-16. They're still mapped to M32's 17-32. If you're use to assigning tracks in Logic as 17-32, then keep doing it that way. Set it as  Routing:Inputs:Card 17-24 to Channel 17-24 and the same for 25-32. I'm just used to setting Logic to the lowest possible channels.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@webb_k wrote:

That is correct. 

Instead of using Logic's metronome (for live performances), I create a MIDI "click" track using Klopfgeist as the Software instrument. Then I route it to my X32. By have having an actual MIDI click track, I control when and how it plays and it's much easier to route. 

This scene has a click on channel 23. It's routed to the P16s and also output XLR6. The card inputs (from Logic) are back to their original places.

Hopefully this gets you in the ballpark of what you might want to do.