Ozy Contributor - Level 2
Contributor - Level 2

Routing XR18 Effects to DAW

This might be an odd question.  The Effects in my DAW kinda suck (Harrison Mixbus).  I reallly like the effects in the XR18 Mixer!  Is there a way to route the effects ONLY into my DAW onto some EFFECT send channels so I can use them for mixdown and send different instruments to them instead of the ones included with my DAW? I don't want to include effects in my recorded tracks.  I want those recorded pretty straight and dry.

Ozzie Alvarez
Ozy Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-13

2019-08-13

Routing XR18 Effects to DAW

This might be an odd question.  The Effects in my DAW kinda suck (Harrison Mixbus).  I reallly like the effects in the XR18 Mixer!  Is there a way to route the effects ONLY into my DAW onto some EFFECT send channels so I can use them for mixdown and send different instruments to them instead of the ones included with my DAW? I don't want to include effects in my recorded tracks.  I want those recorded pretty straight and dry.

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Rising Star - Level 1

Re: Routing XR18 Effects to DAW

@Ozy 

Yes you can. Do want the FX returned over USB or the analog Aux outs? Are you using the DAW to create the "sends"? 

Valued Contributor - Level 1

Hi @Ozy ,

Welcome to the community.  Based on your title, you want to think about things the other way around.   As it relates to effects, you want to think of the XR18 as an external digital FX processor.  This can get complicated and confusing if you are just starting out so take it slow and ask lots of questions.  

Some things to get you started: 

- Read and get a general understanding of the mixer terms "Send" and "Return"  

- Read and understand about USB Sends and Returns on the XR18. 

- Read and understand about Tap points for USB Sends. 

- Read and understand about the Setup->In/Out Matrix

Basically, you are going to take the output of one of your tracks in your DAW and return it to the XR18 using a USB Return.  That USB Return would then be used as the input into one of the FX on the XR18. You'll then change the tap point for a USB Send to be the output of the FX and "Send" that wet signal back to your DAW. 

Hopefully this makes sense.  

Again, Feel free to ask lots of questions. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the quick response.  You’re right.  I keep getting send, return, aux, and tap mixed up in my head but this gives me something to educate myself with.  Would I do this 4 times to have 4 different effects available?  Does that mean I lose 4 tracks on my xair edit app on my pc?

Ozzie Alvarez
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Good question..  I guess I’m not well versed but I think it would be USB so I could see them in effect tracks on my daw then send different instruments to those effects.  Does that sound right?

Ozzie Alvarez
Contributor - Level 2

maybe I mean effects bus.  I do see people use effects bus and aux interchangeably which confuses me further but basically I want 4 effect buses available on my daw that contain the xr18 effects for normal use.

Ozzie Alvarez
Valued Contributor - Level 1

@Ozy wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.  You’re right.  I keep getting send, return, aux, and tap mixed up in my head but this gives me something to educate myself with.  Would I do this 4 times to have 4 different effects available?  Does that mean I lose 4 tracks on my xair edit app on my pc?

Hi @Ozy ,

I haven't used Mixbus in a while so I'll need to refresh my brain but, yes, you would have a Send from your DAW to an XR18 Return and a Send from the XR18 back to your DAW for each effect. 

What version of Mixbus are you using and are you on a Windows PC or Mac? 

@DaveMorrison was asking you about using the analog AUX outputs of the XR18 but it sounds like you want to use USB Sends/Returns to keep everything digital. 

As far as using channels on the XR18, I think we can get the routing to work without using up any analog channels. 

I've got some time to fire up Mixbus in the morning so I should have a better idea of what we need to do then. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Rising Star - Level 1

@Ozy 

The USB interface has 18 channels for both In and Out. Each FX processor is mono in and stereo out. That would be 4 signals from the DAW to feed the 4 processors and 4 wet stereo pairs (8 channels) back to the DAW. 

Contributor - Level 2

Ok so 4 signals out of the daw. 4 into the xr18 edit, 4 out of xr18 edit (stereo). Routed to 8 tracks (buses?) in my daw.  I think I’m close. I’ll play with it and get back to you guys.  Thanks for the help Smiley Happy

Ozzie Alvarez