Contributor - Level 2

Recording from VoiceLive 3

I'm trying to record vocals with VoiceLive 3 to my PC. I have tried connecting the VoiceLive unit to a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD using the XLR outputs. But the signal comes in dry (without vocal FX). I do get a wet signal if I go directly to the PC using the USB port but it's a weak signal and seems unsatisfactory. So I guess my simplified question is, what setup exactly do I need to record wet signal from my VoiceLive 3?

On a related note, I am considering buying a TC-Helicon VoiceSolo FX150 monitor, and although it says it is suitable for use with TC-Helican vocal processors, I question whether I will have the same issue of not getting a wet signal out from the VoiceLive 3 unit.

donroberto Contributor - Level 2 2019-03-20

2019-03-20

Recording from VoiceLive 3

I'm trying to record vocals with VoiceLive 3 to my PC. I have tried connecting the VoiceLive unit to a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD using the XLR outputs. But the signal comes in dry (without vocal FX). I do get a wet signal if I go directly to the PC using the USB port but it's a weak signal and seems unsatisfactory. So I guess my simplified question is, what setup exactly do I need to record wet signal from my VoiceLive 3?

On a related note, I am considering buying a TC-Helicon VoiceSolo FX150 monitor, and although it says it is suitable for use with TC-Helican vocal processors, I question whether I will have the same issue of not getting a wet signal out from the VoiceLive 3 unit.

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Triber Moderator

Re: Recording from VoiceLive 3

Hi Don,

If you right click on you Windows Volume system tray icon and select Sounds it should take you to your audio devices. Under Playback and Recording there should be a device called "Audio Connector". Make sure this is enabled. You should now be able to select the VoiceLive in Reaper using any of the native drivers including WASAPI or WDM.

Regarding XLR levels make sure your XLR Out level is turned up in the Main Mix page of the VoiceLive. From the home screen turn one of the four knobs to navigate to the Mix page.

Secondly under Setup -> Output, make sure XLR Output Level is set to Line Level

For USB levels go to Setup -> Input, make sure USB Mode is set to DAW Tracking. 

This should allow you to get the best levels using either XLR or USB.

I hope this helps!

Testing Engineer | TC Helicon, Music Tribe

View solution in original post

Triber Moderator

Hey @donroberto,

When you're plugging the VoiceLive 3's XLR outputs into your interface, their content depends on your output mode.  To get a wet signal out the XLR outputs, go into the "Setup" menu, and on the "Output" tab set the "XLR Output Mode" to Stereo and record both XLR outputs into your interface in stereo.  If you're using the VoiceLive with an FX150, you're better off setting the output mode to "Mono" and just using the Left XLR output (which would contain the wet vocals and guitar) into the monitor.

VoiceLive 3 isn't compatible with Asio drivers - so for USB audio with Reaper you'll have to use a native Windows driver like DirectSound, WaveOut, or Wasapi (whichever gives you the lowest latency).  Hopefully that's helpful, cheers!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I would like to use Reaper as my DAW and have the ASIO4ALL v2 driver installed, but there is no signal input from any installed audio device. I have better luck using Audacity which does recognize my audio input device.

Triber Moderator

Hi Don,

If you right click on you Windows Volume system tray icon and select Sounds it should take you to your audio devices. Under Playback and Recording there should be a device called "Audio Connector". Make sure this is enabled. You should now be able to select the VoiceLive in Reaper using any of the native drivers including WASAPI or WDM.

Regarding XLR levels make sure your XLR Out level is turned up in the Main Mix page of the VoiceLive. From the home screen turn one of the four knobs to navigate to the Mix page.

Secondly under Setup -> Output, make sure XLR Output Level is set to Line Level

For USB levels go to Setup -> Input, make sure USB Mode is set to DAW Tracking. 

This should allow you to get the best levels using either XLR or USB.

I hope this helps!

Testing Engineer | TC Helicon, Music Tribe

Triber Moderator

Hey @donroberto,

When you're plugging the VoiceLive 3's XLR outputs into your interface, their content depends on your output mode.  To get a wet signal out the XLR outputs, go into the "Setup" menu, and on the "Output" tab set the "XLR Output Mode" to Stereo and record both XLR outputs into your interface in stereo.  If you're using the VoiceLive with an FX150, you're better off setting the output mode to "Mono" and just using the Left XLR output (which would contain the wet vocals and guitar) into the monitor.

VoiceLive 3 isn't compatible with Asio drivers - so for USB audio with Reaper you'll have to use a native Windows driver like DirectSound, WaveOut, or Wasapi (whichever gives you the lowest latency).  Hopefully that's helpful, cheers!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

Contributor - Level 2

I didn't see anything about "audio connector" but I did see the Behringer device listed and enabled and it worked fine with Reaper using the WASAPI drivers. I discovered also that it was important to match the sample rate between input and output device which I was able to do by selecting the Behringer device as the recording device and going to Advance Properties to set the sample rate to match that of the setting in Reaper.

When I set the output to Line Level, it was blasted way too much so I had better luck with Mic Level.

I thank you so much.

Contributor - Level 2

That info was all very helpful, especially to know that VoiceLive 3 isn't compatible with Asio drivers. I think that may have been the key to my problems. I am having success using the native WASAPi drivers.

Good to know that the FX150 will be compatible with VoiceLive 3 even in Mono mode. I will go ahead and buy a unit with that knowledge.