Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

SD16 and X32 setup **Red Indicator"

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: SD16 and X32 setup **Red Indicator"

@Fnl61 

Hello Fred, welcome to the forum.

Are you using a good quality Ethercon cable to connect the X32 and SD16? The cable must be at least Cat5e F/UTP with shielded RJ45 connectors and Ethercon shells with ground continuity from end to end. The cable must be wired straight as in pin1-pin1 ... pin8-pin8.

Check that the X32 is set for internal synchronization.

Contributor - Level 2

Hello, new here, haven't figured out how to post yet it appears. I just bought an X32 and an SD16, I've read several posts about routing, which I sort of understand, but in my case the SD16 shows up in the routing page, it is connected to A but the indicator is red, and I can't seem to get the Mic I have plugged into 1 on the SD to produce any sound on the channel assigned in routing. I'm not sure I have that set up correctly either, but I'm fairly certain the indicator should be green. I have the aes50 plugged into A on the mixer, and the A led is lit green on the SD16. What must I do to have the indicator show green on the X32? Thanks in advance, I'll be needing a bunch of help as this is my first foray into digital mixing.

@Fnl61 

Hello Fred, welcome to the forum.

Are you using a good quality Ethercon cable to connect the X32 and SD16? The cable must be at least Cat5e F/UTP with shielded RJ45 connectors and Ethercon shells with ground continuity from end to end. The cable must be wired straight as in pin1-pin1 ... pin8-pin8.

Check that the X32 is set for internal synchronization.

Contributor - Level 3

Hey FN...it will be a fine journey fear not! I would guess your X32 is somehow not sync’d “internal” in other words it’s not set to be the master. Go into the setup page and make sure it is. Then your connection should work. Make sure also, in home routing you have aes50a 1-8 and 9-16 are in the first 2 slots and not set as “local” ch’s.

Sorry Rex, I’m just slow to the draw!

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the reply, at the venue I'll be installing this console I have a proper ethercon cable, here in the shop I was doing a sort of dry run to familiarize myself with the equipment and was just using a sheilded cat5e cable, but no ethercon shells. The shells are obligatory? Hmmm

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks again very much! I terminated the sheilded ends on the Cat5e again, being careful to ensure the ground connection to the ends was good, power cycled the SD16 and it now has a green indicator on the X32! It appears the ethercon shells are not absolutely required, although in actual use they'll certainly be used for their superior locking ability. I really appreciate everyone's responses, have a great day!

@Fnl61 wrote:

Thanks again very much! I terminated the sheilded ends on the Cat5e again, being careful to ensure the ground connection to the ends was good, power cycled the SD16 and it now has a green indicator on the X32! It appears the ethercon shells are not absolutely required, although in actual use they'll certainly be used for their superior locking ability. I really appreciate everyone's responses, have a great day!

@Fnl61 

Hi Fred, I'm happy to hear you are on the way to a working system. I must stress the importance of properly grounded Ethercon shells. They are essential for protection against ESD. If you need proof, check-out the series of YouTube videos by Brian Wynn. e.g. the problem and the solution.

Contributor - Level 1

Apologies for the millionth X32 post, but I'm stumped. Out of the box the X32 and SD16 were working perfectly, then when I updated the X32 to the latest firmware the screen started flickering only when the SD16 was connected(along with plenty of clock noise). Here's what I've tried to no avail: https://spanktube.vip/spankbang/ Updating firmware SD16 Rolling back the firmware on the X32 Trying different lengths of Cat5/6 cable Using different circuits All combinations of swapping cable and boot sequence Anyone else come across this? The only thing I haven't tried is ethercon, I've never had that be an issue with any of the Pro Series desks thoug. In fact, shielded non-ethercon Cat-6 has been more resilient to interference than the stock reels. https://redtube.onl/ 

https://beeg.onl/

Contributor - Level 3

I would try ethercons with shielded cat5/6/7. Could also be an SD port, I’ve seen issues reported with bad ports. Ethercons are recommended.