Contributor - Level 2

S32 and ableton live : Sending signals to X32 - Need some help

Hello,

I am a worship leader at my small church with very limited muscician and tech help and we are looking into improving the way we send out our ableton live audio tracks to the FOH (x32 console via S32). Currently we are using a 3.5mm cable split to dual 1/4" and going through DI boxes. These signals are then routed through our S32, with AES50a connection to FOH.  We are looking to obtain more control over the multitracks EQ, and be able to have the ability (at a minimum) to separate the low-end stems individually (specifically drums and bass)  out from the rest of the tracks. My initial hope was that I could simply run a USB out of my Macbook to the S32 USB input and send signals via Card slots to the X32. However, upon doing this the S32 was not recognized by ableton. Card inputs appear local at x32 only, and thus not an option since we are utilizing aes50a from our s32. This method works as intended when going directly to x32 USB input at the back of the console. As I understand from these forums, the S32 USB slot is only good for updating firmware, nothing else. Since my Mac needs to be on stage during our services, I need a way to send at least 4 outputs to the FOH (1.click/cues  2.multitracks  3. bass  4. drums)

Which brings me to my questions...

1) Is there another way to send these signals individually to the FOH? Preferably through the s32, which is just off stage.  I've come across the Klark Teknik DN9630 AES50 to usb device. Which I assume I could utilize the AES50B port? Assuming ableton recognizes this device, I would then route signal inputs from AES50B 1-8 at the x32 and setup my proper track outputs via ableton to those same 1-8? It looks like this option would run me at least $300. With this device, can I connect to the s32 AES50B port right at the s32, or do I need to route the  ethercon to FOH, directly in the x32 and plug it in to slot B there?

2) Are there other devices to acheive what I assume this device could do? Or perhaps another way to connect to our console via our S32?

2) Is there a recommended audio interface for what I'm trying to accomplish? There doesnt seem to be a lot of options with 4 XLR output devices. It seems most interfaces are geared towards input handling and recording, etc. I do see some with multiple 1/4" outputs, like the behringer UMC404HD. Would this work for what I'm trying to accomplish? The price is right. I'm just not that knowledgable in audio interfaces to know what will work and what wont for me?  I simply need a no frills way (cost effective prefered) to get at a minimum of 4 channels out of my mac to the x32 for better EQ'ing of our ableton multitracks. Let me know if anyone can help shed the light. Thanks. 

BrentDoak Contributor - Level 2 2019-05-14

2019-05-14

S32 and ableton live : Sending signals to X32 - Need some help

Hello,

I am a worship leader at my small church with very limited muscician and tech help and we are looking into improving the way we send out our ableton live audio tracks to the FOH (x32 console via S32). Currently we are using a 3.5mm cable split to dual 1/4" and going through DI boxes. These signals are then routed through our S32, with AES50a connection to FOH.  We are looking to obtain more control over the multitracks EQ, and be able to have the ability (at a minimum) to separate the low-end stems individually (specifically drums and bass)  out from the rest of the tracks. My initial hope was that I could simply run a USB out of my Macbook to the S32 USB input and send signals via Card slots to the X32. However, upon doing this the S32 was not recognized by ableton. Card inputs appear local at x32 only, and thus not an option since we are utilizing aes50a from our s32. This method works as intended when going directly to x32 USB input at the back of the console. As I understand from these forums, the S32 USB slot is only good for updating firmware, nothing else. Since my Mac needs to be on stage during our services, I need a way to send at least 4 outputs to the FOH (1.click/cues  2.multitracks  3. bass  4. drums)

Which brings me to my questions...

1) Is there another way to send these signals individually to the FOH? Preferably through the s32, which is just off stage.  I've come across the Klark Teknik DN9630 AES50 to usb device. Which I assume I could utilize the AES50B port? Assuming ableton recognizes this device, I would then route signal inputs from AES50B 1-8 at the x32 and setup my proper track outputs via ableton to those same 1-8? It looks like this option would run me at least $300. With this device, can I connect to the s32 AES50B port right at the s32, or do I need to route the  ethercon to FOH, directly in the x32 and plug it in to slot B there?

2) Are there other devices to acheive what I assume this device could do? Or perhaps another way to connect to our console via our S32?

2) Is there a recommended audio interface for what I'm trying to accomplish? There doesnt seem to be a lot of options with 4 XLR output devices. It seems most interfaces are geared towards input handling and recording, etc. I do see some with multiple 1/4" outputs, like the behringer UMC404HD. Would this work for what I'm trying to accomplish? The price is right. I'm just not that knowledgable in audio interfaces to know what will work and what wont for me?  I simply need a no frills way (cost effective prefered) to get at a minimum of 4 channels out of my mac to the x32 for better EQ'ing of our ableton multitracks. Let me know if anyone can help shed the light. Thanks. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Rising Star - Level 2

Re: S32 and ableton live : Sending signals to X32 - Need some help

@BrentDoak 

1. The DN9630 will work. I think it doesn't do 44.1k; however, 48k is no problem. 

According the single routing picture in the s32 manual, Channel 1-8 sent into the B port will be translated to 33-40 on you FOH console. Routing would be simpler going into directly to FOH AES-B.

2. Dante is a . A Dante card in the console and Virtual soundcard on the computer connected with separate Cat 5e or better cable. 

3. Analog is the cheapest route. There is nothing wrong with running 4 (or more) direct boxes. Good direct boxes can isolate noise and hum that may arise when connecting equipment directly via XLR. Ground Loops from two different power outlets are a common cause of hum. 

Rising Star - Level 2

You could use an ADA8200, it's fairly cheap and with essentially the same preamps and outs as your desk. Use the adat outs of S32 which uses aes50 17-32 by default. Set ultranet 1-8  for aes50a-17-24. Ultanet routing allows post eq taps of the aux direct outs. The ADA will get your aux chs on XLR outs 1-6 (monitor on  7 and 8) They do make devices that send lightpipe over ethernet also if you need to be at a distance. A thought anyway. You may be able to just use the ultranet routing as the source of "card out" also which will allow you post eq or post fader sends of your aux ch's.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

@GaryHiggins Would your ultranet method interfere with the P-16 monitor systems that we have in place? If so, that wouldnt be a good option for us as we are utilizing these devices as our stage monitors. Let me know if i'm missing something there? Thanks. 

Rising Star - Level 2

Yes it would...but you could also use the aux out routing menu instead (using aux1-6/M for a card out bank), same tap options for aux out routing..You may have some of the 'outputs 1-16' routing perhaps available seeing now that you use P16m's? There could be several outputs available if you are not using many mix buses, so maybe there is some room there (card out =out 1-8 or 9-16 etc). The idea is to use routing for the card out menu OTHER than local inputs which can only be pre everything. Those 3 menu's out 1-16, aux out and ultranet out all allow ch tap points beyond the preamp. If you zip and post your scene it may be helpful, we can have a better look....

Rising Star - Level 2

@BrentDoak wrote:

Hello,

I am a worship leader at my small church with very limited muscician and tech help and we are looking into improving the way we send out our ableton live audio tracks to the FOH (x32 console via S32).

The ADAT interface on the S32 is out only. If you want to send signal from your computer on stage to FOH, ADAT via S32 won't work.

The most elegant is to use another X32 on stage (X32R or M32C). Use it's USB interface and route the signal to FOH. In addition, it would also function as a proper monitoring console that would support 8 (or 9) stereo pairs of IEM monitoring.