Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Routing, direct outs, mix bus question

I have an x32 and s32. Need to make our Aviom IEM system work for the time being.

1. In the Routing menu, in the Out 1-16 menu, I selected each of the first 1-14 analog outputs, and set the Output signal to Direct out 1-14, Tap= In/LC. Everything works great. *EXCEPT* when I try to do the same thing to channel 15 and 16. I thought we had the ability to change the analog outputs on back of console. default is Main L & R. But can't we change that using the Routing menu like I did with the first 1-14 channels?

2. What's the difference between these two tabs in the Routing menu? Out 1-16 and XLR Out???

Thank you all for any help.
Tags (1)
UgurTaner Contributor - Level 2 2019-01-29

2019-01-29

Routing, direct outs, mix bus question

I have an x32 and s32. Need to make our Aviom IEM system work for the time being.

1. In the Routing menu, in the Out 1-16 menu, I selected each of the first 1-14 analog outputs, and set the Output signal to Direct out 1-14, Tap= In/LC. Everything works great. *EXCEPT* when I try to do the same thing to channel 15 and 16. I thought we had the ability to change the analog outputs on back of console. default is Main L & R. But can't we change that using the Routing menu like I did with the first 1-14 channels?

2. What's the difference between these two tabs in the Routing menu? Out 1-16 and XLR Out???

• 0 Kudos
  • 10 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: Routing, direct outs, mix bus question

[LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]
Ugur Taner;159593 wrote:
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Ugur Taner;159593 wrote:

I'm not sure why you are having that issue but suspect it has something to do with your S32 and how the aes50a 1-48 output routing is set-maybe if you post your scene it could help. Somewhere back (a long way back) a firmware update allowed the XLR out menu and the outputs 1-16 menus to be split apart. The outputs 1-16 menu defines and assigns what "out 1-8" and "out 9-16" signal sources are, anywhere those groups are used in your routing menu. The XLR out menu assigns a variety of sources including but not limited to, the outputs 1-16 assignments-to the physical XLR outputs. This applies ONLY to the physical XLR's on back of the mixer. Also things are assigned in groups of 4 there, not groups of 8. The AES50A/B out routing assigns sources to stagebox XLR outputs and can be the same sources including outputs 1-16, or quite different. This is a big help as you can now send different things from the xlr outs in several physical areas. However when they are routed the same they should send whatever you assigned. If you defined output 16 as a direct out of ch 16 and assign XLR outs 13-16 (and aes50a 9-16) to be out 'out 13-16' (and "out 9-16"), then XLR #16 on both the mixer and stagebox, should carry direct out of ch 16.[/LEFT]
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you Gary for your help. I'm attaching pictures of my routing menus. You can see in the HOME screen that I've assigned the s32 to work for all inputs. The next one shows Out 1-16. Here you see I assigned Output 1 on the board to receive its signal from Ch 01 Direct Out, PreFdr. Next picture you see my assignments for aes50-a. And final picture you see XLR Out settings.

I have successfully assigned channels 1-14 so that their direct out will take signal to outputs 1-14 on the back of the console. I have not been able to do this with output 15 and 16. No matter what, they remain as Main L/R.

I'm doing this so I can use our Aviom system (for the short term).

Thank you again for any suggestions.

HOME. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jbpzt7luzx0lu8/IMG_0133.jpg?dl=0

OUT 1-16. https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7db4je3j5d5o95/IMG_0134.jpg?dl=0

aes50-a. https://www.dropbox.com/s/scbxqniwv4gj9sm/IMG_0135.jpg?dl=0

XLR Out https://www.dropbox.com/s/93v8e32tdhqk3mg/IMG_0136.jpg?dl=0

In your output 1-16 menu, the issue would be what out 15 and out 16 say, we can only see what the out 1 assignment is. If 15 and 16 say direct out of ch 15 and ch 16 then I'm stumped. If it says main L and main R then that's why you are not getting the direct out of those 2 ch's. Each ch of the output 1-16 assignments will be exactly output from the xlr outs on the mixer (if there is 16 physical xlr's) the way you now have them set (which is the default setting). So the question is what does out 15 and out 16 have for their assignments?
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you. Here are pictures of what I did for 15 and 16. For 15, I want Direct out on channel 23 to go to Output 15 on back of console. For 16, I want Mix Bus 9 to go to Output 16 on back of console. I can't get these two to cooperate like the first 14 channels??? I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure it out.

15. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqoss1n9g0q7v4g/IMG_0137.jpg?dl=0

16. https://www.dropbox.com/s/p127vc3hyaqc9no/IMG_0138.jpg?dl=0

Well it seems to me like that should work...I'm curious if the S32 xlr's 15/16 carry the same L/R, as they are set to carry the same sources as your x32 the way it's presently set? Is that an easy thing to check? This is a full sized X32 with 32 mic pre's and 16 outs yes? If you could post your entire scene, it would be easier to see everything. Directions
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you Gary for all of your suggestions. I have continued to experiment and have discovered that the Out 1-16 menu seems to be Global affecting both console and s32 outputs.

With that said, I used Aux outputs 1 and 2 to achieve my desired outcome. Now, I can send to al inputs of my Aviom A16/i
Contributor - Level 2

I believe with some more experimenting I have discovered that the Out 1-16 settings affect both the S32 and back of console at the same time. My Main L speaker was connected to Output 15 on my S32. Every time I patched output 15 in this menu, that speaker would stop working. So, now I was able to use Aux out 1 & 2 to achieve what I wanted and get the last 2 channels working. Now I can send all 16 outputs (14 XLR and 2 Aux) to my Aviom A16/i.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Ugur Taner;159631 wrote:
Thank you Gary for all of your suggestions. I have continued to experiment and have discovered that the Out 1-16 menu seems to be Global affecting both console and s32 outputs.

With that said, I used Aux outputs 1 and 2 to achieve my desired outcome. Now, I can send to al inputs of my Aviom A16/i

Glad you got it going enough to make it work for you. FYI, the only reason they are the same at this point is because of what is set up on both menu's happens to be "out 1-8" and "out 9-16. XLR out menu is using out 1-16 and aes50a 1-8 and 9-16 out uses it too. You can change the assignment in either or both places so they do not use the same thing such that you can output different sources from each place. It's not really global. If you decide to post your scene, I would like to see why 15/16 don't do what they should be doing. Anyway good luck!
Contributor - Level 2

I also would like to find out how to make them separate. I don't know how to post a scene. I clicked on your link but am not sure how to proceed with posting a scene. Is it easy to explain?