KimRawlings Contributor - Level 2 2015-06-08

2015-06-08

Setting up subwoofer with X32

Just added a subwoofer for my X32 Compact rig. Currently have L/R (7 and 8 output) into powered 15' mains. Was getting clipping with bass and kick through the mains.

What is the best way to set up the sub?

• 0 Kudos
  • 19 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Setting up subwoofer with X32

Yes the sub does not waste energy it does not reproduce, but you waste precious power by sending low end from channels that may have energy in the sub's range. For example vocal mics with a pass filter not engaged or set really low can have a lot of stage rumble and other noise that can really mud up and get in the way of the instruments you want in the sub. If you are having issues with not having enough output to adequately do a particular job one can use the power in the system more efficiently by only not reproducing any more of the range of frequencies than are necessary from each channel. Depending on what I have on stage I pass filter vocals at 200 hertz at times lower depending. I pass filter my toms in the drum kit at 160 hertz sometimes lower. Its like a puzzle. If you only have limited power in your system you need to keep the mix efficient to get what you need with out going beyond the limits. Even if you have a powered sub that has its on internal crossover, it my not be adjustable and may be too high and may not have the desired curve to be efficient in a particular set up so setting your own crossover point for it can be very helpful and save eq work later. A little pink noise though each part of the system separately while operating the cross over filter can help narrow down what each component does and adjust accordingly.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

There should be little low end getting to the subs from those channels, with a rock band LPFs should be engaged on everything except kick, low toms, bass and keys. Accepted that with older analogue desks the channel HPF was usually set at 80/100 Hz and the the response curve a bit of a lottery so aux fed subs had a place but modern digital desks (even my budget, bar gig Mackie DL) have highly configurable channel HPFs so, if you have a digital desk the channel HPFs on vocal and instrument mics will do what is necessary (I often run the HPF's on female vocals and drum overheads in the low 300hZ range which removes all 'stage rumble/wind noise' from the equation).

Modern speaker systems are designed to run as a 'system' without some bloke like me messing with the crossover frequency and so on....... If you are using a 'system' designed by a single manufacturer (or, for the kind of gigs I do, at least one where the sub does the crossover duties) there should be no need for an aux fed sub. The sub's crossover tailors the audio received by the tops to suit the frequency band the subs take care of and the 'system's' output should be the same as it's input but louder (okay I know I'm dreaming a little here but modern kit does a pretty good job of being fairly 'transparent')
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I find quite often that even some high price subs like the Meyer powered 2x18 can stand a lower xover point and a whole lot of eq work. Matrix fed subs or aux fed subs can really speed up the eq process. I routinely end up on corporate gigs where the production supplied is aux fed sub's because there are all speech and playback then they have the band for their dance. I can dial in my mix much quicker with my subs fed from a matrix. I show up to pretty much all of my shows plug in to the rig turn on, eq the whole thing in the first half of the first song and be good to go. I have gone on after Colin James where the system tech passes me the lines for the pa and I have nothing but a line check through my head phones and check meters and I go cold in front of 3500 people. Every second counts when doing that kind of gig. Having matrix fed subs on those kinds of gigs is golden. Some small pa systems where the sub's are matched to the mid highs it can work very well letting the sub do the crossover but where I have the the power of an x32 or other comparable console I make use of the outs and processing. Its nice when you have a tablet in your hands and instead of having to go up in front of the crowd to adjust the sub level or the level for the mid highs.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

No argument with any of that Pat Smiley Tongue
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for providing those who will listen some solid, professional information to help guide them. There are so many hobbyist sound guys/gals in these communities that are well intended, but lack the true knowledge needed to give "sound" advice...pun intended.
Mike
Highlighted
Regular Contributor - Level 1

Please elaborate include routing and which connections you use at the back of the mixer?

Andre
Highlighted

Please eleberate with more details including routing which connections you use at the back of the mixer

Andre
Highlighted

Please elaborate with more details including routing which connections you use at the back of the mixer

Andre
Highlighted

Please elaborate with more details including routing which connections you use at the back of the mixer

Andre
Tags (1)
Highlighted

Please elaborate with more details including routing which connections you use at the back of the mixer..............

Andre
Tags (1)