Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

Right setup for broadcast with 2 M32 and a DL32

Contributor - Level 1
Hi there!

After searching a lot in this forum and not finding the answers I need, I decided to tell you guys what I need and hope you'll be able to shed some light for me.

I'm kinda new to this digital world, so forgive me if my questions are a bit silly.

So let's go: I'm responsible for the upgrade of my church's sound system. I've been researching a lot these last days, and have come with a few thoughts:

I'll have one M32 Live as my FOH mixer, connected to a DL32 that's gonna be on stage. Up to here, everything is ok to me.
Now comes the part that's confusing for me:
I want to have another M32, in another room, dedicated to our broadcast. So my questions on this subject are the following:
- How do I set the routing so that I can use my broadcast mixer's local outputs to feed my broadcast gear?
- I'll also need to use at least two local outputs on my broadcast M32 to feed the reference monitors in the room. How do I do that?
- Knowing that the new M32 Live comes with the Klark Teknik DN32-LIVE card by default, could I use the USB to feed the audio for my live stream, so I wouldn't need to use the physical outputs for the audio in my broadcast mixer?
- I'm still a bit confused on how the Klark Teknik DN32-LIVE card works.

My main probleml is understanding how I can send the mixed audio from my second M32 to my broadcast gear. I don't want long audio cables connected to the DL32 passing through the church just to feed the audio for my live stream. That's why I'm asking what is the best way to do that.

If any of you guys can help me with that, I really appreciate!

Thanks!
1 REPLY

Re: Right setup for broadcast with 2 M32 and a DL32

Super Contributor - Level 1
Hi and welcome to the forum, there are a lot of people who will be willing to help you out here. There are a few ways to connect your other broadcast mixer, mostly depends on location to either the DL32 or FOH imo. You only need one aes50 connection from either one, so the choice would come down to which needs the least length and will cause least clutter and difficulty installing, from my point of view anyway. The easier way would be to go from the DL32 B port to the broadcast M32 A port and choose aes50a 1-8, 9-16, 17-24 and 35-32 for all the inputs, same as FOH. That mixer can create and then route any mixes to its own output xlr's and on to other locations independent of FOH-to your broadcast gear in your case. Broadcast M32 has access to the same inputs as FOH. It will only have trim instead of gain control for each ch but should work fine. Your X-Live card can record whatever you like easily, it takes just a bit of setup and then it works and works well.

The other way to connect is to run from your FOH desk to the broadcast M32 using the B port of FOH to the A port of the broadcast desk. The routing is slightly more complex from the FOH perspective but not any different for the broadcast M32. In the FOH aes50B out menu, select aes50a 1-8, 9-16, 17-24 and 25-32 and that will mirror the FOH inputs from your DL32 and send them to the broadcast desk. In the first method you need do nothing at the FOH mixer, that's why I say easier.

BTW you may do better using the X32 general discussion forum or the Mixing (midas) forum only because a lot more eyes will see your questions and probably respond faster. Good luck.

EDIT: I was thinking a bit more on this and realized you may only be wanting certain mixes created from FOH to go to your Broadcast M32 as opposed to other separate mixes of the same material generated by the Broadcast M32 with another engineer. If that's the case, maybe you could say how you want it to work and we can try to help. Also in that case it may be best to go from mixer to mixer,
Conversation Stats
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors