Contributor - Level 2

Router to X Air 18

I am going to purchase this router for my X Air 18 Linksys Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Smart Router (EA6700-CA)
Im trying to understand the setup.......

When I use this will it secure my connection as good wireless as hard wired.
I use a tablet which has no Ethernet port so my connection would be "Router to X Air18 connected wireless from tablet to router....
Thanks for input....
Dan
DanGallant Contributor - Level 2 2018-01-02

2018-01-02

Router to X Air 18

I am going to purchase this router for my X Air 18 Linksys Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Smart Router (EA6700-CA)

I use a tablet which has no Ethernet port so my connection would be "Router to X Air18 connected wireless from tablet to router....
Thanks for input....
Dan

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Router to X Air 18

Dan Gallant;137862 wrote:

No wireless connection can ever be as secure as a wired one, Dan. You can configure the router to use WPA2 encryption which is as good as most of us use but it is not resistant to a really determined hacker. But is there anybody who wishes you such harm? Smiley Wink

All wireless connections are also vulnerable to interference. 5GHz Wifi is usually more reliable than 2.4GHz but nothing is as reliable as a cable.

Are you sure you cannot use a USB/Ethernet adaptor with your tablet? They do not all support them but many recent ones do.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the info......

Im not against USB to Ethernet to router...
Just looking to eliminate dragging more equipment.....
I will look at your suggestion......
Will they ever come up with a sure connection I wonder,....??
Thanks
Dan Gallant
Contributor - Level 2

I always bring a laptop and a 75ft piece of cat5 with me to every gig as a backup. I've never needed to hardwire it yet but its really nice to know that I have backup in case wifi fails. I would never trust just a tablet
Contributor - Level 2

I always use at least a 5GHz router hardwired to my XAir at a gig. The Router gives me WPA2 encryption (better than the WEP that the XAir built in router gives) and multiple 5GHz channels to choose from to get away from the crowded 2 GHz range.

My Macbook Air doesn't have an ethernet port either, but I bought a fairly cheap UGreen USB to Gigabit ethernet adapter when I got the laptop. It required a driver install, but works fine. I always bring that plus a spare ethernet cable, and I can just plug into the router alongside the XAir ethernet cable if I need to, plus the router can let others still hookup wirelessly. Plus, if the router dies, you can direcly connect to the XAir with the ethernet cable.

The Linsys router you mention should be able to do all this easily. It's better than the old Apple Airport router I use, and a lot better than the old Linksys WRT-54 I used to use.

Make sure to set up the router with a good WPA2 password and with the 5Ghz radio turned on, and you should be fine for security (or at least as good as your ability to keep your password secret).

Definitely, do not try to use the built in router on the XAir at a gig. Aside from security, it has a weak radio and get's easily swamped by all the phones in the crowd with their wifi on. You might get lucky and have it work, but if it fails you're screwed.
Contributor - Level 3

The odds of someone trying to hack you at any venue is fairly high. Just run wirless for getting the system dialed in with what the audience is hearing then use a wired laptop for general mixing. Being hook up to a cable to a tablet kills the whole point of using the XAir to its full potential. I run a Cisco 5gzh access point mounted inside my rack case connected to a 5 port switch. If I need greater range I can take the access point out of the rack case, with an Ethernet extension cable set it up high if I need to. With the 5 port switch I can have a wired laptop or two as backup for general mixing or if I have WiFi issues