Contributor - Level 2

Routing Crowd Microphones

I have an X32 setup in our church and i just added a pair of crowd microphones to pick up applause and laughter during baptisms and messages. My desire is to have these microphones not present in the main LR mix that is played through the house speakers, but present in the matrix send that is being recorded in our production room. I am sure that this is just a routing thing but when I take them out of the Main LR Bus, I am also taking them out of the Matrix send unintentionally. Can anyone help me to route this properly to achieve the desired effect?

Thanks for your help in advance!
ScottHeffner Contributor - Level 2 2017-06-09

2017-06-09

Routing Crowd Microphones

I have an X32 setup in our church and i just added a pair of crowd microphones to pick up applause and laughter during baptisms and messages. My desire is to have these microphones not present in the main LR mix that is played through the house speakers, but present in the matrix send that is being recorded in our production room. I am sure that this is just a routing thing but when I take them out of the Main LR Bus, I am also taking them out of the Matrix send unintentionally. Can anyone help me to route this properly to achieve the desired effect?

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Routing Crowd Microphones

Scott Heffner;125261 wrote:

You will need to send them to a mix bus and bring up that mix bus only to the matrix not to L/R.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi

The easiest way is to probably use a spare MixBux
1. Remove Audience from MainLR
2. Send Audience channel to the MixBus - post fader
3. Send MainLR to same Maxtrix - as you currently do
4 - Remove MixBux from MainLR
5. Send the MixBus to your Matrix as well. If you pick prefader, then all of your control can be done from the channel
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

So it would be something like this: Add the crowd microphones to Mix Bus 1 and then in the Send area of Mix Bus 1, add the mix bus to the proper matrix. After that, remove the crowd microphones from the main LR bus. This should remove them from the main LR bus and add them to the matrix info that is being recorded. Right???
This would still allow me to use the gain, and eq of the channel to adjust the mics, and I would also be able to use the mix bus and sends on fader to adjust the level of crowd mic in our recording mix?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Or send all of your channels (including the audience) to the mix bus, post fader and send that mix bus to the matrix, removing it from the LR. This way, if you change the LR fader, you don't affect the level in the matrix.
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Or feed two spare pre-fader buses to the recorder, and let someone in the production room create a dedicated record mix with a tablet or computer.
Indianapolis, IN