Routing physical XLR inputs 1-16 from DL16 to channels 17-32 in M32 edit.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I’m a complete beginner when it comes to this stuff. I’m a bass player trying to wear two hats

- Hey fellas

First off I’m using Midas stuff, M32c, DL16 stage box etc. figured it’s close enough to the Behringer equipment I’d ask here. I’m trying to do some overdub recording but am kinda lost in what I’m trying to accomplish. I’d like to record bass using a physical XLR input from the DL16, routed to any of the following channels,17-32 in M32 edit/M32c. By doing this I’m thinking I can re-rout channels 17-24 and 25-32 to the card after recording to these channels. This should play back 17-32 from the card/DAW/M32 edit and leave me free to record on channels 1-16 via AES50-A 1-8 and 9-16. That is my thought anyway.

I should basically be able to record on channels 1-16 while playback is happening from channels 17-32?

I’m trying to accomplish some bass scratch tracks for a drummer to track along with. I need the scratch tracks to play back while he is tracking on channels 1 to 11. Figured if I can record bass to channel 17, I can re-route channel 17 to the card after recording so it plays back while the drummer Is tracking on channels 1-11 via AES50-A

Does what I’m wanting to do even make sense to anyone? Lol
I’m I thinking about this right? Is this even possible? I’m not sure on how to re-rout physical XLR inputs to channels 17-32 in M32 edit. Or if it’s even possible. I only have the DL16 with 16 XLR inputs.

Is there a better/correct way of accomplishing this? I’m open to all suggestions and advice.
Tags (1)
RexRenolds Contributor - Level 2 2019-01-03

2019-01-03

I’m a complete beginner when it comes to this stuff. I’m a bass player trying to wear two hats

- Hey fellas

First off I’m using Midas stuff, M32c, DL16 stage box etc. figured it’s close enough to the Behringer equipment I’d ask here. I’m trying to do some overdub recording but am kinda lost in what I’m trying to accomplish. I’d like to record bass using a physical XLR input from the DL16, routed to any of the following channels,17-32 in M32 edit/M32c. By doing this I’m thinking I can re-rout channels 17-24 and 25-32 to the card after recording to these channels. This should play back 17-32 from the card/DAW/M32 edit and leave me free to record on channels 1-16 via AES50-A 1-8 and 9-16. That is my thought anyway.

I should basically be able to record on channels 1-16 while playback is happening from channels 17-32?

I’m trying to accomplish some bass scratch tracks for a drummer to track along with. I need the scratch tracks to play back while he is tracking on channels 1 to 11. Figured if I can record bass to channel 17, I can re-route channel 17 to the card after recording so it plays back while the drummer Is tracking on channels 1-11 via AES50-A

Does what I’m wanting to do even make sense to anyone? Lol
I’m I thinking about this right? Is this even possible? I’m not sure on how to re-rout physical XLR inputs to channels 17-32 in M32 edit. Or if it’s even possible. I only have the DL16 with 16 XLR inputs.

Is there a better/correct way of accomplishing this? I’m open to all suggestions and advice.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Routing physical XLR inputs 1-16 from DL16 to channels 17-32 in M32 edit.

Hi Rex,

I did see your post, but was busy with other issues. Heading home (from work) and will respond a bit later to help you sort it all out (if Craig or others don't do it first). The answer to your main question is yes, what you want to do can be done. But the devil's in the details (so to speak).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

-Paul

Any time I see a reply from you on one of my topics it gives me a sigh of relief.

No rush, appreciate the help. I may not be able to respond until later this evening.

-Cheers
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Rex,

After reading your post a few times, there seems to be a bit of confusion with the 3rd paragraph (maybe because of a typo). Here is how I would do it.

With the DL16 on AES50-A port, assign to the first 16 channels
Routing, Inputs
* Inputs 1-8 -> AES50 A1-8
* Inputs 9-16 -> AES50 A9-16

Mirror that to the DAW (via the card out)
Routing, card out
* Outputs 1-8 -> AES50 A1-8
* Outputs 9-16 -> AES50 A9-16

For the returns from the DAW, you can do it one of 2 ways.
1. If you want to mix the returns (from DAW) in the DAW, then send a stereo mix back to the M32, assign it to the Aux In Remap
Routing, Inputs
* Aux In Remap -> Card 1-2

2. If you wan to mix the multi-track returns in the M32, you would have to setup the 16 outputs in the DAW and assign the tracks to those outputs. then assign them to channels 17-32
Routing, Inputs
* Inputs 17-24 -> card 1-8
* Inputs 25-32 -> card 9-16

Since you are using the M32C (Core) you don't have a physical mixing surface to the console, which means you will need to use an app to mix the returns (option 2). So there really isn't any advantage IMO mixing returns in the console. It would be much easier to mix returns in the DAW, eliminating the need to setup 16 outputs in the DAW (option 1).

Hope this explanation helps. If not, let me know.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Paul

Thank you so much for your reply. Got slammed with work this weekend and haven’t even had a chance to get on here. I will let you know how all works out soon.

Thanks
Rex
Contributor - Level 2

Paul,

I’ve sent you a pm. I’m kinda totally lost now..

-Rex
Volunteer Moderator

Rex Renolds;158365 wrote:
I’ve sent you a pm. I’m kinda totally lost now..

Check your PM inbox. I sent a reply a few hours ago.
Contributor - Level 2

My mistake,

I guess I didn’t know where the inbox was. See what you’re dealing with here Paul? Lol

-Rex