Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Setting up a Post Fader Mix

Could someone give me pointer.

Usually for band monitoring of cast vocals I send a mix of the mics to a bus and rely on mic mutes to feed the bus the relevant mics signals.

This time around id like to feed the bands monitors by POST FADER so as I increase the main FOH channel for the mic channel it feeds the band monitors too.

I'm guessing this is doable but not having done it this way before I need a little help.

Can I still run it via a bus so that if I push up channel 4 FOH and its too loud in the bands monitor, the channel can be "master fed" by the corresponding bus channel?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

Thanks

Carl.
Tags (1)
CarlYoung Contributor - Level 2 2019-01-13

2019-01-13

Setting up a Post Fader Mix

Usually for band monitoring of cast vocals I send a mix of the mics to a bus and rely on mic mutes to feed the bus the relevant mics signals.

This time around id like to feed the bands monitors by POST FADER so as I increase the main FOH channel for the mic channel it feeds the band monitors too.

I'm guessing this is doable but not having done it this way before I need a little help.

Can I still run it via a bus so that if I push up channel 4 FOH and its too loud in the bands monitor, the channel can be "master fed" by the corresponding bus channel?

Thanks

Carl.

• 0 Kudos
  • 12 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Setting up a Post Fader Mix

Carl Young;158648 wrote:

Thanks

Carl.

When doing Musical theater, I have a Mix Bus for Talking and a Mix Bus for singing and I usually only give the conductor a monitor. I then feed those Mix Bus feeds to a Matrix. This way I can give and overall level difference to the singing and the talking and the conductor loves it. The singing usually needs to be louder in the monitor then the talking. But I am also using external Automixers for the dialog parts so this helps a lot also. I can give you more detail if you want.
Contributor - Level 2

Things just got a bit more complicated. The band want 4 separate mixes. So now I need to be able to send a POST fader mix of channels 1-16 to each of these monitors. I like your idea but I don't think it would work on this show. Im also not over familiar with matrix etc.

C.
Contributor - Level 3

Carl Young;158653 wrote:
Things just got a bit more complicated. The band want 4 separate mixes. So now I need to be able to send a POST fader mix of channels 1-16 to each of these monitors. I like your idea but I don't think it would work on this show. Im also not over familiar with matrix etc.

C.

Think of the Matrix as a mixer in a mixer. You could have a different Mix Bus for each of these 4 mixes that they are looking for and also have a Mix Bus for the vocals and then in the Matrix just send the Vocal Mix Bus to each of 4 Matrix sends and send the other Mix Bus sends to one each for the Matrix. Then assign the Matrix outputs to the XLR outputs in place of the 4 Mix Bus outputs.

So if you use Mix Bus 1-4 for what you want to send to these 4 monitor sends but put what you want in each minus the vocals. Then put the vocals into Mix Bus 5.
Then in matrix 1 put mix bus 5 (Vocals) and Mix Bus 1.
Then in matrix 2 put mix bus 5 (Vocals) and Mix Bus 2.
Then in matrix 3 put mix bus 5 (Vocals) and Mix Bus 3.
Then in matrix 4 put mix bus 5 (Vocals) and Mix Bus 4.
Contributor - Level 2

This is something I might look at doing when I have more time to look into it, but for now all I need os to be able to send a POST fader mix to the bands monitors. The show starts in 3 days so I don't really want to start learning something completely new.

C.
Contributor - Level 3

In that case you will want to alter the Bus sendtaps from the channels to Post Fader. but it means that you will end up with all channel Dynamics and EQ on your monitor sends as well.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Richard,

To be honest im not that worried about the dynamics etc as the monitors are usually very low anyway.

Could you run me through how id make the changes from PRE to POST on the channels you mention? Would this be on the main channels? or the BUS channels which send to the monitors?

Or have I got it wrong?

Anyone else feel free to jump in

C
Contributor - Level 3

The tap position selection is on the Sends page for each channel. So if using X32 Edit select the Sends tab at the top and select a channel. All the taps for sending to the twelve Busses and four FX Sends can be seen in the Sends panel. So just select the Post Fader button instead of what ever it is already set to. There is a Global enable icon (a globe) box at the left which if actuated will allow all the Bus Send taps to change to the same across all channels without having to select each one individually. You will still be able to adjust how much of each channel is mixed to the selected Bus but the overall level will still follow the channel fader as adjusted for the main L/R mix as it would on an analogue mixer's Post fader Aux sends.
Contributor - Level 2

Thats great, Thanks so much.

so if I find that one particular channel is a bit loud for example I can still turn down the overall volume using the bus sends on fader?

C
Contributor - Level 2

And just to be clear I set the TAP to PRE fade on the main channels... not the bus channels?