Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Send MIDI from DAW to External synth in Reaper?

Im trying to get the MOTOR49 to pass software MIDI data programmed in the digital audio workstation Reaper to a hardware external synth, but Im having difficulty.

Connecting the external synth to the MOTOR 49's MIDI OUT port, selecting the MOTOR49 in the MIDI Hardware Output dropdown, and sending data on channel 1 in Reaper results in no MIDI data being sent. If the external synth is connected to the MOTOR49s MERGE/THRU port, with the same options selected in software, the result is a stuck MIDI note on regardless of playback or key press, and garbled MIDI when attempting playback from Reaper.

Im 100% certain this is a MOTOR49 issue because I can easily send the correct MIDI data to the external synth using another an Axiom 49's MIDI USB Out functionality. Im curious to know how this is accomplished on the MOTOR49.

Thanks!
MortSubite Contributor - Level 2 2017-01-09

2017-01-09

Send MIDI from DAW to External synth in Reaper?

Im trying to get the MOTOR49 to pass software MIDI data programmed in the digital audio workstation Reaper to a hardware external synth, but Im having difficulty.

Connecting the external synth to the MOTOR 49's MIDI OUT port, selecting the MOTOR49 in the MIDI Hardware Output dropdown, and sending data on channel 1 in Reaper results in no MIDI data being sent. If the external synth is connected to the MOTOR49s MERGE/THRU port, with the same options selected in software, the result is a stuck MIDI note on regardless of playback or key press, and garbled MIDI when attempting playback from Reaper.

Im 100% certain this is a MOTOR49 issue because I can easily send the correct MIDI data to the external synth using another an Axiom 49's MIDI USB Out functionality. Im curious to know how this is accomplished on the MOTOR49.

Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Send MIDI from DAW to External synth in Reaper?

What firmware version is your Motör on? v1.081 is currently the latest one.

PC or Mac?

Are you connected to your computer using usb?

Perform a 'reset settings' to make sure that you haven't changed any settings by mistake (yes, this will blow away any presets that you may have created) and then in reaper select the 2'nd port of the motör as this is the midi ports on the motör.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Send MIDI from DAW to External synth in Reaper?

Current firmware, PC, USB , MID Port 2 is selected in the Control Surface Mackie Control driver, but under MID Devices, the output port is set to

Motor 49 Keyboard enabled
MIDIOUT2 (Motor49 Keyboard)

Should I enable the 2nd MIDI port in the MIDI Devices ouput section?